What's new

Why can't people spell? (1 Viewer)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to add a side note that just because someone may not be gifted in spelling doesn't mean they are lazy or rush through post, it doesn't even mean they are uneducated.
I have a friend who is brilliant, oft times when chatting with him I notice his poor spelling skills and it's never bothered me. When someone is genious at one thing in life he/she may be very poor in other areas.
Some people are brilliant at math and chemistry yet they may lack in proper spelling and sometimes you can just chalk up poor grammar skills to a learning disability.
I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes in this post, but there is nothing I hate more than people that correct other's mistakes when there is really no need for it. I had a buddy that no matter what you do he would always have to point out your short comings and tell you how to do it right or how he does it etc. BLAH no one likes to be around people like this. If the criticism is constructive and will help someone get a new job or a promotion then by all means say something to the person to help them out. On the other hand....if you don't know a person it would be best not to get upset at such trivial things.
Peace :)
Eve

Scott_G

Second Unit
I can't spell. I've always had to memorize words, even then it's tough.

I read fast, no problem with math and have a great memory. Just can't spell at all.

Michael_UK

Stunt Coordinator
Some people find spelling harder than other people.

It is the same with maths, some people are just better at maths.

I find generally comunication skills, perseption and meaning of what is being said far more important than the spelling of the words.

I consider myself quite inteligent, I am not stupid, I work hard in my field (Computer science) but I find spelling words correctly quite hard.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Good grief, some of you guys are such nitpickers and probably have too much free time. Have any of you pet peevers considered that english is the misspelling poster's second or third language? After all, HTF has members from many parts of the globe.

I'll say this in belated observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. Judge a poster/post by the ideas within the content of the post. Not by the misuse of the characters typed.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'm an average person with an average intelligence and English is my third language. However, there is no excuse to misspell simple words.

We were taught by our teachers that misspelling of simple and common words shows disrespect to the language we currently are using, regardless of our first language. Therefore, to me, it is all about respect. I respect the English language, therefore I try to use it as proper as possible and misspelling is the easiest aspect of any language to improve.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Personally, I just type too fast, or I can't remember how to spell something, and try my best to spell it right.

Usually, it's just typos.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
My biggest pet peeve is using "of" instead of "have." For instance: "should of," "could of" or "would of." People are writing it like they pronounce the contraction, "should've," "could've" or "would've."

It doesn't bother me here so much as it does on pages like "Ain't-it-cool-news" where Knowles tries to pretend he has some journalitic integrity. It amazes me how he continually brings attention to his lack of grammatical skill, but never does anything to improve it.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
David Susilo wrote:

I'm an average person with an average intelligence and English is my third language. However, there is no excuse to misspell simple words.

---------------------------

Ok David so how do you explain why the author of this thread incorrectly spelled misspell? Which is ironically the the topic of the thread.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
My biggest pet peeve is using "of" instead of "have."
While we're on the subject of pet peeves (here peeve..nice peeve): why do so few people know when to use "its" rather than "it's"? The speaker was knocked off it's stand???

Even worse: people who, for some reason, think you need to add an apostrophe before the S when pluralizing a noun. Lion's and tiger's and bear's...

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Reginald Trent:

What does the poster have anything to do with me? I'm expressing my view and that's that. The poster might have just mistyped the word.

Like I previously mentioned. Typo is acceptable, not misspelling.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
David you wrote:

-------------------------

Therefore, if you were referring to just yourself why didn't you say "However, there is no excuse FOR ME to misspell simple words.

OK, so how do you know it is not misspelled instead of a typo?

BTW if it is in text and spelled incorrectly, it is misspelled, PERIOD. We do not know if the poster knows how to spell it correctly. Perhaps it was misspelled due to typos but nevertheless still misspelled.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Wow Reginald, nobody is attacking you personally on this particular thread. I don't understand why you should be that defensive. If you have problem with the poster, I think it's best to take it up with the original poster and not me.

Regardless, if a single word is being posted numerous time by the same person with the same mistake then it's enough proof that it is a misspelling, not a typo.

If you have an axe to grind, grind somewhere else. The fact that you baselessly that these posts are attacking you is enough evidence that you feel that there is something wrong with your spelling capability. Not that I'm implying anything.

When I just arrived in Australia and was unable to speak a word of English, the first thing I did was to go and buy a $1 dictionary at a pawn shop in Australia. It helped me a lot. A lot of reading helped me too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I suggest that some of you chill out when responding to another member's post! Life is too short to get bent out of shape about an issue that can't be solved on this forum. This forum is all about having casual conversations especially in regard to HT related subject matter and not worrying whether a particular word is spelled correctly or a sentence is structured properly. It's almost like having a friendly conversation with an acquaintance.
Crawdaddy

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, and what would happen if a person always misspelled a word but goofed and accidently spelled it correctly? How would we ever know?

Glenn

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
We were taught by our teachers that misspelling of simple and common words shows disrespect to the language we currently are using, regardless of our first language. Therefore, to me, it is all about respect. I respect the English language, therefore I try to use it as proper as possible and misspelling is the easiest aspect of any language to improve.
NONSENSE - and I say this in the friendliest possible way.

What I can't stand are people who draw conclusions on other people based on spelling.

French is my first language. I was an excellent writer and speaker, was an A student, and was known throughout my family for it. Then english came to the picture (moved to an english speaking country) and now my spelling in BOTH languages in less than perfect. I guess I am disrespeting both languages...

--

Holadem

David Susilo

Screenwriter
"nonsense"

So you personally know all of my teachers? can you tell me the names of all the schools that I went to? You can't? Then don't say "nonsense".

You have lived in Indonesia, Australia, and Canada? Have we been in the same class ever? No? Then don't say "nonsense".

I was writing about MY EXPERIENCE, and NOT yours.

Respecting any language was what my teachers (both Indonesian, German and English) taught me in Indonesia, Australia and Canada. I guess all ten of them are wrong.

Oh, and tell that to the judge (?) who gave the exact same speech when we were receiving our Canadian citizenship.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
David,

I'm afraid you have things twisted. I'm debating and challenging the logic of your position. NOT YOU PERSONALLY. I am open-minded and comfortable enough with myself that I don't fear being wrong. However, I'll repeat what I said earlier. No one is perfect, that is the philosophy that I strive to live by. I don't get annoyed by misspelling. Because within the context of this forum, helping each other is what is paramount, not how well you spell.

Sure, spelling well and articulating your thoughts in a cohesive fashion helps, but it is not the most important aspect. On a somewhat related subject, ever notice how crummy the handwritting is of doctors and lawyers? Does it mean they are a little dim-witted because of their poor handwritting?

Botton line, I help if I can irrespective of the punctuation and spelling within a given post. Furthermore this is a Home Theater Forum not a english class.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Reginald, I apologize for the misunderstanding. However, with regards to "this is not an English class", well, it is true, however, the purpose of this particular thread is to discuss misspelling, therefore makeing it somewhat of an English class.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks