Windows XP accounts.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatB, Aug 23, 2002.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone knows just how separate and secure different login accounts on Win XP are. Mine is password protected from the rest of the users on my PC but I was just curious if anyone knows HOW private my personal files and downloads are from others. It seems that the history, and temp internet files are completely separate but I don't know if there are any other potential backdoors that I may be missing. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Unless you are using encryption with XP Pro (XP home doesn't have it) then your files are not protected from local users. Anyone with administrator rights will be able to view your files.

Not looking at anything you shouldn't......:b

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Yep. about the only thing the accounts are really good for is keeping your settings seperated. All files and folders are readily accessible through Windows Explorer.

4. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Jesse, "shouldn't" is such a relative term isn't it. Almost like "right" or "wrong". Ok, you got me, I'm trying to cover my butt in case they find something I shouldn't be looking at. I'm a very bad man.