windows xp bug

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Michael, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

windows xp has a update that is esental if you dont wand folders deleted on your computer aginst your will
    this is a link to a page that has some info
    http://grc.com/default.htm
    down load servis pack 1 and install
    i dont know where to put this but just want to help my fellow computer users

2. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads up, Bryan. I was unaware the service pack was available already.

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

The Register has some info on it as well, if you either don't want to install SP1 or don't trust Steve Gibson's word.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have mine set up to download all updates in the background automatically. I wonder if I may have already installed this. I install them as they come.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If you installed it, you'll see this:
    [​IMG]

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

...and you'd remember a 100+ MB file download. [​IMG]

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    coolness, i didnt know SP1 was out either

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

OTHO, there have already been a number of posts over at the Dell Dimension forum that installing XP SP1 caused video and/or audio problems, some people are still trying to get their way back out of it.

9. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

I have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP1 and (knocking on wood)have not yet experienced any problems with my audio or video.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I don't see what SP1 did. It was a pretty large upgrade for no (yet) visibile changes. Anyone else see anything? -or is it all underneath?

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Dangit, it aint working for me.. It says my core file (kernel) isnt a Microsoft Windows file or something like that [​IMG]
    Im trying the full download to see if it makes a diff...
    Anybody see any changes?

12. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

SP1 also breaks the programs that allow unsigned XP Themes, so I'm not in a hurry to install it - I really like my violet look.

13. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

So far, after 2 days, the only piece of software that gone belly up is a search engine program from Intelliseek (Bullseye). It fails to initialized a critical region and their support said it's a SP1 problem, no work around, but MS has been notified.

14. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Well, in my case, Service Pack 1 repaired my System Restore utility (hooray!). At some point certain System Restore files got deleted (due to the now infamous bug, perhaps?), but now that's all taken care of.
    The only major differences I've noticed so far:
    - You can set "Program Access and Defaults" in the Add/Remove Programs part of the control panel. For example, you can specifically set default internet browser, default email, default media player, default instant messaging, and default virtual machine for Java. You can choose Microsoft (all Microsoft programs), Non-Microsoft (all non-Microsoft programs), or Custom (your own mix).
    - Outlook Express send/receive is less cluttered - instead of having separate entries for your Hotmail account ("checking for new messages," "downloading Inbox," etc.), all actions in the account are confined to one entry.
    - In IE history, passwords for password sites are hidden. Before SP1, you could go through the history and see an entry like "ftp://username:password@www.server.com/whatever/," but now it's displayed as "ftp://www.server.com/whatever/". Your password is still saved in the entry, so clicking on the history item will get you into your password-protected account, but your login and password aren't displayed.
    These're a few things I've noticed so far... I'm sure further stuff will grab my eye eventually.

15. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

16. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

That was 100 MB?! No wonder it took a few minutes. My Real One player crashes every 5 minutes now. [​IMG]

17. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

18. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Before installing, you should check out thisRegister Article.
    Apparently, there is wording in the EULA for SP1 that has words to the effect of:
    For this reason, I haven't installed SP1 on my computer.

19. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm. There was a sound card update sitting on the windows update site that I just added manually. Mabie this will help my Real one problems I was complaining of. It also just seemed to crash for no reason at all without running media programs, or when booting up. Hope it works now. My computer has crashed a dozen times in two days.
    [​IMG]

20. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Maybe I'll wait for a little while before the upgrade. Does it do anything really helpful?