What's new

WHV Press Release: How The West was Won (DVD/Blu-Ray)+Western & Errol Flynn Classics (1 Viewer)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

Doug, other than the mention of 5.1 there hasn't been much, if any, discussion of the audio. It looks like we will be getting a 5:3 mixdown of the stage channels which I think does alter the impact. In encoding, the track can easily be re-configured for 5 stage channels but there are no receivers yet that have the means of spitting out inside left and right front. I'm set up for it and I am hoping maybe next year, possibly with "Ben-Hur", that an arrangement can be made to provide the original 6-track mix as well as the 5.1 mixdown.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Just to cure up some confusion here. Cinerama was SEVEN-track stereo, not 6.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
"One of only two narrative feature films produced in the original Cinerama® three-panel widescreen process"

What was the other film?

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
George Pal's "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" is the only one of the two to be shot completely in Cinerama - no rear projection or Ultra Panavision. It might sound greedy after the news about "How the West Was Won", but I hope Warners will someday give the same treatment to "Brothers Grimm", smilebox and all.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Any way to find out if WB will provide the box set for the BluRay edition? That would pretty awful if you had to buy both to get everything.

From looking at the BluRay artwork on DVDTimes, the BluRay seems to have one disc with a "flat" presentation and another with the Smileboxed version.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The big question with Brothers Grimm is whether Warners can find suitable elements to give it the same treatment. The only VHS release was pan-scanned and faded to oblivion.

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
Hi
Some further info:

"Making of HTWWW" seminar / rough cut (Digital Video 4 x 3 Projection) 1 hour hosted by Dave and Randy. (Randy & I will introduce several start and stop video segments and talk between them, this will be a "rough cut" of a 40 minute documentary for Warner Home Video. )

This will cover the origins of How The West Was Won beginning with a 1923 pageant, the seven part Life Magazine series, the popular Bing Crosby record album, and through the gigantic production that became the highest grossing picture made in the year 1962.

This would feature rare audio recordings of Henry Hathaway and the three ASC cameramen who shot the film talking about the difficulties of the Cinerama filming. On screen will be rare behind the scenes stories and never before seen interviews with the actors, producer and editors. An added bonus is an unusual look at the films spectacular locations back then and how they look today after 45 years.

We would briefly discuss the remastering of "How the West Was Won" and what the Warner Brothers plan is for SmileBox deluxe collectors edition.

We would also spend the last 15 minutes of the hour getting feedback on what the audience would like to see included in the final cut documentary.

This presentation will begin with a the showing of the 6 minute 3-panel trailer for "How the West Was Won" on the curved screen.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Just a comment on the extras pictured above.

The "Exhibitors Campaign Book" in the lower left corner, was for the 35mm general release. This is a pressbook that the theatre owner could use to order posters, movie program books, lobby cards, etc.

The movie program in the bottom center was a hard cover and sold at Cinerama theatres. A smaller black and white program was handed out at the performance.

The poster in the bottom right corner was also for the 35mm general release.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I don't know about "a lot". I remember parts of the river rapids and the train robbery scenes were not filmed in Cinerama. Maybe a total of 5 minutes? Sorry, I would have to watch it again to see which ones and how long they were.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
As excited as I am for this upcoming release, I have to echo the sentiments of others that it is incredibly lame that Warners is not offering the Smilebox option with the big expensive UCE set. No BluRay exclusives at this point will drive me to upgrade and only serve to piss off the loyal supporters of home video companies releasing products in other SD formats.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I've got to agree. I'm not sure exactly where they get the nerve to market something as the Ultimate Collection and then leave off a major supplement. I can see coming out with it sometime later, but to basically stick it to the folks paying 60 bucks day and date is pretty galling.

If you're willing to pay that much money for this movie, you'll want to at least have access to the smilebox version. Even Warners should be bright enough to figure that one out. :rolleyes

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I totally agree. For $60 the SD-UCE should be 4 discs, including both letterboxed and smileboxed versions of the film.

The resolution argument doesn't make sense. Smileboxing the film means there is more efficient use of the resolution because of less letterboxing, producing a roughly 2.59:1 image. I can't understand why Warner thought it was OK to release the film uncorrected at 2.89:1 on SD-DVD, but not at 2.59:1 smileboxed.

I may opt for just the standard 2 disc collector's edition...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I understand that the elements for The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm are in bad shape. While it is an interesting and entertaining film, it was not a big money maker and was a small part of the decline of the three-panel Cinerama (theatre payroll being a large part).

MGM did release a letterbox laserdisc many years ago and thankfully I still have it. Thank you George F for that and the upcoming How The West Was Won.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps Warner Bros will release the restored version of How The West Was Won in theaters before the DVD release. Though other than the Cinerama Dome in LA, how many theaters can still show a Cinerama film with three projectors?
I also saw the film at the Dome and was blown away even though I had seen the film before on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks