What's new

XP "read only" problem? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have noticed recently that I can not turn off any of my folders "read only" settings. The check box is highlighted in light blue (it goes from light blue "checked" to clear "checked" to off/unchecked when I toggle it) and when I turn it off and hit apply or OK a window pops up asking if I want to apply this to all subfolders and files, I ok it and after I check the folders properties again it is still checked "read only". This is happening with all of my folders in my PC.

After Googleing this I found that quite a few people have this same problem but solid answers were not to be had, only some suggestions that didn't work.

Anyone here know what the hell is going on with this bug?

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is perfectly normal. I am the full admin on my machine and I can not turn that off for good. However, all files within are not read only and I can control whether they are or not.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The "Read Only" box isn't actually checked. There is a colored square inside it. You can toggle it "off" and toggle it "checked" - which does make the folder and all its contents read-only, but it isn't actually in a "read only" state. This is either normal for all folders or reflects that fact that somewhere within most Windows folders (or subfolders) there lurks at least one or two "read only" files. The highlight would then merely indicate that some items within the folder are read-only. (Which might produce a warning if you try to delete the folder, or even prevent you from deleting it until you unprotect the read-only files.)

Either way, this is indeed perfectly normal and nothing will prevent you from writing files to the folders or editing files within them.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks