1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

An SVS Ultra, an Infinite Baffle, and a Few Behringer EQ Questions.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris Ramirez, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Chris Ramirez

Hi, I have a 13X15 room with a CS Ultra and I am attempting to replace it with an Infinite Baffle with two Dayton 15 inch IB drivers. The Infinite Baffle sounds fantastic and I will definately sell my Ultra asap (to get money i need) but my ears hurt from it so i definitely know i need EQ. The only reason why i still have the Ultra is that i cant figure out EQing a sub. I have a digital camera and Ill try to see if i can get any pictures up, (i have a crappy computer) My biggest problem as i said is EQ,, I bought a Behringer feedback destroyer recently and also a radioshack analogue sound level meter. I have also burned test tones from 100hz to 10hz and also have another CD of some sweeps. I have also printed a copy of that excellent Faq on how to use the BFD but still am not sure how to go about setting it up. Im still not sure how measuring frequency levels can translate to a graph(I have a general idea at least.) I was able to calibrate my mains and surrounds (I have 5 C-3s and one placed in an ingenious way upside down on my tv ;-) with C level and set to slow at 70 Dbs with my Sound and vision disk and boy did that help, I wish i did that sooner. What i did with that was I used the test tones and matched each channel's volume so that the needle was on the "0" (which would be 70dbs right?) Doing that with a subwoofer seems somehow different, but am i on the right track? any help would be appreciated, I would tend not to want to use any graphs or anything, but if that will help then i guess i need explanation on how to apply them to measurements., I really just want to cut the peaks, (I dont know about any valleys.) Thanks for any suggestions. -Chris-

2. Chris Ramirez

I have read about attatching a microphone to a computer and running a sweep and it will graph out a response on a computer, would that be useful? and what sort of "in" port would I need for a soundcard? Thanks,-Chris-

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

4. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Use the site ThomasW suggested and there is an excel program on there where you just put in the numbers and it graphs it for you, makes it alot easier.

5. Chris Ramirez

I have downloaded the faq, and have printed it, it is very good but I still am confused on some things. What numbers am i supposed to put into that excel graph? I dont understand how i can do that with the radioshack meter, I mean i calibrated my speakers at C weighting and set to slow (the zero would represent "70 Db" right? calibrating a subwoofer seems different. How can i tell peeks by so little info? or maybe im not thijnking of this correctly, I really want to solve this, maybe a Behringer expert over here can explain it? Thanks, -Chris-