What's new

Why Tuesday? (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
Maybe because people are too busy going to movies on the weekend to buy new DVDs.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Actually I think it is because the DVDs are often shipped on a Monday and again on Wednesday like videogames often are, I'm not quite sure but I think that might be the reason.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Tuesday is usually the slowest day of the week for retailers, so releasing product on Tuesday gets more people in the store. Probably flawed logic as people are going to go buy what they want to buy, regardless of the day it is released.

That said, I never miss a Tuesday at BB or CC.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
While we're on reasons for release dates:

why do movies primarily aimed at African Americans so often open on Wednesdays? There are other films that open on Wednesdays but those do so usually on holiday weekends.

I have wondered about this for a long time but nobody has been able to answer this question for me yet.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
While we're on reasons for release dates:

why do movies primarily aimed at African Americans so often open on Wednesdays?
Because many African Americans whom these films are aimed at work on weekends, and have their days off in the middle of the week.

Tom Czr

Agent
That whole work on weekend thing is absolutly insane. DVDs are relesaed on Tuesdays in order to drum up business during the week. People usually buy and watch on Sat.-Sun.

so releases are on Tuesday in order to get the diehards to buy early and J6P will buy later...giving it strong first week sales

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
The answer regarding release dates for movies aimed at African Americans stems back to the release of "Boyz in the Hood". When the movie was released, Many rival gangs were showing up at the theaters at the same times to watch the movie, this led to fights and shootings at the movie theaters.

Distributors began opening the movie on Wednesdays for two reasons:

1. Hopefully the gangs would not show up at the same time.

2. If they did, there would be less innocent bystanders that would get hurt.

This was actually explained to me when I used to work at at theater. While I find this rationale incredibly racist and patronizing, the practice still continues today.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I feel as if I've fallen into another dimension.

New movies always came out on Wednesdays in the '60's, and that's all of them. I think the Friday release has something to do with the movie 'bombing out'. They could run it for only 4 days, but maybe they've turned that whole thing around.

The Tuesday release day does help boost up sales, but it also gives the relailers equal time to get their new releases in the mail. You could weigh ups and downs for almost any day of the week.

Glenn

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
In an old post about this topic, it was stated that Tuesday had been the release date for CD's, and before that for LP's, dating back decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks