What's new

why I hate north dakota (1 Viewer)

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Philip Yes, today was a crappy day. Didn't get it as bad as you did. Typical for the department of public works to respond slowly the first time. Now that weather has officially changed, I'm sure they'll bring out the removal gear. I did see numerous sand trucks here in Bismarck, more freezing rain and sleet. It's only bound to get worse so no sense crying about it now or I'll have to send for the Wha-ambulance!
laugh.gif

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I grew up in Regina, about 6 hours North of Minot. The day I left (Jan 7 1989) I swore I would never go back during the winter. It was minus 45 F and with wind chill was minus 120. The coldest I can ever remember!
Thank god and the Republicans for NAFTA!!!
Gregg
------------------
Link Removed
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hahah well I'm outta here in less than a year I hope anyway.
yeah a couple weeks of -30 ambient is a downer :)

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Well we didn't get as much snow up here as you got in Grand Forks, I am only 2 hours north of you, but today was definitely a bad sign of things to come. Funny, in December and January when it actually gets cold, days like today we look forward to.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think north central MN got hit even harder. On I29 between grand forks and thompson (SEVEN miles) there are 400 cars off the road I hear.
they're saying it's going to be a nasty nasty winter
frown.gif

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Aye Carumba! Well the first slippery day is always interesting. Coming in to work today, a Ford half-ton decided the best parking spot was through the intersection and in the ditch. Stopped about 1/2" from a hyrdopole in front, and missed a big culvert on the passenger side by the same 1/2". It is about a 20degree ditch slope too, 6 ft down. I think he probably had to change his shorts before he started working.
crazy.gif

------------------
My DVD Collection

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I know what you're talking about. I've lived more than half of my life (I'm 19) in Thief River Falls, MN. I'm not sure if you know where that is, but it's about 55 miles mostly east and a little north of Grand Forks, and I attended the famous U. of North Dakota last year.
To all, the average December temp in Grand Forks last year was below 0* F.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
tvf got HAMMERED today (I fly into the tvf airport quite a bit, I know exactly where it's at
wink.gif
)
here's some shitty pics from GFK today
snow1.jpg

snow2.jpg

snow3.jpg

snow4.jpg

snow5.jpg

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Well it continued snowing here overnight, and has been blowing steadily. I think we now just have a little less snow then you have. Damn, this is gonna be long winter. :)
------------------
My DVD Collection

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Hmmmm. I heard some scientists talking about something they call "global warming." Looks like that's finally over.
wink.gif

By the way, I love the snow. It gives me a good reason for staying indoors and being lazy. And if I don't have to drive anywhere then I don't mind going out in it (for too long). Unfortunately/fortunately I live in California now and don't have to deal with it anymore. However, we do want to move back some day (used to live in Utah, mild winters compared to ND).
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 25, 2001 at 10:29 AM]

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Well it continued snowing here overnight, and has been blowing steadily. I think we now just have a little less snow then you have. Damn, this is gonna be long winter
they're calling for 50F by sunday, it's already 32 out there, but cloudy, so it's melting slowly..

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
We are supposed to 11C on Sunday too, around 50F, but that is quite a few days away, the forecast will probably change by then. The snowmobilers from work had lots of fun last night. Good news for deer hunting up here, as long as it stays long enough. Last year we had snow right before Halloween and it stayed till April, so ...
------------------
My DVD Collection

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I have lived in northern Minnesota my whole life and I love it when it's cold. :) I hate the summertime heat because I sweat like a hog in it. My motto is you can always put more cloths on,but you can only take so many off. As for shoveling snow, well I don't, I have a 4X4 pickup and it works wonders. But I feel for Philip, it is a little too early for this shit.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hey Ash, at least it's a dry cold
wink.gif

dude it's a fucking NIGHTMARE out on the streets, the snow's all wet and heavy, and piled higher than my car in the places they actually plowed..
but I agree, I hate summer here more. I LOVE fall. I like cold weather, but not freeze your nuts off it hurts to breathe -30 cold weather.
since I lived in MT for 18 years, OR for 3 and ND for 2, I'd have to say OR is the ideal climate, 70's and 80's in the summer and low humidity, and 30's 40's in the winter with a bit of rain (it's not nearly as bad as they like to claim it is)
[Edited last by Philip_G on October 25, 2001 at 02:05 PM]

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
heh heh heh...every once in a while I feel sorry for myself for the winters I have to go through down here in Minneapolis, then I remember there are a bunch of cities north of me, such as Grand Forks and Duluth :)
Oh yeah can't forget the coldest city in MN, Embarass. If I remember correctly they often have the coldest overnight low in the 48 states during the winter.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hey I was just at the mall of america and the tori amos concert at the orpheum this weekend :)
I like the cities a lot.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
(looking at the green grass and full tree foliage outside the office while I sit in my short sleeve shirt with no jacket in sight) :)
biggrin.gif
:)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
same here. the piles of snow are INCREDIBLE though, the main streets in town are down to 2 lanes from 4 and the piles of snow are nearly 6 feet high on each side
ok maybe not 6 feet
biggrin.gif
but higher than my car.
[Edited last by Philip_G on October 26, 2001 at 09:17 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks