What's new

Who has the S&V cal disc, and is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been using VE for plenty of years, but it lacks a sub frequency sweep and the sound portion is not very informative (way too basic). I haven't broken down and bought Avia because it is around $50 locally. I was at the all-in-one (Fry's) the other day and they had S&V for $15. If it has most of what Avia does, then I might pick one up.

Juan M

Stunt Coordinator
I have this disk and used it to tune my Sony Wega. I'm new to HT and don't have any audio equipment (yet) but I found this to be a very informative DVD. Supposedly it has most of the testing patterns from Avia and new audio tests (6.1) that Avia doesn't have. You can check this thread from over on Sound & Vision forums for more details.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/cgi...c&f=3&t=000560
I think it was $15 well spent...got mine at Fry's, too.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
It does have most of what Avia does. It has seperate test tones for DD and DTS including EX, ES matrix, and ES discrete. It's worth $15 easily.

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
I also own it, and it's fantastic! Easy to use, and well included. The bonus demonstration features are worth the price alone.

Troy

Greg Br

Second Unit
Having the extras such as all the thx, dolby demos is nice.

I am confused as it says to calibrate using a radio shack meter then set it to 70db's and make sure the needle reads to the right of zero. It makes no mention of reference and I believe to reach reference you need to go to 85db's. does anyone else have an opinion with this.

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
The THX intro included on this disc is the same one used in the Phantom Menace, and this has some of the most serious bass ever recorded per the report on SVS website. It shakes my house big-time.

I played TS2 again today after calibrating at reference and I nearly scared myself to death. I put at 7 under reference and walked upstairs to see if I was damaging anything, and the whole house was shaking during that intro. I better take it easy. I can't imagine what reference was doing to my floors and walls.

BTW, no distortion with my 20-39 CS+ and Kenwood amp at these levels!!!! YIPPIE!

Troy

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
I think it's a pretty good disc. The sound tests are better than THX Optimode and the subwoofer test is separate from the 5 channel test, which is much better. The extras are good, but i find you really have to crank them.
I haven't used the video tests yet.

Greg Br

Second Unit
the thx into is definatley recorded a little cold(i guess that would be the opposite of hot). I was reference +5db's and my dual 20-39's had room for more.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like I'll have to pick one up just for the heck of it. I hadn't thought about having 6.1 tones, because I'm not using my rear center and eventually I will.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They probably all have it, but I saw it at the one on Lawrence Expwy. in Sunnyvale (whatever Scott turns into on the other side of Lawrence). It was in it's own little display unit too. For $15, I guess I'll give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks