What's new

Who know whats a better make Makita or Dewalt? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know what cordless driver is the better brand? Makita and Dewalt are both good, but if you were to choose from one of them what one would you choose? Iam looking at the Makita 6233dwae(14.4volt) and the Dewalt dw958k-2(18 volt):)

Chris Derby

Second Unit
All my friends that do construction swaer by their Dewalts. They've also told me that they'll never own another Makita. Wish I could provide more detail, but I can't.

James RD

Supporting Actor
I use Makita and DeWalt. They are both good. You also might want to take a look at the Panasonic 15.6v. Very good product.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
So what do you get with the higher Voltage? I assume a longer lasting battery life? The sixty dollars is saving looks appealing if you go from a 18v to a 12V Dewalt. Anything I am missing?

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Bruce,

I've never used a Makita. I got a Dewalt cordless drill (DW954 14.4V) around a year ago and I'll now never buy another NON-Dewalt power tool. I feel about my Dewalt the way folks 'round here feel about their SVS subs; can't imagine anything better.

Jon

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Dewalt is the brand to own in many peoples eyes. Most everyone that I know either has or wants Dewalt products. I've got a Ryobi cordless drill (gift) that I like a lot but if I had a choice I'd get the Dewalt.

Milwaukee is pretty good as well. I got a Milwaukee Tilt-lok circular saw for Christmas and at first glance it's very, very nice.

I've never been a big fan of Makita.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
So what do you get with the higher Voltage? I assume a longer lasting battery life?
The higher the voltage, the more torque (or twisting force) you will get. For most people, 12 or 14.4 is enough.

DeWalt and Panasonic are considered the elite brands in cordless tools, but I think you'd be fine with a Craftsman, Porter Cable, or Makita (and others).

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you everone. Just like Hometheater stuff, there is no real clear anwser what product to buy. In Canada, both drills I mention are the same price, $299.00, a lot for a drill, but I always try and buy the best. Keep your responces coming!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the price is the same then it's a no-brainer in my opinion. Dewalt.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Dewalt all the way!!!

I own a hardwood flooring company, and all of my powertools are Dewalt.

These things are just great IMO.

JohanK

Second Unit
Guys I work with use DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Panasonic and Makita cordless drills. I, personally, use a Bosch.

Ryobi and Craftsman is a tier below the others, IMO. Panasonic makes an excellent drill but it was a bit pricy the last time I checked. I group DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable and Makita together when it comes to drills.

Are you sure you need an 18V drill? A 14.4 is enough for just about anything and they are easier to handle.

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I would have do say DeWalt as well, simply because for the same price you are getting 18 volts instead of 14, and thus, a lot more power.
Trust me, you will want the power! :D
I have nothing against Makita, but I've always considered DeWalt a little tougher (more durable).
Happy Drilling!

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
In all my years of using various power tools, I'd have to give the edge to DeWalt. Both Makita and DeWalt make very good products but they're not perfect. In my experience I've found that Makita products are a bit more shock resistant then DeWalt. On the other hand I think DeWalt is more durable where it really counts, reliablity. I've had fewer DeWalt tools crap out on me than Makita. I would personally go with the DeWalt, if for no other reason than they have a better feel and fit than the Makitas.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Many thanks to Bruce Abar and to all those who have responded. This post is exactly why I love HTF and this board specifically.

This has been a question that's been on the back of my mind for the last couple of years. I've just always forgotten to post it here. Looks like there's a consensus on Dewalt. BTW, my boss told me that Dewalt is actually owned by Sears. They've branded this as a premium product to be sold outside of Sears. Probably to distinguish from their Craftsman brand. True?

Final question...I need a power tool, whether corded or cordless. I'd like something that is basically all-in-one. Is it unreasonable to expect this - in other words, will I sacrifice on ability by squeezing so many functions into one tool? If not, any recommendations on what Dewalt I should get?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Did you know Dewalt is the industrial tools division of Black & Decker?
I have several Dewalt tools, and they have all performed beautifully. My cordless drill (a lowly 9.6V model) has done everything I've asked of it in the last 6 years- I still have the original NiCds!! Installing bolts in concrete slabs, installing a trailer hitch to a car frame, and the usual driving screws for everything. I also have a portable sander, and a 12" compound mitre saw. Again, both excellent.
If you're not going to use the drill for contractor use, consider a lower voltage model- 12 or 14.4. For the casual user, there's really no need for all that torque (or money spent). Most retards just end up using that extra power to burn up drill bits and break screws.:)
Todd

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
As an old contruction worker friend of mine once told me when I asked him why he owned a Dewalt over a Makita, "This Dewalt will eat that Makita for breakfast."

I think that sums it up very well. Go with the Dewalt if your looking for power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks