What's new

Whos getting Super Speedway? (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
If i read correctly, its suppose to have the new widescreen version from the high def master on this one :)
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Strongly considering it. I already own the original but with a 16 X 9 transfer from Hi Def. this would quickly become a reference disc on my widescreen set.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There is no "hi-def" Super Speedway.
The 16:9 on the disc will be one of two things.
1) A cropped, non-OAR version from the original 1.44:1 IMAX negative.
or
2) A 16:9 documentary on the making of Super Speedway.
Anyone who wants IMAX films to be cropped to 16:9 to fit their widescreen sets is no different than the "J6P" types who want everything panned and scanned to fit their 4:3 sets. I am not trying to start a flame war, and I assume that any regular HTF member who wants this release in 16:9 does not understand that it is cropped. No bashing!
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 02, 2001 at 12:16 PM]

Dhananjaya Garcia

Auditioning
Michael,
I agree with you in principle, but it's possible they may make a version optimized for 16x9 which may be worth it.
Considering that you're cropping top and bottom, rather than left and right, most of the time you'll probably be cropping relatively dead space compared with 16:9 to 4:3 P&S, where they end up cutting people out of the picture. If you do have a 16:9 set, it could be the ticket. Or not :).
I have the current SS, but until they come out with Le Mans and Grand Prix, I'll buy anything with fast cars
cool.gif
. Hell, I even pre-ordered Driven
rolleyes.gif
!
I did notice a pre-order for a F1 2000 Season disc - woo-hoo!
Cheers,
DJ
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
From the details I read it seemed like there might be two versions of Super Speedway in the set: a 1.33:1 version(slightly modified from the 1.44:1 IMAX ratio), and another in 1.78:1 anamorphic (quite possibly it was framed for HDTV sets to begin with).
DTS!! Oh, yeah!
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I definately will not be getting it because we're playing it at the IMAX theater I work at and I've seen the damn thing more times than I care to remember :)
I dunno about the "widescreen" version. There are definately some shots in the film that cannot be cropped top and bottom because of framing. I may see if I can rent it or something just to see what they do to it. It is true though, that many times there is just alot of sky at the top and it could survive the crop with little to no damage to the actual information, still, the issue does revolve around "director intent" and not around "can you get away with it."

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This discussion reminds me of when Disney re-released 'Snow White' in the 1980s and made 1.85:1 prints, destroying the original framing.
If 16:9 ever becomes the dominant screen format in the USA, I can definitely envision a time where most academy ratio films are cropped top and bottom (and Panavision films are cropped on the sides, like HD-HBO is already doing). This could easily become the preferred practice even for HD-DVD.
It's going to be interesting to see exactly how this disc is formatted, and how HTF members respond if it is cropped.
wink.gif

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Michael I think most members who buy the cropped 16:9 release will not say not say a word about improper framing. It is filling their 16:9 sets and thats all that matters.
Considering that you're cropping top and bottom, rather than left and right, most of the time you'll probably be cropping relatively dead space compared with 16:9 to 4:3 P&S, where they end up cutting people out of the picture.
All of sudden space on the top and bottom of a frame is considered dead. I must have missed the announcement made that this is so.
rolleyes.gif

Hmm, I wonder how many of the members who have posted here stating they will buy the disc cried out about Wonka being misframed as well? Dare I say within the realms of the home theater buffs, we are beginning to have our own version of Joe Six Pack????
J
------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
My existing copy is still good enough for me to enjoy for a while longer. The sound has always been stellar -- in fact I can blame a demo of it at a dealer a couple of years ago for the search for my then-new set of main speakers. And if I ever want to see this film with a butchered OAR, I can simply "zoom" the image via my projector. (Please notify me when hell freezes over, so I can schedule that screening.) :>)
Burke

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm personally not going to rest until an Omnimax-formatted version is released.
biggrin.gif

- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Silliness aside, this is about choices. Choices are good.
If you want to approximate the 7x5 IMAX aspect ratio, you can get the 4x3 version of Super Speedway and be happy. If you want to fill the width of your 16x9 television in full anamorphic resolution, you can get the 16x9 version and be happy.
As long as both choices are offered, I don't see the problem.
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
NO SALE
I would almost bet my original widescreen Wonka that this is related to Walmart refusing to sell product that only includes a widescreen version. Remember folks, a few weeks ago I told you that the studios were caving in to this pressure and compromising the content of their DVD's.
Isn't this the exact same thing. Compromising the original intent of the director? I agree choices are good, but not in this case, or should I say this forum. It is the same as if you or any memeber made a statement here to buy the full frame version of Jurassic Park or Remember the Titans because it filled up your whole screen.
In all your posts you seemed like a staunch supporter of OAR, but now I am getting the message that Pan and Scan is bad unless it makes a 16x9 version to fill my whole screen.
J

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am not going to debate this topic. Good night.
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Will the "old" version continue to be available? (Or be included on the new disc?)
The new SE of Super Speedway includes....
- The film framed at 1.33:1 (close to it's OAR of 1.44:1, same version on the current DVD)
- The film in a new high def transfer framed at 1.78:1 (enhanced for 16x9 TVs).
Most IMAX films are shot at 1.44:1, so I'm guessing the 1.78:1 could be a matted version, but I don't know. Maybe we'll find out when the new DVD comes out.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
This DVD is already a reference sound and image, but that said I will gladly turn it in for an ANAMORPHIC version. In general I prefer OAR, but I am not an elitist and will make an exception from time to time. This is one of those time! Bring it on!!!
Ozzie

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
LOL :)
If you dont want a "butchered" version dont buy it!
As far as has been stated, both versions are suppose to be on the new disc, but who knows.
If indeed the SE disc is "enhanced for widescreen" and has been cropped in the process, then youve gotta ask yourself what is more important, picture quality or OAR.
Again, if both versions are on this disc, then both parties will be happy.
Hmm, I wonder how many of the members who have posted here stating they will buy the disc cried out about Wonka being misframed as well?
Not me, i hate Willie Wonka!! :)
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks