What's new

Will Behringer Feedback Destroyer do two subs? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m helping a fellow member here set up and equalize his two subs, which are different models, and they are not located in the same place in the room. Obviously, independent and specific equalization is called for.
I’ve looked at the BFD on-line manual, and it shows it is two channels, but I can’t tell for sure if they can be set up for totally independent operation. It looks like you can operate it as a mono EQ with 24 parametric bands, or two-channels with 12 bands—is that right?
Can any of you who have this EQ tell me?
Thanks,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,
Sorry, but the BFD is not able to do discrete channel filters within a group. All filter within a group will be applied to whichever channel the group is set for, L, R, or coupled. To do what you're asking would require two BFDs, one for each sub.
For me it works as I have both my subs in the same location so the filter settings apply to both.
Bill

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Unlike the previous posters statement, I'm using mine to individually control two subs like you asked. Yes it DOES work.

brucek

Second Unit
Hey Wayne,
Like the last two posts said. The BFD has two seperate channels that have 12 filters each (more than enough, as you know). If you have one sub, then you would use one channel with its 12 filters and save the other channel for another sub to come later..
All 12 filters for each channel can be independantly set to discrete values. The "couple" mode is simply a convenience that copies your values that you enter in one channel to the other, so you won't have to enter them twice if you want both channels to have the same values. This would be the case where you had two matched subs. You would likely want the same values in both the left and right channels.
I have two quite different subs and so run my two channels uncoupled and then have to enter values for both channels independantly because they are different values. :)
brucek

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
I tried setting separate left and right channels values for individual filters, but it seemed that whatever I set the last channel at is what it was stuck on. In other words, when I set filter 1 for the left channel for, say a 37Hz cut, then set filter 2 for the right channel at a 60Hz cut, when I go back to filter 1 the channel indicator is now set for the R channel. I though that it was odd that what Wayne was asking for couldn't be done. I stand corrected and will now proceed to goof around with it some more to see what I did wrong.
Bill
PS: OK, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I neglected to turn off the filter for the unwanted channel...duh! Like I said, I use mine in coupled mode so when I tried it last night I didn't think it through, but then again, the BFD has given me enough headaches as far as setting filters that I tend to just want to set it and forget it (my apologies to Ron Popiel).
[Edited last by Bill Harada on November 04, 2001 at 11:17 AM]

BruceD

Screenwriter
Bill,
If you have a PC with a game port and Win95 or Win98 have you tried the MIDI cable connection from PC to BFD for setting up the filters? There are cheap cables available for about $19 from most computer places (COMPUSA as an example).
If not, you should give it a try, it may make it easier for you to navigate the BFD functions.
Here is a link to the BFD pgm.
BFD MIDI pgm
BruceD

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,
It wasn't a problem with setting the filters per se. What I had problems with is getting a filter group to actally apply the filters I was setting. Maybe my BFD is semi-defective, but I would set group one to have a cut filter at 32Hz, with a bandwidth of 20Hz (22Hz-42Hz) as filter 1. Then I would add a filter to cut between 55-65Hz as filer 2. Then if I tried to add a narrow cut filter (filter 3), say at 60Hz it would not take. I can't tell you how much time I spent trying to figure out why I couldn't tame a specific peak.
In the end I decided to try other groups, then finally reversing the order that I set my filters (i.e., highest freqs to lowest). I finally got group 5 to actually apply what I was entering. Talk about a lot of wasted time clearing out the settings for all the groups so that I could start from scratch while experimenting. Anyway, once I was able to actually see the minute setting changes actully affect the dB levels it made that calibration process go a whole lot faster.
As for the MIDI interface, the laptop I used to have had a BIOS that wasn't compatible with Win2000 as none of the ports (COM, USB, etc...) were working. I got a new one that does seem to have functioning ports so I may give it a shot...have to go get as MIDI control cable first, though (unless I have an ancient one stuffed in a box somewhere).
[Edited last by Bill Harada on November 04, 2001 at 11:50 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks