Will there be a Reign of Fire review?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanChristoffel, Nov 18, 2002.

1. RyanChristoffel

Hi, I was just wondering if Ron was going to review Reign of Fire. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Jimmy Gonzalez

Jimmy Gonzalez Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking the same thing. I just stopped by to check if there was a review up before I hit the sack.[​IMG]

3. Don_Houle

Don_Houle Stunt Coordinator

Don
  4. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I picked up my copy this morning for $14.99 at Target. I loved the movie in the theaters so it was a no-brainer purchase for me.

5. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

I picked up my copy at BestBuy - who price matched it with CC for $15.99 -- then used the $5.00 gift card from Glengarry Glen Ross" so my final cost was $10.99!
    Missed it in the theater...but LOVED IT ON DVD!!!
    DTS!!! What a great popcorn flick! The only thing I didn't love was Matthew's shaved head...
    WHY WASN'T THERE A REVIEW OF THIS ONE????????
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

7. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

I was impressed overall with this flick too. I rented it with low expectations considering its far from sensational theater run, but it held my attention from start to finish (which is no easy task sometimes). The transfer, as Ron-P stated, suffered in the blacks a touch but in other scenes I was very impressed with the transfer. In a couple of scenes with Matthew McConaughey's face set against the blue sky the clarity was almost flawless.
    Good Saturday night rent [​IMG]
    and dts!

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Got this movie from netflix and watched it yesterday. Quite exciting, especially in the first half. I wasn't very impressed with the ending at all. It also seems the film was cut short of its original intent. Nearly all the scenes from the trailer were cut out of the film. This movie had the potential to be excellent but fell short from underdevelopement of the characters and dragons. The movie was too short to cover everything and it definitelly showed it. Towards the end of the film I was thinking how little of the story was actually told and the movie seemed rushed, especially through how the world became the way it was after the dragons were discovered and in the last 30 minutes or so of the film. Overall I liked the movie but was a little dissapointed because it had the potential to be so much better with the ideas and special effects they had. It did not fail to entertain me for a minute and the picture and sound quality was excellent.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

My 3 word review:

Not Enough Dragons.

10. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

11. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

13. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

A movie that is begging for a big budget prequil! [​IMG]
    Show us the war!

14. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I'd love to see the war but I didn't find it a letdown. For me, it worked very well small and intimate. I actually thought the "magic hour" explanation was great.

15. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

My beef: the amazing destruction of London sequence on the poster/billboard/etc. art is nowhere to be seen in the film. Talk about false advertising!

I liked this, but wanted to like it more.

16. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    What about the line if I remember it right: "How did they go from one to a million in less than a year?" was in every trailer and preview of the movie and was cut from the film and had nothing to do with it at all. This was the line that sort of based my expectations on the film. I expected there to be one dragon in the beginning and then have it multiply and they start taking over while the humans have to find a way to fight them off.

Not what I expected from seeing the previews at all.

17. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Yeah, when this film came out, LOTS of people were complaining about false advertising because all the ads and poster art showed SEVERAL helicopters flying over London battling LOTS of dragons. And all we get in the film is ONE helicopter. Everyone was expecting big dragon vs. military battles in the air. So much potential wasted.. [​IMG]

18. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

While it is a flawed film, I really enjoyed it in spite of myself. Personally, I grow weary of epic CGI fests where millions of faceless enemies slaughter each other. In film, I find the fate of one person I care about more compelling than that of millions I do not know. That said, the film introduced many interesting ideas that were dropped or spoiled.

The Archangel killing technique was wild and wonderful but then dropped for a stupid land-based military column heading to London. A tank column is a singularly useless weapon against airborne attack. If I'd had a rewrite, I would have made Van Zan's "Kentucky Irregulars" a wing of helicopters hopscotching across England during the "Golden Hour" when the dragons were vulnerable. The helo's could also have provided support for a small column of reconnaissance and fuel trucks to support the helos.

19. I haven't finished watching this one yet but I have to agree with a number of the comments mentioned here:

The movie simply needed more of many of the elements already present in the smaller amounts: more dragon fights, more helicopters, more character development, more backstory development, more flashbacks, you get the picture.

It almost seemed like the dragons were designed to fly extremely fast so as to exit the screen (= save money) as quickly as possible.

Watching this flick, you can almost feel the budgetary constrictions.

I only paid $14 for this one, but maybe I should have constricted my budget and passed on this one...

20. Brian Cleary

Brian Cleary Extra

If you enjoyed REIGN OF FIRE and are looking for more monster dragon movies movies in the same vein, you can check out: