What's new

Will SW:EP1 have orig or player gen subtitles? (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Most likely original. I believe only MGM and CTS do P-G subtitles.
Of course most of the time on WS laserdiscs and VHS the subtitles are in the bottom black bar area. With the anamorphic treatment of TPM, this will be impossible. They could do P-G subs but hopefully they'll just leave them where they were theatrically.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yes, that's my main wish that they're retained within the film frame.
Dan (UK)

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
The classic trilogy subtitles were on the bottom below the frame, on the black area of the screen... i actually prefer this, but i bet it screws it up for people with anamorphic set.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm willing to bet that with Lucas' preference to have the subtitles in the black bars (just see all the previous Laserdisc releases of the OT), and since anamorphic TV's would have trouble with them on the video master in the black bars, that they will be player generated.
They thinking that goes into not using the subtiles that were on the film print is that when played on a smaller TV size (25" or below) they might be too small and illegible.
My money's on player generated, and honestly it doesn't bug me. (Although if I had a front projector it probably would)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
That'd upset those who matte their TVs or screens in projection systems though, wouldn't it, Jeff?
Dan (UK)

Jason Elrod

Auditioning
Yes, I mask my black bar area for a pure picture experience.
I wouldn't have it any other way. So subtitles in that area is bad..bad..bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks