What's new

Onkyo TX-NR777 THX-Certified 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver (1 Viewer)

PCaban

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip Caban
I'm having trouble with wiring. I've used 2 different types of conventional speaker wire. It's seems not to be working correctly. I've never had an issue running wire before. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I've always had some sort of surround sound.

When I look up what speaker wire to use for this receiver I get what you see in the picture I've attached. I have no experience with those kinds of wires, and don't know where I'd put them on the receiver.

Are those wires that would run from the receiver to each speaker? If so it seems like I would have to spend close to $1000 to wire my speakers.

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221003-215314_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221003-215314_Chrome.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 38

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, you can use any bulk speaker wire, and you can use bare ends, but that's very difficult to connect without shorts when the posts are so close together. So, maybe you can use bare wire on the speakers, but on the receiver you're really best attaching banana plugs. Spades usually won't work since there probably isn't enough room for them.

Personally I like THESE banana plugs, which are available in several variations from a bunch of brands, like THESE.

PCaban

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip Caban
What kind of connectors are on your speakers? The receiver takes banana plugs (and presumably bare wire and spades). Best thing is to buy bulk cable and add your own terminations. In this case, I’d use banana plugs on the receiver end.

Monoprice speaker cable: https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/audio-cables/speaker-wire

Monoprice banana plugs: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9436

Depending how much wire you need, shouldn’t cost more than $150-200 total.

Attachments

• 20221003_235432.jpg
    20221003_235432.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 35

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, don't go nuts on speaker wires... and I'm saying this despite using those more expensive (but not terribly so) Canare wires just for my front LCR channels for an all-around much more expensive system.

I agree w/ the others. Just use Monoprice wires -- and you probably don't need the more expensive CL2-rated stuff since you're probably not running wires inside/behind walls/ceilings/etc, any other particular tough environment, etc. For what apparently looks/sounds like an Onkyo HT-in-a-box system, you could probably get by w/ just the very cheap 16AWG stuff if you need to keep it cheap... although no idea if they would be easy to terminate w/ the various banana plugs (at least for the AVR end as John suggested). 14AWG might be safer choice for that. Too thick (lower AWG number) might be harder to connect bare-wired to the speaker end -- and there's probably no meaningful benefit to using banana plugs (or any other termination) for those Onkyo speakers.

_Man_

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Looks like those speakers take bananas, spades, or bare wire. I agree with ManW, use 14 gauge wire. Bananas on the receiver end (easier in that tight space) and any of the three choices for the speaker side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks