What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Wii console price drop to $199.99 starting 9/27/09 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I bought LostWinds and it's running in 4x3. Reviews state that it can be displayed in 16x9. My Wii is set to widescreen. Do I have to have a component cable for widescreen mode to work? Obviously, I want component, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. If it's the only way to get widescreen, I'll get it later today.

Also, I just encountered a website that said that GC games are a blank screen if you run in progressive scan. He said you can cure it on some games by pressing B when the game starts to enable their progressive scan support. True? If so, I'll have to remember to change the settings to interlaced before launching non-progressive games, which seems like a nuisance.

Finally, is there any advantage to buying the Nintendo-branded cables? Theirs are about $10 more than the generics. I figure a component cable is a component cable, more or less, but you know you're getting quality with Nintendo.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So I got the component cable and it was still 4x3 even with Widescreen TV and 480P enabled. So, I looked around and Nintendo says your set has to be no widescreen as well. My Sony CRT is wide automatically, though it does have some 4x3 settings. I tried setting it to Full and it seems to have worked. A zero looked ovoid when on Normal and it looks like a zero on Full. It seems like a half-assed way to do things, but I guess that's how it has to be.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Did you set the Wii to widescreen mode?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice you had two consecutive posts. Disregard.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hey, no harm I'm glad you were trying to help. I think setting it to Full is fine. I noticed that my HDMI input grays out Normal, which is the setting that was rendering in 4x3, So, if I've been watching HD for years in Full, setting the component input to Full for Wii should be no different. Plus, there is no loss of information on the Wii main screen, and the circles at the bottom left and right are circles--not ovals!

I do have to manually switch it for older games. I was playing Super Mario 64 VC, and it was stretched and Mario was shorter and fatter! Truth be told, the game didn't actually look too bad that way. That's HTF heresy, however,

Also, I tried out a non-progressive GC game and it showed up like normal. That article was either out of date or wrong.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is there a problem with leaving Wiiconnect24 on? I've read a few horror stories (most seem to be from 2007) about having your Wii in standby mode via Wiiconnect24 and having it overheat. Mine's been "off" for about seven hours, and the left/top side is warm, but not to where you can't rest your hand on it. I'm wondering if any of you have maybe had the system for a good while, leave Wiiconnect24 on, can feel it is warm hours later, but it has caused no problems whatsoever. Or, should I just turn it off. There's nothing I *need* it to be updating during the night, but I don't want to lose functionality if it's just a handful of weirdos.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is your system a little warm when not in use? Mine was, but it seemed pretty mild. I think I'll risk it so news and weather isn't busted.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, I guess it is. It's in a relatively well ventilated area so it's not much of an issue. The stand for my TV has 3 shelves that are open all around the sides and probably has about 10" between shelves, so I get enough air through it to not overheat.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Remember when I said I bought some games before I bought the Wii, for fear they'd go out of print? Well, I guessed wrong in every case. Even the original Trauma Center can be found. It worked out, because I had a ton of games to choose from when I got the system. But, the game I kept passing on? Metroid Prime Trilogy? Out of print. I figured, hey, summer of 2009 release, no rush. I had it in my hands two weeks ago at Fry's for $39, but passed. Nintendo announced earlier this month that they were done with it, and I guess someone got the message, because they cleared Fry's out. Fortunately, I found it at Wall Store today, but I had to pay an extra ten bucks. Bottom line: if you've been wanting it, get it if you can find it. The best guess is that Nintendo's going to put the first two out as New Play Control titles. Even at reduced prices, three individual titles will run you more than a three-in-one.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Apparently they planned on it being a limited run product to begin with. I doubt they'll reprint MP1 and 2 with New Play Control, they seem to be going kinda slow on those as it is.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Whew! I was waiting since I had enough games to play, but happened to be in FYE a few weeks ago and they were blowing out almost all their video games for half price. There wasn't much left, but I got MP Trilogy for $25 (actually $5 since I had the $20 gift card they sent me for trying out their frequent buyer program).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks