What's new

wiring suggestions (1 Viewer)

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
I have decided to try bi wiring my speakers. I replaced the jumper with a piece of speaker wire and there was a definate improvement so I figured I would give bi wiring a try. My question is I currently have 12 guage wire run and my thoughts are to run that to the low frequency and 14 to the high or to just get two full runs of 14 per speaker. I can not use two runs of twelve do to constraints at the connector ends. What would be the better choice out of the two options?

Thanks

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
You replaced the jumper with speaker cable and heard an improvement?! I'm very sceptical about that, unless the jumper was suffering from oxidation. Try cleaning both jumpers with wire wool, replace one with speaker cable, and get a friend to replace left and right without telling you which is which. I don't believe you'll be able to pick it out.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Use the 12 for bass and 14 for highs and listen for a while.

Then switch. See which one you prefer. You'll probably wind up with 12 for the lows.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Another way to look at biwiring is that you move the point where the crossover is driven all the way to your amp/receiver. Kind of like taking that plate and sliding it all the way back to the amp end. There's a lot of variables in here...the two wires, impedences of the amp and speakers. One is hoping to improve the isolation of the signal by futzing with these impedences and then further hoping that it results in an audible benefit.
By all means experiment and don't limit yourself to just 12 and 14 gauge. Try 16, 18 and don't forget about playing with the wire lengths also. You may yet be one of the few who will have successfully nailed it just right. Perhaps the company where you bought your speakers from can assist you in good choices. After all, they put that feature in there so they must know something, no?

John Royster

Screenwriter
Hey Chu,

Have a good 4th? While were on the topic of bi-wiring. At home depot this weekend shopping for some goodies I picked up 50 ft of 12 gauge speaker wire.

I plan on having a pretty indepth bi-wiring experiment. I've got some pretty nice monster speaker wires as well as audioquests in use right now. Also have some 16 and 14 gauge speaker wire as well.

I'll be going on a bi-wire and bi-amp extraveganza! I'll post results in a new thread when they're done.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Just tried bi-wiring myself. Constructed a pair this weekend. Been running them for two days straight with a SLIGHT but noticable difference (Maybe its my mind trying to make me think it wasn't about four hours wasted). I figured it was worth a shot.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks