What's new

White Noise Problem with Onkyo TX-SR601 (2 Viewers)

I need advice. I just upgraded from an entry level HT system. My new system has a Onkyo 601 receiver and the speakers are Polk RTi70s (L/R front), CSi40 (center), RTi38 (L/R back), and Velodyne 12 subwoofer. When I am playing music with the volume up around 70 (a fairly normal listening volume) I hear a lot of white noise during silences during the play of a song. This seem to be true for various sources (my CD/DVD player as well as my Mac playing AAC files via a digital or analog input) -- so I don't think it's a source problem. There is much less white noise with a couple of my remastered CD's (for example, Meat Loaf's remastered "Bat Out of Hell" CD), but mostly it affects all of my music. I've wired with 12 gauge wire, so I don't think it's the wires. When I turn off the source but keep the receiver tuned to that source, the white noise can't be reproduced until the volume is up around 90 or so. What should I do. Is the receiver faulty? Should I try for a different receiver with more power? Is this something that is normal? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This would have nothing to do with speaker wires or power output. If it’s doing it with multiple sources, both analog and digital, I’d say the receiver is defective.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Is it the same with all the speakers or are you getting more out of some than you are with others? Have you calibrated the sound?

I did calibrate the system with the Avia DVD. I'm pretty inexperienced with this, and I found calibration in some spots required a more refined ear (or sound meter) than I had. However, I do think it's 95% calibrated. The white noise is more pronounced in the front speakers using most output methods, but when I equalize the output to all speakers the white noise seems to affect all speakers equally. I've ordered a replacement receiver that should arrive on Saturday. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the new receiver fixes the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks