What's new

While we're on the topic of spouses and HT... (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
One of the reasons I love my wife is that she likes to turn the lights down and curl up on the couch and listen to music with me and a bottle of wine.
I must admit, reading all the posts in the "HT wife of the year" and "Not HT wife of the year" threads, it's been quite an eye-opener to see how many people measure their satisfaction levels in terms of what equipment they own, or are allowed to spend money on. Does anyone just listen to music/watch movies any more? :)
[Edited last by Saurav on August 22, 2001 at 12:04 AM]

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I check HTF numerous times a day, constantly think of what's next on my upgrade list, and plan my next DVD purchase.
And you know what? I haven't made time to watch a movie for almost 2 weeks. How sad is that?
I do listen to music all the time though.
I haven't participated in the recent wife threads because I just don't know where my wife fits in. On one hand she gets annoyed with my obsession and complains about the money. On the other hand she said the following to me after we saw Pearl Harbor: "Wow! Now I know what you're talking about with the subwoofers. I could feel the plane engines when they flew by. You really need to get that subwoofer that you've been obsessing about".
Go figure!
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

J

John Morris

That is a great point! After all, the music and movies is what it IS all about...
Sometimes though, the hardware is what makes us re-examine that media that we loved all along...
When I got my new SVS Ultra subwoofer, I just had to re-watch, re-listen to alot of my shelved titles. Recently, I resurected my headphones and will start to enjoy my album, CD, DVD, collection all over again!!!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Jim: I've had the same problem: days and days of HTF, and even going out to see new hardware, but never enough time to just sit and watch a movie.
I recommend a HT "Fast" - No Computer, TV, electronics for a few days. (Sat - Tuesday is a good choice). On Tuesday, go rent a new release. You will be suprised at how much you enjoy your system by taking a break from electronics discussion/obsession.
Saurav: I'm afraid my wife has to be dragged into the living room. And she would not sit still just to listen to music. Too much "Catholic Guilt" to simply sit and enjoy the moments I'm afraid.
The one thing she does like is the PVR units. (There are some shows we watch regularly). She now waits about 10 minutes into the hour then we sit down and watch the show using the remote to skip commercials. She actually tells co-workers about the ability to pause/rewind/schedule TV viewing.
(Note: a few years ago she was doing LOTS of traveling for her job, leaving me home for days/weeks to deal with our 3 daughters. One week she came back, and we had a Sega Genesis system. Next time, a new VCR, then a second AV receiver, then some small speakers, a DishPlayer,... Eventually, I ran out of things to buy. "Catholic Guilt" is not always a bad thing... :) )

Nick P

Second Unit
I think we all should take more time to enjoy our systems. My wife, kids, and myself watch a movie together every Friday night. It's a nice way to cap off the week. We call it "movie night" and each of us takes a turn picking out the title. We make a big bowl of popcorn and enjoy ourselves.
------------------

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
We used to have Movie Night every Friday. Take out and the latest release.
Then my son was born....
We haven't had Movie Night for 22 months now because my wife is too tired after putting the boy to bed.
I'm told that someday you get your life back. I don't believe it
laugh.gif

Of course, I'd do it all over again. Being a dad is great. I can't wait until he gets old enough to watch movies with us that aren't 101 Dalmations.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Nick P

Second Unit
Jim, hang in there! You're over the hump at 22 months I think. When your son gets to be 3 or so he will really be into movies like Star Wars and such. For now enjoy titles like Toy Story 2, Iron Giant, and Antz.
------------------

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
Jim, get a relative to take the baby for a day - the whole day, then have a nice dinner and watch a movie afterward. If you haven't had time for a movie in 22 months, it sounds like you could use a night off! :) Of course, what do I know, I'm a 24 year old bachelor with no right posting on a topic about wives
wink.gif

BTW, nice to see someone else from Framingham. I just started on this forum today, but I've been into home theater for a while now. In fact, I just bought a CRT projector from Home Theater Systems on rt 9. Sometimes being unmarried without financial obligations can be nice :)
-Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks