What's new

Wonder Woman Season One June 29th (1 Viewer)

LizH

Second Unit

For the Love of God, NOT ... JLO!

It's bad enough we're being treated to Halle Berry as Catwoman In Name Only. :frowning:

JLO's got juice in the caboose ... other than that, she can't act!

MattHR

Screenwriter
I just gave the set a quick look. I'm very happy with the transfers. They are much better than Warner's "Dukes of Hazzard" set, but not quite as good as most of Universal's TV efforts. "Wonder Woman" used lots of inserted "stock" footage in its first year, since it was set in the 1940's. Obviously, these stock scenes are VERY dirty and scratched compared to the rest of the footage, and seeing it on DVD makes it more pronounced. However, it's the best I've ever seen this show look. Some scenes are almost too clear, revealing make-up on actors' faces and obvious stunt people. Shows from this era were never designed to be viewed on modern equipment, so some production limitations are easily revealed on DVD.

The pilot is presented its original 75-minute form, while the rest of the episodes appear to be unedited. There are two 2-part episodes, but do not not include the "next on" previews or "previously on" re-caps.

There is a nice 20-minute featurette with interviews with Lynda Carter and others. It's very informative and entertaining. It covers topics including the history of the character from the comics, casting, stunts, special effects, guest stars and the costume.

Lynda Carter and executive producer Douglas Cramer provide commentary (recorded together) on the pilot. I spot-checked the commentary. They have a great time recalling the series. Lynda has a genuine love for this role, and doesn't make any excuses for doing it.

The packaging is fantastic, as shown in the images from a previous post. The design nicely blends the show with images from the comic book.

Hopefully, Seasons 2 & 3 will be released. They'll probably continue the case design utilizing white and blue colors, since this set is red. The color title-rings on the three discs are also alternately colored red, white & blue. A nice touch.

I always felt that this show, like "The Incredible Hulk", was able to do so much with so little. As stated in the commentary and featurette, the cast and producers are very proud of the show and the messages it provided.

Highly recommended for fans of the show and superhero comic characters.

:emoji_thumbsup:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Wonder Woman is now #6 on Amazon.com's Top Selling Titles List! This is amazing for a show that's rarely been syndicated during the past 20 odd years.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Maybe that's why Wonder Woman is selling so well, Scott. I, myself would pay $100 a season for all the Star Trek series, but as long as I can continue to turn on Spike any day of the week and see anywhere from two to six episodes, why should I?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
True, but what I meant was that younger people aren't as familiar with the show, and may not know what it is.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Measurments: 38-26-38 (Miss USA pageant), 38-20-37 (her claim as Miss USA, 1973), 37 1/2C-25-35 ("Wonder Woman" wardrobe) (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)

Now that's a woman!:emoji_thumbsup:

Hollywood has now insisted that all women look like this!:angry:

http://www.schools.ash.org.au/murrum...es/goliath.jpg

I mean did Jennifer Connelly give in to demands to look so slim she looks ill, and have a op?:angry: :angry: :angry:

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I have fond memories of WW myself. Namely because there was not much out there for girls as role models. Most of the ideal of beauty that was rammed down our throats was blonde, blonde and more blonde. It was great to see a dark-haired woman considered beautiful. Even better was that she could kick some serious butt!

I love reading this forum, and getting information from folks who are more in the loop than I am. The interview mentioned above, where Lynda makes no apologies for playing WW (WHY she would NEED to apologize is BEYOND me!) and that she enjoyed the role... Most of the time, I read about actors/actresses whining and b*@^#ing about the roles that made them famous. But Lynda!! Someone who performed a role in a show or movie I enjoyed, AND has only fond memories of it? Cool! You rock, Ms. Carter, and I hope you'll eventually read this to know it!

Who could possibly follow in Lynda's footsteps as WW? A friend mentioned a rumor he heard that Lucy Lawless was a contender. And, another rumor has it, Lucy's a distant cousin of Lynda's.

Will K, I know this is off topic, but WHERE did you get the Kill Bilbo pic? I have a friend who is not only a Lord of the Rings fan, but also a Kill Bill fan. I'd like to get a larger copy of that pic as a surprise for him!

MattHR

Screenwriter
After watching both sides of disc 1, I've decided that these transfers are about equal to Universal's TV efforts from the same era. Warner has either remastered or struck new prints for these DVD's. Other than the hideous quality of the stock-footage inserts, the rest of the episodes look fantastic. There's a certain quality to TV shows shot on film (before the age of digital editing and post-production) that looks gorgeous when properly transfered to DVD...and this is one of them!

Warner has somehow decided to alter the original title sequence a bit for the pilot (Nov. '75) and the first two episodes (which were actually "specials" broadcast in Apr. '76 before the series began in Oct. '76). The on-screen title for these first three broadcasts was "The New, Original Wonder Woman". (This was to differentiate the show from 1974's TV-movie "Wonder Woman" starring Cathy Lee Crosby, itself a failed pilot.) When the official series aired, it was simply titled "Wonder Woman", and that's how the DVD's are presented on-screen and packaging. If you look closely when the title appears, there's a momentary digital "freezing" of the title graphic, as though the original was being covered up to hide the reference to "The New, Original". This same opening sequence is then used for all the episodes in the set. I'm not sure if the show's comic book-styled title sequence was used for these first three episodes when originally broadcast. Like most shows, they would have been altered to conform to the syndication package anyway. Does anyone know how the title sequence was originally presented for the pilot and the 2 specials?

Besides the title change from "The New, Original Wonder Woman" (first 3 episodes) to "Wonder Woman" (Season 1, ABC), when the show moved to NBC for Seasons 2 & 3 the title was changed to "The New Adventures of Wonder Woman" (to reflect that the show was now set in then-current 1977).

It probably makes sense to market the DVD's packaged as simply "Wonder Woman", assuming they continue with Seasons 2 & 3. However, I do wish they'd leave the original on-screen titles as broadcast. Oh well, small gripes about an otherwise great presentation.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure that "The New, Original" was shown on-screen or if the series was referred to as that in ads and promos only. The title change may have been done when the specials were re-ran in the summer of 1977, along with the First Season. At any rate, "The New, Original" does not appear on the Columbia House vhs videos either. I have been wondering this for some time, but no one seems to know.

MattHR

Screenwriter
A correction to my previous post: The 2-part episode "The Feminum Mystique" does contain the "previously on" re-cap at the start of part 2. It comes immediately after the opening titles, then segues directly into part 2.

However, the other 2-part episode, "Judgment From Outer Space" does not contain the re-cap. In fact, there is an obvious edit right after the opening titles. After the titles end, you hear Lynda Carter saying "And now the conclusion of 'Judgment From Outer Space'", but there is an abrupt music cue that clearly trails from a previous scene/re-cap that has been cut out. Part 2 then begins with footage shown as the last 2 minutes of part 1. Part 2 also clocks in at about 46 minutes, while the others average about 50 minutes each. So, at the least, the re-cap has been cut, but hopefully nothing else. It's possible a syndication version was used for this episode, since it appears to be about 4 minutes shorter than the rest.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
What is the exact running time of the second part? If it is :30 seconds or more on 46 minutes, it would be rounded up to the next minute...plus the missing re-cap which was probably 1:30 minutes (rounded up).....that would be closer to 49 mins. and within a reasonable running time.....the only time the show was syndicated in the early years was locally....until fX picked up the show.....since this episode was never two hours cut into two parts, and when it was officially re-run in the summer of '77 (with the same running time) then I seriously doubt it has been edited, except for the now needless re-cap.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Here is a list of the running times:

Pilot 73:48
WW Meets Baroness Von Gunther 49:41
Fausta: The Nazi WW 50:21
Beauty on Parade 50:28
Feminum Mystique Pt. I 48:30 (no Pt. II preview)
Feminum Mystique Pt. II 50:21 (includes Pt. I re-cap)
WW vs. Gargantua 49:58
Pluto File 50:12
Last of the Two Dollar Bills 50:19
Judgment From Outer Space Pt. I 48:41 (no Pt. II preview)
Judgment From Outer Space Pt. II 46:40 (no Pt. I re-cap)
Formula 407 50:00
Bushwackers 49:59
WW in Hollywood 49:50

The two "Part I" episodes are about 90 seconds shorter than the single episodes (about 50 minutes each) due to the missing "Part II" previews. "Feminum Mystique-Part II" is over 50 minutes and includes the re-cap. "Judgment-Part II" is 3-4 minutes shorter without the re-cap. It's doubtful the re-cap was 3-4 minutes, since "Part II" begins with 2 minutes of replayed footage from the end of "Part I". (Does that make sense?) I can't detect any obvious editing during the episode, but I'm not that familiar with it to notice.

Another interesting observation: The only episode to have its actual title on-screen is "Judgment From Outer Space-Part I". Strangely, "Part II" does not indicate its title on-screen, but has the obvious edit right at the start, making me think there was a bit of editing besides the re-cap.

It's really difficult being this anal about details like these. It takes the fun out of actually watching the DVD's. Imagine how Adrian Monk would deal with this!
:D

MattHR

Screenwriter
I should also mention that Warner did a great job placing the chapter marks. Although they are not indicated on the packaging or menus, they are placed at the commercial break points, right after the opening titles and right before the end titles. This is how all studios should chapter TV shows. I don't need an actual printed list of the chapters for TV shows.

Thanks, Warner!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
If there was editing where the recap was, the 2 mins. of Part One footage would probably had been deleted.....and if Feminum Mys. doesn't have the title on-screen, then hmmmm? I mean, it doesn't make sense to cut the episode at all.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
BTW....which WB logo is on the episodes.....the red background with the Black and White "W" or the "WB" shield?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks