What's new

Why can't people spell? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I've often wondered reading through posts, whether the reason so many simple words are mispelled is because a) posts are written so quickly, that no time is given to checking (and arguably no time should be given, as we can usually figure out the true intention behind even gross spelling errors), or b) is it cos a lota people done got no highschool! :D
Just wondering! No offence intended to those that can't spell.
(Rigorously checked for spulling errors!:D)

Don Foley

Auditioning
Hmmm, Paul, perhaps it's an English thing...

but you misspelled your "mispelled"

perhaps you just answered your own question.

df

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm anal about my spelling. If I notice one tiny mistake, I'll go back and edit my post. However, some people obviously don't care about such mistakes. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal... :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What's weird is that I know a voracious reader who's a terrible speller, and I just don't understand it, but for some, it's their verbal deficiency. Some people just care about conveying the ideas, and don't go the extra mile to proof-read or look up the spellings of words they are not sure of.
I also type fast to get out a post, and will correct the spelling or tense later if I get a chance to re-proof it.
"Please not every one of us can be as good a speller as Dan Quail(sic)" :)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I misspell because I have three letters on m keyboard that don't work well unless I nail them.

YEP I know you guys will figure it out.

Brent

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I personally differentiate misspelling from typographical error. If someone continually misspelling a word over, then I consider that as misspelling and needs to be educated. However, typographical error is an occasional error. The person knows how to spell the word correctly but merely mistyped it.

"I cna type 300 wrods per minuet"

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
'Misspell' is one of the most commonly misspelled words.
As originator of the 'ironic' thread, I pronounce that as official irony. :)
Jon
(edited to place a smiley)
(edited again to spell smiley correctly)

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about the rest of you, but I type perfectly.
Unfortnutlee, thiz dam keebord kant speel fur skwat.
:D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What I hate is when people use chatroom lingo outside of chatrooms (u instead of you, r instead of are, etc.) It's annoying.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I personally don't care. Whatever is needed to get the point across is fine. I type fast and do make typeos and people always understand me, I have never had anyone question my meanings in a post yet.

Now if I were in a professional environment, things would be of course different.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Yet another Paul. "Theres" should be "there's"
Inverted commas in posts is an optional thing for me. As I'm typing I realise when I need to insert one, and its up to my fingrs whether or not they drift across or not!:D
But, I do appreciate that not inserting them, technically constitutes a spelling error.:emoji_thumbsup:

Brad_W

Screenwriter
What is all this tomfoolery about spelling words wrong?

I hate that even though at times I am victem of it myself.

Here is another problem:

Right and Wrong are morally right and wrong so technically people should say 'correct' and 'incorrect' and whatnot.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Spelling errors and the misuse of words doesn't bother me as long as I can understand the point they are trying to make. If it did, I guess I'd be hanging out at theenglishlanguageadvocacyforum.com.
I would tell you what does bother me, but you could probably care less :D

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Speaking of this, what happened to the spell checker? It used to be on the last forum software HTF used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks