What's new

WHV Press Release: House of Wax (3D Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As usual, the studios are trying to figure out how much they can gouge the consumer. I've seen it priced as high as $36.99 on Amazon and that is a non-starter for me. When I preordered it, it was $25.19 and I don't like paying that much. CFTBL 3D is a bigger draw for me, and it is going for $16.93. So put HoW at $20. That seems about right.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope people buy it, there should be deals about, if enough buy it then we are going to get other classic 3D titles, if they don't buy it....well...

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm buying at some point but will probably wait for a price-drop.... Maybe the Black Friday sales will find it for a good price on Amazon... fingers crossed.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
This hasn't been announced for release in the UK so I shall have to import it. This title is the one I have been most looking forward to.

I have been very critical of Warners for their slow release of classic titles on blu-ray this year so I thank them in advance. I hope the pricing is such that it will be an instant hit because if people wait to buy it then this will give them no incentive to increase their flow of classic titles in general and 3-D in particular.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
FoxyMulder said:
I hope people buy it, there should be deals about, if enough buy it then we are going to get other classic 3D titles, if they don't buy it....well...
I'm with you, I would love for this to be a BIG sales success, but I don't think the general public is going to pay $30 for a movie that is over 50 years-old.
classicmovieguy said:
I'm buying at some point but will probably wait for a price-drop.... Maybe the Black Friday sales will find it for a good price on Amazon... fingers crossed.
This speaks volumes. If any selection of the public is going to pay any price, it's a HTF member. But some of us won't There's going to be more members of the general public that will do the same.
Keith Cobby said:
This hasn't been announced for release in the UK so I shall have to import it. This title is the one I have been most looking forward to.

I have been very critical of Warners for their slow release of classic titles on blu-ray this year so I thank them in advance. I hope the pricing is such that it will be an instant hit because if people wait to buy it then this will give them no incentive to increase their flow of classic titles in general and 3-D in particular.
The current pricing sure doesn't give me much hope that they will price it to "sell." Sometimes I think the studios don't have a clue about pricing. I guess they figure a lower amount of units sold at a higher price is better than selling more at a lower price.

It's this kind of thinking that is hurting the acceptance of 3D.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I think the point about pricing is that if it is not a favourite title then the inclination is to wait for a sale. This is why the Twilight Time business model is effective for those titles that might not generate enough sales at an acceptable price point; so their answer is to only produce a fixed number of copies at a non-negotiable price. I think Nick Redman said in his interview that he would prefer to see blu-ray as a premium product (at a premium price). Obviously if everyone only bought deep catalogue titles heavily discounted from a bargain bin then the flow would slow up. Maybe this is what is happening.

House of Wax and The Fly - they are slowly trickling out.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I know I've repeated it several times, but here it comes again.

Hopefully, better than expected sales for "House Of Wax" in 3D will open the door for a 3D "Kiss Me Kate"

I'm ordering Wax today.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think Warner will sell an amount to the people willing to buy at this price, & then sales will slow & that's when they'll lower the price. I can't blame Warner for making as much money as they can on this title, as it sounds like it cost them a fair old bit to get it right. So to get it a wee bit cheaper, you just need a bit of patience. I hope it gets a release in the UK (or at least in Europe), as postage from America is a bit expensive these days.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Warner's other 1950's 3-D title Dial M for Murder has been out for about a year and I have not seen that price below 29.99.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is also being released in France in October (and probably other European countries) which will save those of us in Europe from those hefty importation costs.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I just asked George Feltenstein (sorry, on another web site) about the sound on HOW Blu-ray and his response is below.

"I've seen a demo of the HOUSE OF WAX 3D BD. It looks and sounds amazing. There is nothing new in terms of audio, but the visual presentation looked like the best of old VIEW MASTER to me! :) Thanks"

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
RolandL said:
George also said "If HOUSE OF WAX sells well, it bodes well for KATE!"
Sometimes, I think the studios think "we think the customer should pay this xxx." I'd rather they think "we think the customer is willing to pay xxx."That quote says to me the studio thinks they are granting the customer the privilege of buying their product at whatever price they choose. If HoW sells poorly it will be because they overpriced it, but the studio will blame the customer.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Brandon Conway said:
I also agree that it will most likely be SD. Extra feature films on Warner BD releases have typically been SD, such as Ben-Hur (1925) (on Ben-Hur (1959)), The Wizard of Oz (1925) (on The Wizard of Oz (1939)), The Invisible Boy (1957) (on Forbidden Planet (1956)), etc.

Hi Brandon!

I'm very late to the party, in terms of realizing that Bonus SD Transfers are pretty much commonplace with WHV. What I've found with the 75th Anniversary Wizard Of Oz set is that some of the SD Blu-ray Extras, including THE WIZARD OF OZ 1925 silent feature, suffer from baked in stair stepping, as illustrated in my screenshot below:

THE WIZARD OF OZ (1925) 480i Screenshot From Blu-ray.png

As a comparison, here's a screenshot from the previous 2005 DVD release. Note the much smoother imaging:

THE WIZARD OF OZ (1925) 480i Screenshot From DVD.png

It's too bad that Warner chooses to do this with many Extras on their Blu-ray sets, and in my opinion, these Films that are packaged that way deserve much better!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks