What's new

Will I lose quality? Please help, Im desperate :P (1 Viewer)

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, Right now I have my LG 7830 dvd and PS2 hooked up directly to my Panasonic 47" RPTV. My receiver is a Yamaha 5740 (could be wrong) that has component video in and out. I'm wondering, if I hook up my PS2 and DVD to my receiver then from my receiver to TV would I lose noticeable quality? I'm just wondering so I dont waste money on a set of component cables, thanks alot guys.

P.S. Everything connected using component ouput.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Does the TV have enough inputs? Or do you merely desire to sync up selecting a source on the rec'r to get the audio and video at a single touch? I don't know anything about the rec'r and what type of signals it can pass but extra cables certainly won't improve signal quality.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
if you like the convenience that much, try it and see if you can notice a difference.

but, generally, the "rule" is to connect directly whenever possible.

why the desperation, btw?

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, the reason I need to know is because I have a built in rack on some shelves that I want to use for my equipment, but the cords are too short to make it to the TV. I'm going to be laid off soon so I can't afford to buy high end wires for everything so I thought maybe if I hook everything up to the receiver I'll only have to buy one set of cables. I'd really rather have everything hooked up directly but instances like my PS2, I can't find longer Component cables for it. I love the way DVD's look in 1080i as well and I don't want to lose any quality in that department.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Bryan, do you just want to switch the component video devices thru the rec'r? The reason I ask is that you mention buying one set of cables. If you have composite or
S video devices going to the rec'r don't assume it will automatically get passed thru the one set of component cables going to the TV. Cables don't have to be that expensive and if you need to just get one set of cables for the good source, you can always go lesser for the others. I don't know whether your rec'r can pass 1080i either. Out of curiousity, how long are the cables you will need from a particular device to the TV or to the rec'r?

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Phil, you brought up a few things that might be an issue. I will probably need a good 10 feet of wire. Buying one set for the DVD is no problem, but the PS2, VCR... I was hoping my receiver would be able to handle all the sources to simplify things.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Bryan, one easier and perhaps more cost effective solution might be to hook everything up composite (not sure what the PS2 or the VCR has as video outputs or what the receiver has as video outputs - e.g. S, composite?) except the DVD player and let the receiver do the switching on the other sources. I'm not sure of the video switching capabilities of the rec'r and if it is not in the manual then perhaps someone here is familiar with them. You might even find some people have extra stuff laying around used that (they either bought or made that) might fit your needs to minimize costs.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The lowest Yamaha model in the HTR series that will do upconversion is the 5790. The 5740 will switch component and should have enough bandwidth to handle any current format, but you can't connect composite or S-video sources to it and have it output via component.

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, so I guess inputting them into the receiver is useless... Is there some sort of extensions I can use to extend my PS2 component wire? I'm going to buy all new wires, not much of a choice I guess :frowning:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, if you are on a budget, you do not have to buy "high end wires". You can get AR or Radio Shack wires that will meet your needs for much less. You can also visit one of the many online wire makers (such as Blue Jeans, a forum sponsor) for great bargains on interconnects that will be as good as boutique wires, just not as pretty. There are many different views on wires, but I think even the "I can see a difference" people would say that buying "lesser grade" wires is better than no wires at all if you are on a budget.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Brian you can buy another component cable and RCA female to female adapters if you wish but you might look at Jeff's suggestion. I've found with decent video cables that are not of huge lengths, there's not tons of differences. One would be hard pressed to find any on most display devices. I'm not a PS2 or game person, but I've noted you could hook it up composite with the other devices via the rec'r and just use component for the DVD players. I have no idea what the output via component of PS2 is, perhaps someone could help in that regard, but if I had to guess from my ltd. knowledge it would be 480i.

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again, I was always under the assumption that wires make a world of difference because of reviews I've read regarding high end wires. For picture quality I'll probably avoid the rec'r all together and get some female to male RCA's for the PS2 component to stretch it to work. As for the DVD, I'll be heading to RadioShack to pick up some Component cable. I appreciate your help guys. I've always thought that the output/inputs on a rec'r were just so you can switch video sources, I didn't know they processed anything...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Do a search for posts in the tweaking section by a member named Chu Gai. If you believe in science and engineering more than marketing and objective "reviews", he is an excellent analyst of wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks