What's new

Why is 480i better than 480p? (1 Viewer)

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get it. The images from my dvd player actually look clearer in 480i than in 480p on my tv. 480p makes them slightly blurry. My tv is a Samsung HCN5527W capable of showing 480i, 480p, and 1080i. My dvd player is a Toshiba SD-4900. I'm using a Monster component cable. There are no switches on the tv to pick the input, as far as i can tell, the tv automatically detects what type of signal is coming from the DVD player. Anyone have any clues?

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Your set very likely has a decent de-interlacer, or at least a de-interlacer that is better than the one in your DVD player. Anybody who actually knows what they are talking about willing to chime in?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It depends a lot on the actual DVD player and the processing power of the TV. A good progressive scan DVD player's 480P output should be better than that from a good 480i player.

Regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
So far I have been extremely please with my new HDTV's Progressive scan off of my cheapie DVD's 480i component output. So much so, I don't know if I am going to go buy a new DVD player or not.

Basically your in the same boat sort of. Your TV has better Progressive scan and Pulldown than your current bargain DVD player. (Of course my DVD player has none)

Should make you feel good really about the quality of the your Samsung.

ColinR

Auditioning
I have noticed a considerable difference when I connected my Progressive scan DVD up to my set (DLP 43w). It sounds like there may be a conflict b/t your TV and your player

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm, so what the heck do i do? my toshiba sd4900 dvd player isn't exactly a low end player, i think. do i leave the dvd player at 480i or p? my tv has progressive scan built in? i have no idea how this stuff works!

greg_t

Screenwriter
Your TV has a built in deinterlacer, which converts interlaced to progressive. It doesn't dispaly 480i, but it will accept it and the TV's deinterlacer will convert it to 480p or 1080i if you so choose. So if you output a 480i image from the dvd player, the TV's deinterlacer will convert it to 480p. Basically it sounds like your TV has the better deinterlacer than the dvd player. I would make sure that you have calibrated your set and just double check all the connections and such. If everything checks out, just use interlaced from the dvd player and let the TV do the work.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
2 more things i noticed:

1. When running the THX optimizer feature found on some DVDs, i noticed that the small letters on the bottom during the test, something to the effect of Lucas copyright reserves, is clear when i have my DVD player set to 480i and almost unreadable in 480p. but, when i play a movie in 480i there's a vertical bar down the whole screen quite noticeable during dark scenes! isn't there some way to turn off the TVs interlacing or whatever and just use my DVD players 480p?

greg_t

Screenwriter
I don't know a whole lot about Samsungs, but from the informtion you provided in your first post, it's line doubler does 480p and not 540p. Assuming this is correct, if you use progressive out on your dvd player, the TV's line doubler should be bypassed altogether as the signal is already 480p. There is no way to disable the line doubler. I would suggest re-calibrating your set, and don't use the THX optimizers as they are made for each individual movies and the patterns have been shown to be wrong in many cases. Use something like Avia or video essentials. You might also want to try a different progressive dvd player on it to ensure that it isn't your player causing these issues.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
well, i had a tech come look at my set and he did a few adjustments...WOW! my pis is FANTASTIC now. that is, mthe pic from my DVD player set at 480i, not 480p. the 480p picture is still a little blurru compared to the 480i signal. i guess the tv really does have a better progressive scan mode than the DVD player. i wonder if there is some way to set my tv to upconvert the signal to 1080i.

Jason Brent

Second Unit
I've also discovered a problem with my DVD player and 480p

I have the Tosh 4800 and in 480p mode the black levels aren't as good. I have to turn down the brightness. Then cable looks dark. Also, the auto setting for the progressive output doesn't do as well as manually selecting 'video' or 'film' So it's very annoying and not WAF user friendly to have to switch between video for the kids DVD's and film for everything else.

I'm about ready to just leave it on 480i....

Display is the panny 47wx53. (which I'm having problems with too)

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Does your Toshiba have the BLE(Black Level Expansion) option? If it does, try turning it on. It drops the IRE to 0.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I asked the same question Tom did March 13th, 2002.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=525409&t=5332#post525409[/url]

Check it out, may give you some more ideas. I also have a Samsung.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks