Who is using an Universal Remote with their PVR?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Hovanic, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I have a Dish-network PVR. The remote is great for watching TV but not for my Home Theater Setup.

The PVR Remote is RF (nice since my gear is in a closet) and is laid out very nicely with all the PVR buttons arranged nicely.

Is anyone using an universal remote? And if so what one? How do you have it set up to deal with your PVR buttons? Anyone using the MX-500?

2. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I use a Pronto 1000. Works excellent with my TiVO and all of my equipment. I got my layout for the TiVO functionality from www.remotecentral.com. Great site!

Also, my equipment is in built in wood cabinets. Only the TV and VCR (perish the thought) are exposed when viewing. I use a Xantech IR extender. Small profile receiver that takes the IR to a little central unit off of which I have emitters that are string to the front of all of my equipment.

3. Art_Courville

MX500 with a Replay. 3 minute skip, quickskip (30 second) and instant replay (8 seconds) are the most used buttons. Replay guide and select are probably next.

4. Art Morales

Art Morales Agent

I'm using a MX-500 with my Dish Network 508. The PVR button is programed on the screen since it can't control every thing I keep it in the back room when I'm on the computer. If you need rf you'll have to do what Jeff does or find a universal remote with rf. Or do what I do and open your cabinet[​IMG]

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I use my Pronto 3000 with no problem. My only complaint is that no one has implemented a keyboard like I had for replay, which allowed me to type in the letters directly instead of moving around the alphabet grid.

6. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

I use the mx500 with it and only programmed in a small number of the buttons, mostly because there's not a lot of them really used. The bulk of the tivo controller really is just a regular cable controller, so just changing it to deal with channels, guide and home plus forward/reverse stuff. I didn't bother with the thumbs up/down tho [​IMG]

7. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

I use a Sony RM-AV3000 to control my Replay unit as well as everything else in my entertainment center. Took a while to program but in the end it may be the best $200 I ever spent.