What's new

windows xp bug (1 Viewer)

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
windows xp has a update that is esental if you dont wand folders deleted on your computer aginst your will
this is a link to a page that has some info
http://grc.com/default.htm
down load servis pack 1 and install
i dont know where to put this but just want to help my fellow computer users

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
The Register has some info on it as well, if you either don't want to install SP1 or don't trust Steve Gibson's word.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have mine set up to download all updates in the background automatically. I wonder if I may have already installed this. I install them as they come.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
OTHO, there have already been a number of posts over at the Dell Dimension forum that installing XP SP1 caused video and/or audio problems, some people are still trying to get their way back out of it.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
I have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP1 and (knocking on wood)have not yet experienced any problems with my audio or video.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I don't see what SP1 did. It was a pretty large upgrade for no (yet) visibile changes. Anyone else see anything? -or is it all underneath?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Dangit, it aint working for me.. It says my core file (kernel) isnt a Microsoft Windows file or something like that :frowning:
Im trying the full download to see if it makes a diff...
Anybody see any changes?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
SP1 also breaks the programs that allow unsigned XP Themes, so I'm not in a hurry to install it - I really like my violet look.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
So far, after 2 days, the only piece of software that gone belly up is a search engine program from Intelliseek (Bullseye). It fails to initialized a critical region and their support said it's a SP1 problem, no work around, but MS has been notified.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Well, in my case, Service Pack 1 repaired my System Restore utility (hooray!). At some point certain System Restore files got deleted (due to the now infamous bug, perhaps?), but now that's all taken care of.
The only major differences I've noticed so far:
- You can set "Program Access and Defaults" in the Add/Remove Programs part of the control panel. For example, you can specifically set default internet browser, default email, default media player, default instant messaging, and default virtual machine for Java. You can choose Microsoft (all Microsoft programs), Non-Microsoft (all non-Microsoft programs), or Custom (your own mix).
- Outlook Express send/receive is less cluttered - instead of having separate entries for your Hotmail account ("checking for new messages," "downloading Inbox," etc.), all actions in the account are confined to one entry.
- In IE history, passwords for password sites are hidden. Before SP1, you could go through the history and see an entry like "ftp://username:password@www.server.com/whatever/," but now it's displayed as "ftp://www.server.com/whatever/". Your password is still saved in the entry, so clicking on the history item will get you into your password-protected account, but your login and password aren't displayed.
These're a few things I've noticed so far... I'm sure further stuff will grab my eye eventually.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
In IE history, passwords for password sites are hidden. Before SP1, you could go through the history and see an entry like "ftp://username:password@www.server.com/whatever/," but now it's displayed as "ftp://www.server.com/whatever/". Your password is still saved in the entry, so clicking on the history item will get you into your password-protected account, but your login and password aren't displayed.
:eek:
Does that mean that when I technically "logged out" of an account, clicking on the link in the IE history could get into my account without having to log-in again? Whoa...dat ain't cool!!!

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
That was 100 MB?! No wonder it took a few minutes. My Real One player crashes every 5 minutes now. :frowning:

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Does that mean that when I technically "logged out" of an account, clicking on the link in the IE history could get into my account without having to log-in again? Whoa...dat ain't cool!!!
In most cases, no. It depends on how the site you're logging into is setup. I wish I had the technical knowledge to explain it, but roughly...

Sites with a login system like Hotmail or Amazon or online banking... the password won't be saved in the history item.

FTP sites, basically any site where you have to login to access the site at all (you're prompted with a popup asking for login & password, if you don't supply these access is denied)... your password can be saved in the history item.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Before installing, you should check out thisRegister Article.
Apparently, there is wording in the EULA for SP1 that has words to the effect of:
For this reason, I haven't installed SP1 on my computer.

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. There was a sound card update sitting on the windows update site that I just added manually. Mabie this will help my Real one problems I was complaining of. It also just seemed to crash for no reason at all without running media programs, or when booting up. Hope it works now. My computer has crashed a dozen times in two days.
:frowning:

Andre F

Screenwriter
Maybe I'll wait for a little while before the upgrade. Does it do anything really helpful?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks