Why do 3rd part controllers resemble the originals?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Why do almost all 3rd party controllers try to emulate the original first party controller? If a consumer doesn't like the first party design, wouldn't it make more sense to have a different design? For example, why doesn't anyone make an Xbox controller that feels like a Sony Dual Shock? Or a PS2 controller that feels like a Gamecube controller?
    It just seems really odd to me. If I was at MadCatz, I'd be pumping out Dual Shock clones for every console under the sun! [​IMG]
    -Dave

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Because nowadays the 3rd party hardware is licensed from the companies. Especially with launches it's hard for the manufacturer to meet controller demands, especially because most new consoles have 4 ports.

So they just replicate the design given to them to start with, then they'll come out with the funkier ones

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I've wondered this myself quite a number of times. I'm surprised that they don't try to change things up at least a litte bit in terms of design.

It may be licensing, but some of these guys make adapters to use other other system pads on different systems, and you wouldn't think that would be allowed if they couldn't modify the design.

I also wonder why they always go the cheap route. There is nothing stopping them from designing a value pad that's less than the stock pad, and a premium one that's a bit more but better.

4. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I assume it is that the 3rd party controller is a cheaper alternative to the first party offering. Aren't the MadCatz and Pelicans of the world $5 cheaper than their first party counterparts?

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's not that they CAN'T modify it. They just want to get some pads to market for the initial rush is all

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

7. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I think it's a combination of what Jeff and I were saying.

The main draw of 3rd party controllers is to offer a cheaper alternative to the stock controllers. At the same time, the initial manufacturing runs will be stock controller clones in order to jump into the market ASAP.

You will begin to see more specialized controllers coming out (fighting controller for the GCN will be a must for beat 'em up fans).

The thing is, I've yet to see a 3rd party controller offering that has any sort of quality. I think the fact that they reverse engineer and don't R&D from the ground up contributes to lousy products. The fact that they skimp on materials doesn't help. As a rule, 3rd party controller just plain feel cheap compared to the first party options.

8. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

I like the Mad Catz steering wheel for racing games - but yeah, I know what you are talking about with the regular controllers.