What's new

Will there be a Reign of Fire review? (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I picked up my copy this morning for $14.99 at Target. I loved the movie in the theaters so it was a no-brainer purchase for me.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I picked up my copy at BestBuy - who price matched it with CC for $15.99 -- then used the $5.00 gift card from Glengarry Glen Ross" so my final cost was $10.99!
Missed it in the theater...but LOVED IT ON DVD!!!
DTS!!! What a great popcorn flick! The only thing I didn't love was Matthew's shaved head...
WHY WASN'T THERE A REVIEW OF THIS ONE????????
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Missed it in the theater...but LOVED IT ON DVD!!! DTS!!! What a great popcorn flick!
I agree:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Great dragon movie. The dragon effects are very, very well done. The dts track is solid and enveloping. Video was also good except for the black level, seemed washed out, lacking detail. For such a dark movie it was disappointing. All-n-all, a great, enjoyable dragon movie.
Peace Out~:D

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
I was impressed overall with this flick too. I rented it with low expectations considering its far from sensational theater run, but it held my attention from start to finish (which is no easy task sometimes). The transfer, as Ron-P stated, suffered in the blacks a touch but in other scenes I was very impressed with the transfer. In a couple of scenes with Matthew McConaughey's face set against the blue sky the clarity was almost flawless.
Good Saturday night rent :emoji_thumbsup:
and dts!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Got this movie from netflix and watched it yesterday. Quite exciting, especially in the first half. I wasn't very impressed with the ending at all. It also seems the film was cut short of its original intent. Nearly all the scenes from the trailer were cut out of the film. This movie had the potential to be excellent but fell short from underdevelopement of the characters and dragons. The movie was too short to cover everything and it definitelly showed it. Towards the end of the film I was thinking how little of the story was actually told and the movie seemed rushed, especially through how the world became the way it was after the dragons were discovered and in the last 30 minutes or so of the film. Overall I liked the movie but was a little dissapointed because it had the potential to be so much better with the ideas and special effects they had. It did not fail to entertain me for a minute and the picture and sound quality was excellent.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
In any case, as far as B movies go, this was as good as it gets.
Plus I was expecting a movie about how the dragons took over the world and we fought them then, not about how we try to take it back after they destroy it. That's a very different plot/expectations for a movie.

Plus more dragons would've been better too... It was Alien-like, but in a very annoying and nonsuspensful way.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Not Enough Dragons
Absolutley! If I were making this movie there would have been more dragon battles, more dragons on screen and more dragon/human carnage. There wasn't enough of dragons eating people and just straight forward action. Going in I expected a good rock 'em sock 'em dragon movie. It was entertaining, but it could have been SOOOO much better.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'd love to see the war but I didn't find it a letdown. For me, it worked very well small and intimate. I actually thought the "magic hour" explanation was great.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
My beef: the amazing destruction of London sequence on the poster/billboard/etc. art is nowhere to be seen in the film. Talk about false advertising!

I liked this, but wanted to like it more.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
What about the line if I remember it right: "How did they go from one to a million in less than a year?" was in every trailer and preview of the movie and was cut from the film and had nothing to do with it at all. This was the line that sort of based my expectations on the film. I expected there to be one dragon in the beginning and then have it multiply and they start taking over while the humans have to find a way to fight them off.

Not what I expected from seeing the previews at all.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yeah, when this film came out, LOTS of people were complaining about false advertising because all the ads and poster art showed SEVERAL helicopters flying over London battling LOTS of dragons. And all we get in the film is ONE helicopter. Everyone was expecting big dragon vs. military battles in the air. So much potential wasted.. :frowning:

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
While it is a flawed film, I really enjoyed it in spite of myself. Personally, I grow weary of epic CGI fests where millions of faceless enemies slaughter each other. In film, I find the fate of one person I care about more compelling than that of millions I do not know. That said, the film introduced many interesting ideas that were dropped or spoiled.

The Archangel killing technique was wild and wonderful but then dropped for a stupid land-based military column heading to London. A tank column is a singularly useless weapon against airborne attack. If I'd had a rewrite, I would have made Van Zan's "Kentucky Irregulars" a wing of helicopters hopscotching across England during the "Golden Hour" when the dragons were vulnerable. The helo's could also have provided support for a small column of reconnaissance and fuel trucks to support the helos.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I haven't finished watching this one yet but I have to agree with a number of the comments mentioned here:

The movie simply needed more of many of the elements already present in the smaller amounts: more dragon fights, more helicopters, more character development, more backstory development, more flashbacks, you get the picture.

It almost seemed like the dragons were designed to fly extremely fast so as to exit the screen (= save money) as quickly as possible.

Watching this flick, you can almost feel the budgetary constrictions.

I only paid $14 for this one, but maybe I should have constricted my budget and passed on this one...

If you enjoyed REIGN OF FIRE and are looking for more monster dragon movies movies in the same vein, you can check out:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks