What's new

why does Jurassic Park DTS have a DD 2.0 track?? (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i was just wondering why they would bother taking up additional disc space with a DD 2.0 track on a DTS dvd?

this DTS disc was only $9 new at best buy, but i have to say so far i would say it's not worth much more than that because the video quality is seriously lacking. plus, it's the first dvd with a dts track i've tested on my upstairs system that has some serious distortion in the heavy bass sections. anyone else have that problem? maybe my in-ceiling sonance subs can't handle this particular track.... although i've fed them some serious bass before with no problems.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Yes, do a search for Jurassic Park DTS dvd's and you'll come across umpteen gazillion threads dealing with reurning your DVD for one with a re-encoded DTS track.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
garrett - i knew there were some issues with the first run but didn't think copies in stores 4 years later would have the same issues. guess i will do a search for one of the zillion threads you mentioned and try to figure ut what you are talking about.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
The problem with the DTS Jurassic Park on DVD when it was first issued was that the LFE channel was significantly lower than the same DTS track that was on the much vaulted laserdisc.

There was such an uproar about it that Universal relented and re-made the DVD using the original DTS soundtrack used on the laserdisc, which supposedly used the actual theatrical DTS source. It wasn't re-done for "home theater" use as so many soundtracks are these days.

But you had to mail your DVD back to one of several DVD distribution sites saying your's was "defective" and they would send you the "corrected" version.

By now, all in-store stock should have the corrected full LFE track. If you're getting distortion, then my guess is that your subs just can't handle it - or there may be some resonating going on in your ceiling framing (I hope your drywall is screwed in and not nailed).

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
DVDs have to have a DD or a PCM track. An example where there is no DD track is The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over.

Joe

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
yeah i definitely have the corrected disc...i'll try the LFE out in my main theater setup and see what happens. i doubt i'll hear the distortion there, i bet it was either something ratting in the ceiling where the subs are fastened, or the sub amps were turned up a little high. there are two sub amps for 2 sonance in-ceiling subs, and this is the first time i've had the bring the "level" down....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks