Who sticks around for the end credits?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by JamesCB, Dec 16, 2003.

1. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Any time I purchase or rent a new movie, I make it a point to watch the ENTIRE end credits. Not only do I like to listen to the music in 5.1, but, there are sometimes surprises at the end. Pirates of the Caribbean is a perfect example of why. At the very end there is a short skit involving the monkey, and the music during the end credits was amazing (some serious deep bass). I have noticed this at the very end of the credits on several movies. Does anyone watch the credits and what surprises have you found at the end?

2. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Those people worked hard to make that film, and the only recognition they get for that hard work is their name scrolling across the screen after everything goes to black. I would never even think of leaving the theatre until THE ENTIRE movie is finished and the lights come up.

Also, a lot of films have a little clip after the credits that I'm the only sitting through. When I talked about that scene at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean, everyone at work thought I was on crack...

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

For the last year or two, whenever I've gone to the theater, I've always stayed for the end credits.

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I will watch them at home and at the theatre if I'm my own ride. Very few of my friends like to stick around so if they are my ride, I go.

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

My wife will absolutely NOT leave until after the credits end.

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I stick around... for the music, offers insight into the making of the movie by seeing who did what, and sometines, you are greeted with a surprise scene or song at the very end.

7. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

God no. Only if there's stuff happening during the credits (e.g., Ferris Bueller, Old School). If it's a DVD I'll sometimes scan through the credits to see if there's any little silly bits afterwards.

Oh, then I'm sure you also would never think of leaving a restaurant without first getting the names of the chef, the waitress, and the busboy. And you never would dream of buying anything without learning the names of the entire store staff.

Most people never get "recognition" for what they do, especially not in any kind of public sense. They get paid, and they get something to put on their resume. I don't feel obligated to know the names of everyone who put work into something I enjoy.

8. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I do at the cinema; less so at home after the second or third viewing unless the music suits my mood at the time.

Sometimes you can glean some interesting tidbits in the credits themselves: locations (I always get a sense of pride whenever Canadian locations are used); words of thanks to individuals or organizations (I didn't know that the FBI 'endorsed' The Silence of the Lambs for instance as opposed to, in TV-Land, The X-Files series).

Then there are those rare highly-stylized credits that I consider works of art such as those for Se7en and Spawn.

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    When I saw "Schindler's List" for the first time in the theater no one, and I mean absolutely no one, moved until the credits finished and the lights came up, they were that moved by the experience.

Conversely, I had heard about a bit at the end of the last Harry Potter movie and honestly I couldn't sit through all of those credits to see it, they were just too long.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

In theaters, I like to stay through the main credits to see if there were anybody I follow involved. In theaters I skip out once the rolling credits start. At home I fast foward to check out the things that interest me.

11. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

I never leave before the film ends. In other words, yes I stay for the credits, and I let the film run to the end when watching a DVD.

If my wife and I are with friends who don't want to stay for the credits, we stay anyway. They can meet us in the lobby if they wish.

I have noticed that the more "serious" the audience is about film, the more likely they'll stay for the credits. When attending screenings at film festivals, at the Academy theater, at the American Cinemateque, at Museums, most people stay. Interestingly, when seeing the recent theatrical screenings of the LOTR EEs, most of the audience stayed, which was very pleasing.

A word for those who like to leave before the end of the film: please get up and walk out quickly. Some people stand up and stay there chatting right in front of people who are still watching the film.[​IMG]

12. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

13. Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

I try to stay till the end, but usually I see movies with friends who'd rather leave as soon as the credits roll. Kinda sucks...

But I love it when they put outtakes or other bonus footage and the end...

14. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

15. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

I have a personal tradition; if I really enjoy the film, I stay for all the credits. To me, its like a curtain call for all the folks that made the film. I like to show them my appreciation by watching the credits.

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm still waiting for anyone to explain what they have to do which is so important that they must get out of the theater immediately! If the theater's done a good job presenting the film, you should never WANT it to end, and when it does you should want to either sneak into another movie or wait until it starts again!
    BTW last week I saw a sneak of the movie "Calendar Girls" at Downtown Plaza (which once again screwed up the movie by keeping the lights up during the whole show!) and I was the only one who stayed til the very end. (Some jerk stood up for a long time too, so I couldn't see who the director of photography was.) I heard later that there were people outside asking the audience what they thought about the movie as they were walking out, but nobody asked me anything when I finally left! I made sure to drop a note in the comment box letting them know why I never PAY to see a movie there anymore!

17. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Eh, I just leave when the credits roll. I only watch them when I have to know something for conversation's sake. Otherwise, I'm thankful in my heart.

19. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

20. Brian F

Brian F Agent

I almost always watch the entire credit lists when at home. I usually enjoy listening to the music, looking for weird and interesting stuff, or to watch for technical info. (like if a scope film was filmed 'In Panavision'). I usually do not stay at theaters because the ushers typically come in to clean before the credits end. There are two instances when I will stay through the credits at the theater:
    - If it is a full house, because I do not like to fight the crowds!
    - If it is the type of film that might have credit bonuses (like the recent Looney Tunes film, which had a sequence after the credits finished).