What's new

WHV Press Release: Friday The 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
What evidence is there that the new-to-Blu films will be bare bones?
My understanding (and it could be flawed) is that the special features of Parts 4 or 5 to 10 are moved to a separate bonus DVD. Presumably that's an effort to save space since parts 5 to 10 are two movies to a disc.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I guess my evidence comes in the form that the movies after #4 are all presented as double features. This doesn't connote that there are any extras included. I could be wrong on that - they might have some of the materials found on the SD DVD set "From Crystal Lake to Manhattan". But I doubt that WB has put any effort into trying to generate new extra content here. If they had, they would have trumpeted all their new bonuses. Instead, they're talking about including part of the book in the packaging. Which makes the whole enterprise sound like another WB "Big Box o' Stuff" idea as opposed to a bunch of new and interesting content.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The double feature discs for the Nightmare on Elm Street Blu-rays carried over the DVD special features. Maybe these will be bare bones, but it's far from definitive.

EDIT: Wait, I just saw this phrase from the press release: "11 hours of previously released special features". Whether these are on the individual discs or the bonus DVD what does it matter?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Brandon Conway said:
The double feature discs for the Nightmare on Elm Street Blu-rays carried over the DVD special features. Maybe these will be bare bones, but it's far from definitive.

EDIT: Wait, I just saw this phrase from the press release: "11 hours of previously released special features". Whether these are on the individual discs or the bonus DVD what does it matter?
If they release the movies individually (well, as double features, really) later, they're likely to just re-use the existing discs, so it determines whether or not any such future releases will be barebones.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think I should have said "no new content" rather than "bare bones". I agree that even on double feature Blus, they could include the bonuses from the previously released SD discs from the "From Crystal Lake to Manhattan" set. But that still means we're looking at a repackaging of what has previously been available. The real trick here is for people who'd like to own these movies in HD and in one box.

Everything I'm seeing here indicates that Discs 1, 2, 3, 8 and 9 are just the ones already on the market. The middle F13 movies that haven't been out on Blu look like they've been packed onto as few discs as possible. I haven't seen any indication that any new commentaries or interviews are part of this set. It just really feels like a repackaging for Blu.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
It just really feels like a repackaging for Blu.
It doesn't feel that way, it is that way. :) Personally, I'm just happy to get the rest of the Paramount F13s so I can live with that.

As for the lack of new extras, since Warners is just the distributor doesn't that put the blame on Paramount?

EDIT: Keep in mind that there's the new 7 hour Crystal Lake Memories documentary coming out in August (and if you order it from their website, there's a bonus disc with 4 hours of additional material). Not that fans should have to buy something else to get new extras but I'm sure that doc will be more in-depth than any studio special features would ever be.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm okay with blaming both Warners and Paramount equally. Just imagine what Scream Factory would do with this if they had the chance.

Do you have a link to that Camp Crystal Lake site? I just bought that "His Name Is Jason" one from a few years back since it went dirt cheap. Not watched it yet though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
According to a F13 website ( http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2013/06/friday-13th-blu-ray-box-set-full-list.html ), here's the list of the contents:
Friday The 13th
- R Rated, Theatrical Release
- Commentary by Director Sean S. Cunningham with Cast and Crew
- Friday the 13th Reunion
- Fresh Cuts: New Tales from Friday the 13th
- The Man Behind the Legacy: Sean S. Cunningham
- Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 1
- The Friday the 13th Chronicles
- Secrets Galore Behind the Gore
- Theatrical Trailer

Friday The 13th Part II
- Inside "Crystal Lake memories"
- Friday's Legacy: Horror Conventions
- Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 2
- Jason Forever (used on 2004 release/Best Buy bonus disc)
- Theatrical Trailer

Friday The 13th Part III
- 3D and 2D versions of film
- 2 Pairs of 3D glasses
- Fresh Cuts: 3D Terror
- Legacy of the Mask
- Slasher Films: Going for the Jugular
- Lost tales From Camp Blood, Part 3
- Theatrical Trailer

Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter
- Commentary by the director, screenwriter and editor
- "Fan" Commentary
- Vintage Featurettes
- Deleted Scenes
- Original Theatrical Trailer

Friday The 13th: A New Beginning
- Commentary by Director/Co-Screenwriter with Cast and Crew
- Vintage Featurettes

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI
- Commentary by Director with Cast and Crew
- Vintage Featurettes
- Slashed Scenes
- Original Theatrical Teaser Trailer

Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
- "Killer" Commentary by Director and Actors
- Vintage Featurettes
- Slashed Scenes

Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
- Commentary by Director
- "Killer Commentary by Actors Scott Reeves, Jensen Dagget and Kane Hodder
- Vintage Featurettes
- Slashed Scenes

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
- Commentary by Adam Marcus and Dean Lorey
- TV Version Alternate Scenes

Jason X
- Commentary by Jim Isaac, Todd Farmer and Noel Cunningham
- Vintage Featurettes
- Theatrical Trailer

Freddy vs. Jason
- Commentary by Director Ronny Yu, Robert Englund (Freddy) and Ken Kirzinger (Jason)
- Featurette Gallery Covering the Film's Development, Art Direction, Makeup Effects, Stuntwork and More
- Visual Effects Exploration with the Creative Team
- My Summer Vacation: A visit to Camp Hackenslash
- Ill NiÃno How Can I Live Music Video
- Deleted Scenes

Friday The 13th (2009)
- Theatrical and Extended Cuts
- Rebirth of Jason Voorhees
- Interactive PIP with Trivia Track
- Hacking Back/Slashing Forward
- The 7 Best Kills Extra
- Additional Scenes
- BD live: My Commentary

Friday the 13th Killer Bonus Disc
- Friday the 13th Chronicles: Part I - VIII
- Secrets Galore Behind The Gore (3 Part Featurette)
- Original Trailers - Part I - VIII
I think/hope this list has some of the usual press release errors. Jason Goes To Hell is listed as the theatrical cut BUT they're saying that the original movie is also the theatrical cut and that's clearly the same disc as before (which was unrated) so I'm not ready to give up on Jason Goes To Hell being the uncut version yet.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
And the first one's not uncut? Screw that, this sale just went super low priority to me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
And the first one's not uncut?
I'm willing to bet the house that that's not the case (not a legally binding bet :) ). They'd have to create a new disc just to delete 10 or so seconds of footage and I can't believe that Paramount or Warners has any interest in spending any money on this set beyond the bare minimum.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
TravisR said:
I'm willing to bet the house that that's not the case (not a legally binding bet :) ). They'd have to create a new disc just to delete 10 or so seconds of footage and I can't believe that Paramount or Warners has any interest in spending any money on this set beyond the bare minimum.
I hope you're right. Though my threat that this has gone down on my priority isn't much of one since I never did plan to buy it unless it hit a good sale. :P

That Camp Crystal Lake doc is by the guys who did the "Never Sleep Again" nightmare on elm street doc. I bought it with His Name is Jason, and haven't watched it either. Are they any good? I got them both for about $10 each.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
That Camp Crystal Lake doc is by the guys who did the "Never Sleep Again" nightmare on elm street doc. I bought it with His Name is Jason, and haven't watched it either. Are they any good? I got them both for about $10 each.
His Name Was Jason wasn't bad but it's pretty short so there's only so much they can cover. Never Sleep Again is probably the best movie documentary that I've ever seen and I'm not even that big of a Freddy fan. It's amazingly in-depth and since the original movie was the only to really get much behind the scenes attention, it was nice to finally hear about the sequels (even the suck ones). Since I love the F13 movies (even the suck ones), I'm damn near counting down the days to see what they do with that doc and with an even longer run time.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wow - how did this one slip past? I love the hell out of these flicks!

Anyway, does anyone have their hands on this set yet? Any word of reviews? Whats the skinny?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ In my experience, the typical F13 fan will bitch uncontrollably no matter what but the real problems with the set that I see are that Jason Goes To Hell is the R rated cut (making a really bad movie much worse) and that Part III is just Paramount's anaglyph 3-D disc again. Personally, I'm just happy to get the rest of the Paramount F13s in HD and to get the features from the most recent DVDs ported over.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
While I might be a fan, I just want a reasonable set - a comparable version of the set they put together for the Nightmare on Elm Street flicks would be awesome. I just don't want to get dicked around a year or two down the road with All New Features and uncut stuff.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
If what I've read on other forums is true, the really irritating thing about the JASON GOES TO HELL Blu being the R rated cut, is that the digital download is the unrated version.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tony J Case said:
While I might be a fan, I just want a reasonable set - a comparable version of the set they put together for the Nightmare on Elm Street flicks would be awesome. I just don't want to get dicked around a year or two down the road with All New Features and uncut stuff.
My guess is that this is the last time that these movies will be released on physical media (outside of when they release each disc individually). They can always do new special features but I think the uncut scenes for the Paramount movies are likely lost to history. Despite this set's flaws, I'd say that it's actually quite a bit better than the Nightmare On Elm Street set because of the amount of special features on the F13 set. Plus, Jason is way better than Freddy. :)

And speaking of special features, there's also a 7 hour documentary coming out separately called Crystal Lake Memories. They interviewed about 150 people involved with all the movies and the TV series. It's from the same people who made the incredible Nightmare On Elm Street documentary so that should be pretty great. http://www.crystallakememories.net/index.html

Derrick King said:
If what I've read on other forums is true, the really irritating thing about the JASON GOES TO HELL Blu being the R rated cut, is that the digital download is the unrated version.
I've never used UV but is it standard definition? That might explain why it's the unrated version.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't care about special features, this set is a letdown, no proper 3D version of part 3 and no unrated cut of Jason Goes To Hell, for the latter that would be all well and good but when it's available in unrated form on DVD and has always been available uncut here in the UK and you get the inferior R rated cut only on what is supposedly a superior format ( blu ray ) then it just strikes me as all wrong, for those buying i hope you enjoy your movies but i can't spend money on this, if it is the last time it's released on physical media then so be it, i'll wait for individual releases and maybe pick up a few.

I will add that i don't mind picking up R rated versions if that's all that exists on DVD but if something better exists on DVD and that would be the unrated edition of Jason Goes To Hell and it isn't getting ported over to blu ray then i see red and get annoyed, that means no sale.

I do think in the future that costs may come down as technology improves, we may then see some of the cut scenes put back in, that's my hope anyways, i really have a wish to see part 3 in proper 3D too and i think it will happen at some point, maybe if enough people buy this disappointing box set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I don't care about special features, this set is a letdown, no proper 3D version of part 3 and no unrated cut of Jason Goes To Hell, for the latter that would be all well and good but when it's available in unrated form on DVD and has always been available uncut here in the UK and you get the inferior R rated cut only on what is supposedly a superior format ( blu ray ) then it just strikes me as all wrong, for those buying i hope you enjoy your movies but i can't spend money on this, if it is the last time it's released on physical media then so be it, i'll wait for individual releases and maybe pick up a few.

I will add that i don't mind picking up R rated versions if that's all that exists on DVD but if something better exists on DVD and that would be the unrated edition of Jason Goes To Hell and it isn't getting ported over to blu ray then i see red and get annoyed, that means no sale.

I do think in the future that costs may come down as technology improves, we may then see some of the cut scenes put back in, that's my hope anyways, i really have a wish to see part 3 in proper 3D too and i think it will happen at some point, maybe if enough people buy this disappointing box set.
The reason why Jason Goes To Hell is not uncut is because the uncut version only exists in SD (just like A Nightmare On Elm Street 5). I'd guess that New Line/Warners most likely has the negative and they definitely should have spent the money on going back to that footage but if you're looking for a reason, that's why.

As for technology improving, it's never going to improve to the point where a VHS workprint of edited footage can get cut into even an SD release (let alone HD or 4K) of the movie. Maybe some day, the edited footage will be found laying in a Paramount vault but I can't see any reason to think that they've kept edited footage for decades of these movies when, at the time they were made, there was absolutely no reason to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks