What's new

White Collar Blues - The "Office Movies" tournament (1 Viewer)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
No cops.
No mobsters.
No doctors.
No lawyers.
No teachers.
No artists.
No hobbits.
No wookiees.
Just office schmoes like me.
1) The main character(s) has to have a job which involves working in an office, sitting behind a desk doing something uncreative, of mostly insignificant and intangible benefit to the world.
2) The job has to figure somewhat prominently in the movie. If not at the center of the story, it has to at least provide some kind of context or motivation.
3) I reserve the right to veto any movie for any reason. It's my tourney, damnit.
The Nominees Are:
After Hours
The Apartment
Ikiru
Office Space
Given the pink slip:
13 Conversations About One Thing
9 to 5
American Beauty
Brazil
Christmas in July
Clockwatchers
Falling Down
Fight Club
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
In the Company of Men
Read My Lips
Working Girl

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Chuck—I read (and agree with) your rules. Before I get started give me a feel for Network. If that is OK, consider it nominated.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Nope, no Network. I LOVE the movie, but it just doesn't quite fit. They're too passionate about their work, and it's too creative.

Sorry, but I've got a vision here.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Right you are Chuck. Nothing about which to be sorry. Given the direction in a couple of other tourneys, I’ll happy to have a vision closely followed. :)
That’s why I asked—in order to get your feel for where routine left off and creativity began.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I'll second The Apartment.
I'll nominate:
After Hours
Brazil
Fight Club
If you want to reject any of those (although I think the office job is at the very least an important source of character motivation in each), substitute Clockwatchers, which is doubtless the type of movie you have in mind.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Brazil, GREAT choice! Can't believe I didn't think of it.

Fight Club was one I thought about too. Consider it in.

As for After Hours, it's been too long since I've seen it. Refresh my memory, please.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This probably won’t go anywhere (I think that it will be too obscure) but;
Nominate:
Woman of Tokyo a film that came after Ozu’s famous I was born, but…. I was going to nominate this film, but after re-reading your vision, the main characters in this are the sons, not the office worker father.
In my nominated film, the protaginist not only works as a typist (in an office), but also at night for a teacher (again in a menial job—this one as a translator).
I don’t expect a second (unless perhaps Brook shows up), but I’m pretty sure that this fits the bill.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
After Hours is a Martin Scorsese movie starring Griffin Dunne as a mild mannered office worker. Most of the movie takes place after work one night, hence the title. You can read Roger Ebert's review here.
Although there isn't all that much screen time devoted to his workplace, the movie does begin and end at his office. Also, the character is kind of defined by his job. He's a regular office schmo.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Elizabeth's noms, so I'll leave it up to you guys. The iMDB plot summaries for the first two sound okay, but I'm not certain about 13 Conversations.

I'm still unsure about After Hours, but I'll allow it unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My take on ’13 Conversations’ would be that while the characters consider the futility of their lives, they are not necessarily (or even mostly) office workers. While it is not at all clear which characters in this movie fit the definition of ‘main’, if I take the lead to be Troy per being listed first in IMdB, then his job as an attorney would disqualify this film. On the other hand, Gene, who might also be the lead character is an office worker. As is his obsession.
On the other hand (in this movie it is not at all clear how many hands one needs), the other characters are not office workers.
On the other hand, they all lead lives of futility.
On the other hand…
I’d disqualify this film, because I don’t think that it fits the intent of your criteria; but if it is included it is so brilliant that I’ll probably vote for it in a good many matches.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Nominate:
Clockwatchers (this deserves to get to at least the semi-final)
Gattaca (qualify?)
Christmas In July

Would "reporter" movies such as The Front Page, All the President's Men and His Girl Friday qualify?

Second:

13 Conversations About One Thing
Office Space
Working Girl

I'm not quite sure about After Hours, since his job is only shown briefly and has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. I don't see American Beauty being a good candidate either. After all, he's fired at the very beginning, and then only works briefly as a fast food jockey. Where's the office?

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Lew convinced me, 13 Convos is out.

I don't see American Beauty being a good candidate either. After all, he's fired at the very beginning, and then only works briefly as a fast food jockey. Where's the office?
I included American Beauty (after some internal debate) based on the fact that it's rebelling against his job that sets Lester off on his new life. The lack of anything fulfilling or interesting in his job is what motivates him. IMHO, of course. I am open to discussion on the subject!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks