What's new

Who sticks around for the end credits? (1 Viewer)

JamesCB

Second Unit
Any time I purchase or rent a new movie, I make it a point to watch the ENTIRE end credits. Not only do I like to listen to the music in 5.1, but, there are sometimes surprises at the end. Pirates of the Caribbean is a perfect example of why. At the very end there is a short skit involving the monkey, and the music during the end credits was amazing (some serious deep bass). I have noticed this at the very end of the credits on several movies. Does anyone watch the credits and what surprises have you found at the end?

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Those people worked hard to make that film, and the only recognition they get for that hard work is their name scrolling across the screen after everything goes to black. I would never even think of leaving the theatre until THE ENTIRE movie is finished and the lights come up.

Also, a lot of films have a little clip after the credits that I'm the only sitting through. When I talked about that scene at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean, everyone at work thought I was on crack...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
For the last year or two, whenever I've gone to the theater, I've always stayed for the end credits.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I stick around... for the music, offers insight into the making of the movie by seeing who did what, and sometines, you are greeted with a surprise scene or song at the very end.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
God no. Only if there's stuff happening during the credits (e.g., Ferris Bueller, Old School). If it's a DVD I'll sometimes scan through the credits to see if there's any little silly bits afterwards.

Oh, then I'm sure you also would never think of leaving a restaurant without first getting the names of the chef, the waitress, and the busboy. And you never would dream of buying anything without learning the names of the entire store staff.

Most people never get "recognition" for what they do, especially not in any kind of public sense. They get paid, and they get something to put on their resume. I don't feel obligated to know the names of everyone who put work into something I enjoy.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I do at the cinema; less so at home after the second or third viewing unless the music suits my mood at the time.

Sometimes you can glean some interesting tidbits in the credits themselves: locations (I always get a sense of pride whenever Canadian locations are used); words of thanks to individuals or organizations (I didn't know that the FBI 'endorsed' The Silence of the Lambs for instance as opposed to, in TV-Land, The X-Files series).

Then there are those rare highly-stylized credits that I consider works of art such as those for Se7en and Spawn.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
When I saw "Schindler's List" for the first time in the theater no one, and I mean absolutely no one, moved until the credits finished and the lights came up, they were that moved by the experience.

Conversely, I had heard about a bit at the end of the last Harry Potter movie and honestly I couldn't sit through all of those credits to see it, they were just too long.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In theaters, I like to stay through the main credits to see if there were anybody I follow involved. In theaters I skip out once the rolling credits start. At home I fast foward to check out the things that interest me.

StevenA

Second Unit
I never leave before the film ends. In other words, yes I stay for the credits, and I let the film run to the end when watching a DVD.

If my wife and I are with friends who don't want to stay for the credits, we stay anyway. They can meet us in the lobby if they wish.

I have noticed that the more "serious" the audience is about film, the more likely they'll stay for the credits. When attending screenings at film festivals, at the Academy theater, at the American Cinemateque, at Museums, most people stay. Interestingly, when seeing the recent theatrical screenings of the LOTR EEs, most of the audience stayed, which was very pleasing.

A word for those who like to leave before the end of the film: please get up and walk out quickly. Some people stand up and stay there chatting right in front of people who are still watching the film.:rolleyes

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
Some people stand up and stay there chatting right in front of people who are still watching the film
In most people's opinion (Mine included) the film ends at which point it fades to black.

If there was something going on, a la Ferris Bueller's day off, or a Jackie Chan movie I could see getting pissed off -but not so you can find out who the grip was.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
I try to stay till the end, but usually I see movies with friends who'd rather leave as soon as the credits roll. Kinda sucks...

But I love it when they put outtakes or other bonus footage and the end...

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
If there was something going on...
That's our point, there often IS something going on!
Wonderful music (if you can hear it over the "Here's what I thought.." loudmouths.
Outtakes, an extra scene, location info, music credits (a favorite of mine)..
We've discussed this here before. But, for those of you not convinced, just take the extra 3 minutes and discover the treats that you have already paid for and that 99% of the crowd are missing.
I've also noticed the theater staff are getting much better about waiting until I decide the flippin' movie is over. I always thank them for that courtesy.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I have a personal tradition; if I really enjoy the film, I stay for all the credits. To me, its like a curtain call for all the folks that made the film. I like to show them my appreciation by watching the credits.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm still waiting for anyone to explain what they have to do which is so important that they must get out of the theater immediately! If the theater's done a good job presenting the film, you should never WANT it to end, and when it does you should want to either sneak into another movie or wait until it starts again!
BTW last week I saw a sneak of the movie "Calendar Girls" at Downtown Plaza (which once again screwed up the movie by keeping the lights up during the whole show!) and I was the only one who stayed til the very end. (Some jerk stood up for a long time too, so I couldn't see who the director of photography was.) I heard later that there were people outside asking the audience what they thought about the movie as they were walking out, but nobody asked me anything when I finally left! I made sure to drop a note in the comment box letting them know why I never PAY to see a movie there anymore!

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Most people never get "recognition" for what they do, especially not in any kind of public sense. They get paid, and they get something to put on their resume. I don't feel obligated to know the names of everyone who put work into something I enjoy.
Then leave the theatre. What's the problem? I was simply stating one of my reasons for staying. I've worked in the industry for my entire adult life, but started watching the credits when I was still in film school. I felt it was a matter of respect. These were people I hoped to work with some day. Now it's just nice to see if I recognize any names...

I just didn't expect any "film buffs" to try to ridicule me.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I just leave when the credits roll. I only watch them when I have to know something for conversation's sake. Otherwise, I'm thankful in my heart.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
...what surprises have you found at the end?
(from memory) After the end of the credits for:
  • Hannibal - Lecter's voice: "Ta, Ta. H." (as heard within the movie)
  • The Matrix Reloaded - a teaser for The Matrix Revolutions
  • Babe - the three-mice chorus more or less say "Thanks for watching our movie"
  • Star Wars: Episode II or was it I? - the sound of Darth Vader's deep breathing
  • Finding Nemo - a surprise encounter between two fish...
  • Chicken Run - the two mouse characters continue to argue onscreen about which came first: the chicken or the egg
  • The Fast and the Furious - Vin Diesel's character's successful getaway and a reiteration of his philosophy and quarter miles...

Brian F

Agent
I almost always watch the entire credit lists when at home. I usually enjoy listening to the music, looking for weird and interesting stuff, or to watch for technical info. (like if a scope film was filmed 'In Panavision'). I usually do not stay at theaters because the ushers typically come in to clean before the credits end. There are two instances when I will stay through the credits at the theater:
- If it is a full house, because I do not like to fight the crowds!
- If it is the type of film that might have credit bonuses (like the recent Looney Tunes film, which had a sequence after the credits finished).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks