What's new

Will any dvd player with dts/dd be compatable with 6.1 es? (1 Viewer)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
If I by a new DTS es 6.1 , will my current dts/dd dvd player be ok?
------------------
RCA 36 INCH TV
DENON avr-2800
Panasonic DVD-rv80
Fronts:PSB Century 1000i
Center:PSB century 200i
Rear:PSB Alpha Into LR
MTX power sub
cable/speaker wire:Kimber Kable & Illuminations V-21
YAHOO messenger: billsfan71
God Bless America

DonnyD

Screenwriter
yes... I have an older dvd player and es is auto selected through my new receiver. No problems.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

YANG

Screenwriter
DTSES or DDEX depends highly on the software side,not your player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should have no problem sending the signal. If your receiver does not have DTS ES capability, it will most likely automatically downmix and play it in 5.1
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Han

Second Unit
What I've been wondering and has briefly been talked about over at AVScience is the 5.1 outputs.
No, you don't need a player to be "EX or ES compatible" since it's on the software side and is decoded in the preamp/receiver. But, say you're using a DVD-Audio player. Right now, you have to use the 5.1 analog audio outputs of the DVD-Audio player to get the full effect of DVD-Audio. If you do that and also use that player as a DVD-Video player, you will not get EX or ES or 6.1 or whatever. You'd need to hook up a SPDIF connector as well to your receiver, but then be dependent on the conveniences or lack thereof of the player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For DVD-A to work, you can ONLY use the 5.1 analog out of the player. You will not get DVD-A singal via a digital connection, unles you are playing a PCM track or non-DVD-a material. Most players I've seen also have digital out to pass the bitsream for other material (normal CDs, DVDs, etc...), so it should not be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks