What's new

Widescreen set or Academy Set? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Here's an interesting question for everyone: should one get a 16x9 set or a 4x3 set with a 16x9 enhanced mode a la Sony Wega? I think of it this way: we've lived with our academy TV's for years with widescreen programming and it is just fine. With the addition of a 16x9 mode for enhanced resolution on DVD and HDTV, how can one go wrong? The only thing that bugs me on a widescreen set is that when watching 4x3 material you can crop it (I don't care what anyone says, this looks nasty) or have dreaded 'side-bars'. What I'm getting at though is that the academy shape screen is ultimately more universal when it has the addition of a 16x9 mode. What do you all think?

AJ Garman

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Interesting question.

I have also been looking at the Sony Wega XBR.(beautiful picture) You're right VERY universal.

But I believe the future is headed for 16:9 HD.

I cherish my movies so much I am thinking of saving up for the HD 16:9 Toshiba. And I don't care about the side bars for 4:3. My movies take first priority.

I think I'm going to hold out for the 16:9.

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
given the money, I'd go for wide-screen.

I generally don't look for absolute flawless picture quality when watching tv shows or the news. it's all about the movies. and just to mention, quite a few tv stations are 16x9 compatible now, and many other stations are gearing towards 16x9 in the near future.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm in the same boat as the poster. I was leaning torwards a 16x9 47' Panny, but I have two kids, the TV is turned on most of the day and it's with cable or satelite with 4x3 cartoons/programing. In a week my screen would be shot with the "burn in" effect. I'm looking into the new toshiba HDTV 4x3 that uses the 16x9 squeeze for my progresive scan DVD player.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
For the best of both worlds, I'd look for an academy ratio display that also does anamorphic squeeze. That will get you the same resolution as the widescreen set. Then add some detachable screen masks and you basically have both an academy AND a widescreen display. Why choose, when you can have both?

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I think you answered your own question. If cropping or stretching the picture looks "nasty," and you hate the "dreaded side bars," why are you even considering a 16:9 TV?

SMK

Randy G

Second Unit
Ahhh, yessss....the old chicken & egg dilemma. YOU won't start buying 16:9 sets until the networks start putting material in that format, and the networks ain't rEaLly gonna start doing THAT until they know that more folks own 16:9 sets. Which means that the transition to 16:9 is gonna take forever if at all. We really should do ourselves a favor by writing to the networks and the FCC and telling them that the reason we're not purchasing 16:9 is because the networks aren't switching over fast enough. Yeah, now I'm gonna hear from all the folks who HAVE purchased 16:9 telling me that they've done THEIR parts and are enjoying the hell out of their movies, but the reality is that YOU guys are a pittance in numbers and have had zero influence on the networks. People need to get MAD and let their representatives know it. As you may have surmised, I've done MY part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks