What's new

Will current DVDs look better if a HD-DVD player is backwards compatible? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I was just wondering if and when they release a HD-DVD player, and is backwards compatible, will it make current discs look better? I know it probably won't be a huge improvement, but I was thinking that there might be a slight improvement.

So will there be one at all, none at all, or so slight that some will notice it and others won't?

I know I won't be replacing all my discs if the player is backwards compatible, probably just the movies I love most.

derek

Second Unit
More than likely HD-DVD players will offer only progressive scan output for digitally equipped sets that can handle the resolution/scan rate. That being said, current DVDs will be line-doubled/scaled to a higher resolution. So the answer is yes...mostly because you will be viewing on a better display device (much like people are doing now with HDTV sets/projectors etc.)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, one can hope that the HD-DVD players will upconvert the 480p signal to 720p or 1080i, and that should give a slightly better picture.

But maybe they won't.

/Mike

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I would prefer upconversion to be optional. More likely HD-DVD players, especially considering they are 10-15 years down the line will have advanced filtering to help take out things like Screen door effect and artifacting

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Why would it take them 15 years to get it into production?

I don't see it becoming as widespread as DVD is, but I would think that within 5 years there will be HD-DVD titles on the market.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's what D-VHS is for, to fill the niche until they're ready to do HD-DVD

They will not sabotage the DVD market 5 years or even 10 years into it with another format designed for the mass market

This has been discussed ad-nauseum before. Believe me or not, but you're not going to see HD-DVD before 50% of America has an HDTV, roughly about 2012-2015

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks