What's new

Windows XP, Taking the Splurge, What will work? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's what I Have. I would apprecaite people with these devices filling me in on any problems they've had when upgrading to Windows XP. Plan on going to Best Buy later tonight, since they have the Full Home Edition for $99's.

I have, ATI All In WonderPro, 8 MB TV Tuner/Graphics Card. 3D Studio Max R2.5 Educational. Creative Labs CDRW 12X10X32. Creative Labs DVD, 12X DXR3 Decoder Card.

I beleive these are the only programs I am concerned about. I would have upgraded to XP Sooner, since I'm tired of ME crashes, but two things stopped me. One, this Big Brother Authorization, having to happen everytime I upgrade my ocmputer, and some devices not functioning...

Thanks!

KyleS

Screenwriter
Neil Make SURE you do a search on all of your hardware BEFORE upgrading. Especially for your ATI video card and the Creative labs DXR3

KyleS

Of course I would recommend a clean install vs an upgrade.

KyleS

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Before you run the installation XP should allow you, possibly force you to run a compatibility scan on your system. It will identify any potential problems that it finds and generate a report for you. I don't see anything in your list that strikes me as a big problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
That's what I 'm trying to do, but so far I'm just getting conflicting information...

For example, ATI says I will be able to capture stuff in XP, but their driver section says it dosn't. Creative says my DVD Player will work, but it offers no information on my Burner. I can't find any phone numbers or email links to get some help on them either....

Great customer support these sites have...

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I can answer for the ATI at least. I upgraded my wife's Sony VAIO to XP last week and she has an ATI all in wonder. All you need is the new driver from ATI and it will work fine. I did have to reload the ATI application to get the TV and other things to work again but now they are fine.

Get the driver and update the video card before you do XP, install XP, then rerun the install for the all-in-wonder applications and it will be fine.

Jeff

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, OK, that's good. I guess I'll have to get rid of the Win 98 Pro files that I downloaded, and upgrade to the XP ones once I find 'em.

Now all I've got to worry about is the CDRW Drive....The Official website says to look up an article in the knowledge base, but the base says it's not available...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks