What's new

Who can recommend Britain's 'The League of Gentlemen' to me? (1 Viewer)

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I've been eyeing this series for a while now. I love all things British humor, but wanted to get some feedback from others who have seen it. Any similarites to any other British comedy series such as Monty Python, Father Ted, Are You Being Served, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, etc.?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I hated it! I watched about 3 episodes and I didn't even break a smile. Very disappointed with it. It is very popular though, and I'm sure there are members that know and love it. Of the shoes you mentioned, here's how I feel:
Monty Python :emoji_thumbsup:
Father Ted :thumbsdown: Never could get into it.
Are You Being Served, Never seen it.
Black Adder :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: Series 1-3 are unbelievably great.
Fawlty Towers :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: Love it all.
Other British comedy I would recommend (and not):
The Office:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: Absolute genius.
I'm Alan Partridge:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: Steve Coogan at his very best.
The Fast Show:thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Not funny.

Kevin Harper

Agent
I can absolutely recommend The League of Gentlemen but may not be something that appeals to everyone! It has a cult following in the UK but I'm not sure how the humour would translate abroad as a lot of it is very British. A lot of the situations/characters are drawn from and/or parodies of British horror films of the 60's/70's and I imagine a lot of the dialogue may need translating as was the case with TRAINSPOTTING as the colloquialisms will not travel well.
I think series 1 & 2 are hilariously funny. Series three was a different approach and did away with a laugh track and is a lot darker. Their Xmas special is inspired and the best thing they ever did (and they agree). I saw the live show which was the funniest thing I've ever seen in a theatre. My face ached from laughing and my backside from sitting (it was a long show - unusual for comedy)!
I suppose the best way to describe TLOG is a cross between Monty Python and Hammer Horror but that really comes nowhere near as the guys are unique in their own way and push the boundaries of what is comedy in many cases.
Hope this helps!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
TLOG is one of my all-time favorite British shows. The humor is dark, yes, but wildly imaginative and highly intelligent. Absolutely worth every penny. I just wish they'd release Season 2 in the US. :frowning: I only have a VHS copy off of BBC America. They've never shown the Christmas Special or Season 3.

Kevin Harper

Agent
Yes, I agree that the DVD's are worth every penny. The commentaries are among the very best I've listened to. Very informative, funny and a great insight into where they reference material from and why. There are a number of deleted scenes and some interesing SFX shots. The Xmas special has a brilliant spoof version of "Jackanory" (Which was a kids TV programme where a minor celebrity read extracts from a famous book) in which one of the characters reads the story of Karrit Poor from the Xmas special only it is spiced up a bit with foul language and other little extras...:D Although the special is only 50 minutes long this is added to with a full commentary, documentary and a very long radio interview with the team.
Once you've seen the series the words "LOCAL SHOP" will never mean the same again.....

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
What's with all this shouting! This is a Local Shop for Local People! We'll have no trouble here!

Kevin Harper

Agent
:emoji_thumbsup:
"We didn't burn him!"
I take back what I said about the language not travelling well - I guess it works alright for at least one American!

DannyS

Second Unit
Buy all the DVD's you can of this NOW!!!!!! I ave all ofthem, I saw them Live, and YES. They are all Geniuses.
Check out their original Radio show "On The Town With The League Of Gentlemen" from BBC CD. It is divine. Hats off to the four of them. Oh, and Roy Chubby Brown as well for giving them his name for the town.....

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I think I'll end up picking the first boxset up and see how it goes. I'm always up for something offbeat and/or challenging, and it certainly sound like this is. Thanks for the recommendations.
And if I hate it I can always blame you guys. ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I watched this while living in Australia. Both my wife and I find it extremely funny—I even have a ‘League of Gentleman’ T-shirt with a ‘Are You Local?’ query.
However I am not surprised if anybody with otherwise excellent taste (I mean you Paul) does not only not find it funny, but in fact hates it.
I agree with Kevin, in that the language and some of the concepts may not translate to the American. But this is a work of genius.
But be forewarned: ‘You’ll never leave’.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks