What's new

Windows XP accounts. (1 Viewer)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if anyone knows just how separate and secure different login accounts on Win XP are. Mine is password protected from the rest of the users on my PC but I was just curious if anyone knows HOW private my personal files and downloads are from others. It seems that the history, and temp internet files are completely separate but I don't know if there are any other potential backdoors that I may be missing. Any input would be much appreciated.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Unless you are using encryption with XP Pro (XP home doesn't have it) then your files are not protected from local users. Anyone with administrator rights will be able to view your files.

Not looking at anything you shouldn't......:b

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Yep. about the only thing the accounts are really good for is keeping your settings seperated. All files and folders are readily accessible through Windows Explorer.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse, "shouldn't" is such a relative term isn't it. Almost like "right" or "wrong". Ok, you got me, I'm trying to cover my butt in case they find something I shouldn't be looking at. I'm a very bad man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks