What's new

Why can't I tell difference between upscaled DVD and Blu Ray movie (1 Viewer)

biglovin373

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
I have the new TC-P42X3 42" Panasonic Plasma 720p... Now I know there are many debates over weather 720 or 1080p makes a difference or not in 42" TV's, and I'm curious if maybe that is my issue.

Ive been watching seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter on this TV and had them in DVD... I have an LG Blu-ray player. I just bought the 3rd season on Blu-ray and began watching it last night and could tell no difference between that and the DVD's I had been watching.

Is it possibly settings... or is it because I have a 720p tv and not 1080p.

Please enlighten me.

biglovin373

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Originally Posted by TravisR

I'm no expert but take a look in the player's menu and see if the video output is set for 1080i or 1080p rather than 525. I know my player was set for SD setting when I first got it.

I did that this morning and set it to 1080i... it was on automatic before that. Would it have anything to do with the Blu-ray... are some Blu-rays produced in better quality than others. For instance right now I'm watching Inception and I can tell a little difference... Would Inception in Blu-ray be in better quality than Dexter in Blu-ray?

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
There is definitely a difference between 720p and 1080 on a 42". I have a 42", 1080p set and can quickly tell when something is not in 1080. Don't get me wrong, 720 looks pretty good, but it would strike me as similar to the difference between DVD @ 480 and 720. Quite a bump in resolution and noticeable.

biglovin373

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Originally Posted by Cinescott

There is definitely a difference between 720p and 1080 on a 42". I have a 42", 1080p set and can quickly tell when something is not in 1080. Don't get me wrong, 720 looks pretty good, but it would strike me as similar to the difference between DVD @ 480 and 720. Quite a bump in resolution and noticeable.

Thanks for the Info... I work at Sears and purchased this TV about 2 weeks ago and I've loved it. They currently do not stock the 1080p verison of the 42"... I got this TV for $499 plus my employee discount... I don't know what the price difference would be for the 1080p version but oh well I guess.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Since your TV is 720p I would have the blu-ray player set to that as well. If it is outputing 1080i then your TV is down converting and you are only geting 720i. Setting your player to 720p should make a difference.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
1) make sure you are using component or HDMI and your bluray player is set to output at least 720P.

2) Screen size and seating distance play an important role in the perceived difference in picture quality. If you are sitting 15 feet away from a 42 inch screen then you are likely not going to see a big difference, assuming the same source material.

3) Yes there is a difference in quality among blurays. I am assuming Dexter is shot using HD cams and not film. There's probably next to zero "noise" in the captured images so the DVDs could possibly look very good if they are well mastered, despite the lack of resolution and compression DVD uses. It wouldn't suprise me that the difference would not be very noticeable on a 42 inch screen at a seating distance of 12 feet or so.

Get up close and I can guarantee you will see a difference.

biglovin373

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

1) make sure you are using component or HDMI and your bluray player is set to output at least 720P.

2) Screen size and seating distance play an important role in the perceived difference in picture quality. If you are sitting 15 feet away from a 42 inch screen then you are likely not going to see a big difference, assuming the same source material.

3) Yes there is a difference in quality among blurays. I am assuming Dexter is shot using HD cams and not film. There's probably next to zero "noise" in the captured images so the DVDs could possibly look very good if they are well mastered, despite the lack of resolution and compression DVD uses. It wouldn't suprise me that the difference would not be very noticeable on a 42 inch screen at a seating distance of 12 feet or so.

Get up close and I can guarantee you will see a difference.

This was very helpful thank you. While I was watching Inception I moved closer and I could tell a difference. I have my home theater set up as best as I can as I have my tv in the corner of the room. The chair I sit in is about 12 feet from the center of the screen. But on the Blu-ray setup menu I should change the setting to 720p? Instead of 1080i?

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by biglovin373

But on the Blu-ray setup menu I should change the setting to 720p? Instead of 1080i?

You'll get different answers for this one. At 12 feet it won't make any difference IMO but personally I would set at 720P. Just make sure you are set AT LEAST 720P. Don't go below that.

And keep buying blurays, you will be glad you did when the day comes you get that nice front projection setup :)

biglovin373

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

You'll get different answers for this one. At 12 feet it won't make any difference IMO but personally I would set at 720P. Just make sure you are set AT LEAST 720P. Don't go below that.

And keep buying blurays, you will be glad you did when the day comes you get that nice front projection setup :)

Thats kinda what I was thinking lol... One more question, Now on panasonics you can chose the picture mode, such as "vivid, cinema, standard," Should I just set this to what I think looks best? A guy that I work with who's sold electronics for a long time said to be sure to keep it on standard, but it looks too dark. Any suggestions?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by biglovin373

Thats kinda what I was thinking lol... One more question, Now on panasonics you can chose the picture mode, such as "vivid, cinema, standard," Should I just set this to what I think looks best? A guy that I work with who's sold electronics for a long time said to be sure to keep it on standard, but it looks too dark. Any suggestions?

If you want a picture that's the closest representation to what the filmmakers intended, select "cinema" - however, this is the least bright of the picture modes, so the brightness might not to be your liking; just because an image could be brighter doesn't mean that it should be. I mean, you're not gonna break your TV using a different setting. (Also, if you're watching in a room that's not completely dark, you might want a brighter image anyway.) In the end, it's your TV, your home setup - go with what looks best to you. It may not be technically "correct" in terms of matching the exact look the filmmakers wanted, but if you like it better, there's nothing wrong with that. (Personally I prefer the "cinema" mode, but I'm almost always watching in a very dark room so lack of brightness isn't an issue.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks