What's new

Why do 3rd part controllers resemble the originals? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Why do almost all 3rd party controllers try to emulate the original first party controller? If a consumer doesn't like the first party design, wouldn't it make more sense to have a different design? For example, why doesn't anyone make an Xbox controller that feels like a Sony Dual Shock? Or a PS2 controller that feels like a Gamecube controller?
It just seems really odd to me. If I was at MadCatz, I'd be pumping out Dual Shock clones for every console under the sun! :)
-Dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because nowadays the 3rd party hardware is licensed from the companies. Especially with launches it's hard for the manufacturer to meet controller demands, especially because most new consoles have 4 ports.

So they just replicate the design given to them to start with, then they'll come out with the funkier ones

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I've wondered this myself quite a number of times. I'm surprised that they don't try to change things up at least a litte bit in terms of design.

It may be licensing, but some of these guys make adapters to use other other system pads on different systems, and you wouldn't think that would be allowed if they couldn't modify the design.

I also wonder why they always go the cheap route. There is nothing stopping them from designing a value pad that's less than the stock pad, and a premium one that's a bit more but better.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I assume it is that the 3rd party controller is a cheaper alternative to the first party offering. Aren't the MadCatz and Pelicans of the world $5 cheaper than their first party counterparts?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's not that they CAN'T modify it. They just want to get some pads to market for the initial rush is all

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I assume it is that the 3rd party controller is a cheaper alternative to the first party offering.

That's fine, and there's no reason they can't do that. Unfortunatly, you get what you pay for, and many people will pay more for the stock pad because it's usually better. If that's the case, then there are probably people that would pay $5-$10 more than the stock pad if it were better.

If you look at the PC market, there is a huge variety of gamepads and joysticks, all of varying design, quality and price (Just MS alone has about 6 variations of the Sidewinder pads). People certainly pick the $50 pad over the $20 one in many cases if they think it's better.

Look at all the people talking about going to the trouble and expense of importing a Japanese XBox pad. There is a market for a better moustrap, but it takes a solid all round design and features more worthwile than turbo buttons and move programing "cheating".

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think it's a combination of what Jeff and I were saying.

The main draw of 3rd party controllers is to offer a cheaper alternative to the stock controllers. At the same time, the initial manufacturing runs will be stock controller clones in order to jump into the market ASAP.

You will begin to see more specialized controllers coming out (fighting controller for the GCN will be a must for beat 'em up fans).

The thing is, I've yet to see a 3rd party controller offering that has any sort of quality. I think the fact that they reverse engineer and don't R&D from the ground up contributes to lousy products. The fact that they skimp on materials doesn't help. As a rule, 3rd party controller just plain feel cheap compared to the first party options.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I like the Mad Catz steering wheel for racing games - but yeah, I know what you are talking about with the regular controllers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks