What's new

Why "older" series on DVD wish list? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:
Do you ever wonder why you want these older, almost forgotten tv shows so much? Were the programs really that much better than what's going on today?
I find myself thinking just how powerful is nostalgia?
Back when I was young, before VCR's, and dinosaurs walked freely amongst the plains of North Dakota, I was a tv afficiando. Part of it was because I was sickly, but I freely admit I loved television.
Williston only had two channels (NBC and CBS), but later on they would replay the ABC programs at odd times during the week and weekends.
I hated it when the family had to go on trips (you missed Saturday AM cartoons) and I would rather watch the animated Star Trek and Land of the Lost than anything else.
Television was so magical than.
I'm not so sure today.
Today's television has become so dark, so willing to go over the precipice, that I find I can't stand the characters or the programs. On the other hand, I have to admit the writing is faster paced, the theme song (like the new Hawaii Five-O) is jazzier, more energetic, etc. Since Babylone 5, more and more series have introduced season long story arts, which keep the various series exciting.
I have to give credit to them.
But still, I find myself why I look so forward to older programs coming out on DVD. And one very important reason is . . . . . . . . missed or lost episodes.
What are some of the reasons you want your "Holy Grails?"
James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
You're right on the Nostalgia part. I LOVE recreating my Childhood Years. TV Shows were so much better then IMO. I too used to be dismayed when I was told to get in the car to go somewhere, when I'd rather watch a favorite TV Show (How was I to know I'd be able to purchase the series or Movie to watch at my own convenience!) :D. TV was so much different then. For three or four hours each night, you could leave reality behind and immerse yourself in a world of make-believe. You could rest assured your show wouldn't include some kind of sermon on social issue, and even the commercials were fun to watch. It's a whole lot different today. I'm thankful those old shows are now available on DVD, I'd probably go stir crazy if all I had to watch was what was being offered by the networks. Sill I can't help but wonder, 40-50 or more years from now, when I have long departed this world, will someone who is young today look back and say, "Remember the good old days, when all those "Reality" Shows dominated the TV Landscape?' and a friend will commiserate "Yeah, now it's nothing but.........": :laugh:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I did a tally of the 625 series I own on DVD and I came up with these percentages:
1940s - .5%
1950s - 18%
1960s - 35%
1970s - 16%
1980s - 12 %
1990s - 10%
2000s - 8 %
2010s - .5%

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I want them because I like them. I like shows today too like Doctor Who and Community but I like some old shows too like classic Doctor Who and Green Acres.I don' think the good and great and even the ok from the past should be discarded. We have tons of classic books, music, film and art. TV is a medium that stands well beside them. I do not give up on something I love simply because it is old, it is timeless if it is good.
Still wanting Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, and more Fall Guy and Green Acres among others.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Another reason:
Maybe I'm also backtracking to see if some of the tv shows and tv movies were as good as I remember them to be. NBC's Special Treat series, Papa and Me, The Enormouse Egg For the Love of Fred, the Miss Pickerell tv-movies (which haven't been seen in decades), are the worth showing to another generation?
Something else. The programs back than seemed to have a bit more innocense and not so jaded today. Kids weren't so all-knowing as opposed to what we see on recent programs like Hannah Montana and the Suite Life on Deck. Those two make the Brady Bunch look like Shakespeare in comparison. Really.
One thing that having tv on DVD is great on, and it helps on getting those "tricky" episodes you kept missing on reruns. I remember in the pre-VCR era, there were several episodes I missed due to various reasons, so I kept track of when those titles might show up on the schedule. Again, this was before we had the internet to help us plan our watching. And now matter how hard I tried, I kept missing those episodes I hadn't seen before. Ahh. Kids have it easy today.
James.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I mainly collect the shows I liked when I was in elementary school and junior high. By the time I was in High School, 90% of what I watched was sports so my recollections of series are few from around 1972 onward. Not to say that there weren't some shows I enjoyed but the majority would have been in the 10 years prior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks