What's new

Who here doesn't watch on "home theaters"? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Right now, I'm watching on a "standard" set-up but I'm still building my DVD library with the intentions of upgrading once I move out of my current apartment, to a vastly superior and elaborate home theatre system which will allow me the oppurtunity to fully appreciate the capacity and extent of films in my collection. If given the option of DTS, or anamorphic upgrade, etc. I'm always on it! I might not be able to notice much of a difference right now... but I'm looking toward the future!

:)

(I've never told anyone this... but every night while lying in bed, I dream of winning the Super 7 and moving into a huge ass mansion and designing the ultimate theatre setup! It helps me sleep.)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
If I won the Super-7 I guarantee that the swank HT would become a second priority after the 'Hot Chicks Room'.

Other rooms I'd put in my Lottery funded mansion:

*Mad Science lab/ operating room. You never know when you might have to preform emergency surgery on werewolves or something.

*Dungeon (The non-sexual kind). Then I'd stock it with skeletons I'd buy on Ebay.

*Dungeon (the other kind)

*Poison creature room. A large, climate controlled room for keeping thousands of species of scorpions, spider, snakes, and whatnot.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I have 871 DVDs (according to DVD Profiler), an HDTV and a 5.1 surround system and I'm a single-income guy who never made more than $10.50/hour and has spent a lot of time unemployed. My secret is other than putting gas in my car, buying food and paying rent and utilities, home-theater is the only expense I have. (Well, I occasionally buy clothes or get my car repaired). It' all about priorities.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

I wouldnt do that. Cause I bet 90% of those dvd's in there I wouldnt want. I have a little over a hundred. and out of all those there are only a handful that I feel are "worth" owning. I dont think I even like 200 movies. I dont want to own dvd's just for the sake of owning them. I hardly watch the dvd's I own and love. I wont buy a crappy movie just cause its good visually. I refuse to support the creation of more bad movies.

Note: if Gigli is in that 1300, I rest my case.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Home: A place where one lives; a residence.

Theater: A building, room, or outdoor structure for the presentation of plays, films, or other dramatic performances.

:)

I know next to nothing about Edge Enhancement, Haloes or Pixellated Grain Residual Bleach Matrices. But I do know that I've been a regular at HTF for a few years now, and I've never felt like I was 'inadequate' because I don't have a high-end system. (I just stay out of the Hardware Forum!)

I have a good working knowledge of films and filmmakers, but when it comes to technical jargon or elaborate electronics...Scott moron. So logically I avoid participating in conversations where my knowledge of the topic is limited to...absolute nil.

If you have a set-up that allows you to watch movies the way you prefer them, then you have a Home Theater. It may be a small and/or relatively inexpensive one, but there's certainly nothing wrong with that. A table, a fridge and a toaster oven is still called a kitchen.

Now can someone please explain these annoying "black bars" to me? I pay 20 bucks for a movie, I want the thing to fill my whole freakin' screen!

Rocky F

Second Unit
Add me to the list of people with "inadequate" equipment. I have a 10 yr old 25" Sanyo that just won't die, an Apex DVD player that was really cheap at $100 3 1/2 years ago (they are connected by an RF modulator) and a $300 Kenwood HTIB. Wow, I feel like I'm joining Cheapskates Anonymous. Anyway, I've been a member here for several years, and yeah, early on, I felt a little intimidated, but I've never felt out of place. I know that at some point in the future, I will be able to upgrade, and places like this and AVS help me research, so that when the time comes, I will be able to make the best possible purchase on my budget.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, that would be for non-OAR releases.
Also agree, to me, J6P was for 'someone' whom did not take into account the director's intent.
I've had, & sell, two channel HT systems.
Sometimes, people only has the space or funds, for two channel. I'd be shocked to find those 'stereo' HT folks 'put down' here at HTF.
Maybe we should start a "NEWBIE" forum, here?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, that would be for non-OAR releases.
Also agree, to me, J6P was for 'someone' whom did not take into account the director's intent.
I've had, & sell, two channel HT systems.
Sometimes, people only has the space or funds, for two channel. I'd be shocked to find those 'stereo' HT folks 'put down' here at HTF.
Maybe we should start a "NEWBIE" forum, here?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

We have one, it's called "Home Theater Basics" and I've never seen someone who asks legitmate questions denigrated or made to feel inadequate for not having a full HT or not being up with the latest and greatest. IMHO, anyone feeling inadequacies like these on this forum should look inward, not outward for the source. This is a place that will answer the same "Why can't I get DTS to work on my system?" or "Why are there still black bars on my TV?" questions 3-4 times a month and stick with each poster, even looking up manuals online, until they get it to work. These are not the actions of a bunch of "elitists" bent on intimidating the less fortunate. Sure the HTF tends to get overly analytical (to some) when it comes to cables, edge-enhancement, DTS vs. DD wars, etc., but no one forces anyone to read these threads. I personally find them fascinating (if not very helpfull) and tend to read them just to see how far someone's obsession with the hobby will go. But feel intimidated by them??? No way, I'm much more secure than that.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

We have one, it's called "Home Theater Basics" and I've never seen someone who asks legitmate questions denigrated or made to feel inadequate for not having a full HT or not being up with the latest and greatest. IMHO, anyone feeling inadequacies like these on this forum should look inward, not outward for the source. This is a place that will answer the same "Why can't I get DTS to work on my system?" or "Why are there still black bars on my TV?" questions 3-4 times a month and stick with each poster, even looking up manuals online, until they get it to work. These are not the actions of a bunch of "elitists" bent on intimidating the less fortunate. Sure the HTF tends to get overly analytical (to some) when it comes to cables, edge-enhancement, DTS vs. DD wars, etc., but no one forces anyone to read these threads. I personally find them fascinating (if not very helpfull) and tend to read them just to see how far someone's obsession with the hobby will go. But feel intimidated by them??? No way, I'm much more secure than that.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

you don't need to spend $10,000.
not even close.

my first 'higher end' system was comprised of a DLP projector that was discounted to $1800 (new) along with a $400 HTIB.
i made my own screen for about $40.
i've since upgraded my system, but let me tell you- i had a blast with the first set-up.

these days you can pick up a DLP pj for $999 and i'm sure you can find a decent HTIB for around $300.
it won't be as good as $10000 system, but size does matter-especially when you are watching a 2.35 AR film.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

you don't need to spend $10,000.
not even close.

my first 'higher end' system was comprised of a DLP projector that was discounted to $1800 (new) along with a $400 HTIB.
i made my own screen for about $40.
i've since upgraded my system, but let me tell you- i had a blast with the first set-up.

these days you can pick up a DLP pj for $999 and i'm sure you can find a decent HTIB for around $300.
it won't be as good as $10000 system, but size does matter-especially when you are watching a 2.35 AR film.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Yeah, I agree, my HT isnt super expensive, but its intermediate, but its cause every so often I upgrade parts of it.

HT is like a car. sometimes you have to mount & Balance new tires to keep it running smoothly, other times you just have to trade up.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Yeah, I agree, my HT isnt super expensive, but its intermediate, but its cause every so often I upgrade parts of it.

HT is like a car. sometimes you have to mount & Balance new tires to keep it running smoothly, other times you just have to trade up.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have a 34” & 30”, direct view TVs as my displays. Both are pretty small according to most posts in the hardware sections here. My audio system is good, but certainly not up to audiophile standards (or even close). Many of the people here would think my receiver both substandard and underpowered and my DVD player is a discontinued model.

And I own very few DVDs compared to many collections here.

But I have made a reasonable number of posts.

I participate in a fair number of discussion on movies in both ‘movies’ and ‘polls’ and I can factually state that those participating in these discussions don’t usually know or care what size display anyone saw a movie on—we just care how well-developed the argument is as to the opinion on the movie.

For example, other than an occasional post as to a large display being essential to really feel the impact of a scene from a movie like Lawrence of Arabia and why it is best seen in 70mm in a theater, I don’t recall many posts at all as to ‘size’ or sophistication of displays.

BTW, when I began posting on this forum, I was watching movies on a small, analog, Pal set, using the TV speakers and did not even own a DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks