What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Everyone please continue discussing the film...but let's please remain aware of our HTF rule about name-calling. Agree to disagree. Thanks.

Conduct
10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
, I can't be the only one to think endless negative posting about it without having seen the movie is ludicrous, right?
Of course it’s ludicrous. Unfortunately it happens around here far too frequently. Is it too much to ask to see the film before bashing it??

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Of course it’s ludicrous. Unfortunately it happens around here far too frequently. Is it too much to ask to see the film before bashing it??
I wish people would stop complaining about what others post here. If their postings bothers you that much then simply place them on "ignore" and be done with it. Lets move on, please!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I bet Stephen Spielberg longs for the good old days when movies weren't judged on their success, based on whether they had a colossal opening weekend spread out across 5000 cinemas. 50 years ago, when The Godfather opened, people in New York had to wait patiently in line outside the five cinemas which were showing it. Now nothing has any chance of slow building and word-of-mouth. It's opening weekend blockbuster or fiasco.

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
I bet Stephen Spielberg longs for the good old days when movies weren't judged on their success, based on whether they had a colossal opening weekend spread out across 5000 cinemas. 50 years ago, when The Godfather opened, people in New York had to wait patiently in line outside the five cinemas which were showing it. Now nothing has any chance of slow building and word-of-mouth. It's opening weekend blockbuster or fiasco.
Reinforcing comments made in this discussion many pages ago. (Sorry that I couldn't track down the actual comments.) At that point, it was noted that the original "West Side Story" opened in only ONE NYC theater (the Rivoli) - which was typical of "roadshow" presentations of the time. For what it's worth, Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" had a lot to do with the blockbuster release pattern of most movies these days.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I might have been one of the people to make that comment about the Rivoli. So its international gross for its first week was about $50,000.

And yes it was Spielberg who changed the marketing and distribution to what it has grown into today. So he should not be one to complain. I believe Close Encounters opened solely at the Ziegfeld for one week in the tri-state area which was done by Columbia. He was not happy.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I might have been one of the people to make that comment about the Rivoli. So its international gross for its first week was about $50,000.

And yes it was Spielberg who changed the marketing and distribution to what it has grown into today. So he should not be one to complain. I believe Close Encounters opened solely at the Ziegfeld for one week in the tri-state area which was done by Columbia. He was not happy.
I saw it at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, but I don't recall the exact date, compared to the New York opening. Someone here must know that information though.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Dude, you just can't stop yourself can you? ("suggest both equals...pretty foolish," "padded rewritten mess," "ITH...a better film in every category when compared to WSS.") Good lord above, we understand you thought the 2021 version was a steaming pile of dog feces. However, a bunch of us on this site/thread disagree, feeling it was a terrific film by a master filmmaker who, I fear, we'll all someday realize we took for granted. No one's opinion is more relevant than anyone else's. Because it's an opinion. About art. Which we all process differently due to race, creed, socioeconomics, education, etc. With that in mind please, pretty please, stop trying to tell us why the new film sucks. Cause you're just pissing into the wind. It ain't gonna land. You have your opinion, we have ours. I sear, this never-ending WSS remake debate reminds me of going to Licorice Pizza (a movie I enjoyed quite a bit but knew wouldn't be for everyone because I know enough about PTA movies to know such a thing) last weekend with another couple. Alas, the male half of the couple was one of those "not for everyone" guys. Who then proceeded to spent the entirety of our post-movie dinner explaining why he thought it was crap (his right) but then excoriating me for enjoying it (certainly not his right). WTF.
Dare I say you're the smartest one in the room. BRA-VO!!

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi

We weren't able to see The Godfather in NYC when we went; the line was so long. We drove to Connecticut and saw it in a cinema there.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Very classy. It should have been. Those Columbia gatefolds of the period were wonderful.
Thank you!

Yes, those Columbia gatefolds were wonderful. I was 10 when I first saw West Side Story in 1978 and I wanted the soundtrack, so I borrowed it from my local library - it was in a gatefold cover that contained a synopsis of the plot, making of the film, and several black and white stills.

Imagine my surprise when I went to purchase it at a record store only to find that by then Columbia had re-issued it in a non-gatefold sleeve.

Well, I was having none of that, so I scoured the city's used record stores to find an original 1961 issued copy with the gatefold sleeve which I happily found and purchased. I still have that copy.

wss gatefold.jpg

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
We weren't able to see The Godfather in NYC when we went; the line was so long. We drove to Connecticut and saw it in a cinema there.
I remember the very, very, veeeeerrrry long lines for "The Exorcist". I believe it was only playing in one theater in NYC, the Cinema I on the Upper East Side. Back then films didn't open in 2,000+ theaters right off the bat.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And yes it was Spielberg who changed the marketing and distribution to what it has grown into today. So he should not be one to complain.
As a relatively new director in 1975, I don't think Spielberg had anything to do with the marketing or distribution of Jaws. That would have been up to Sid Sheinberg and Universal Pictures. I'm not sure any director has very much direct influence over the marketing and distribution of any picture.

And I could be mistaken, but I don't think I've heard Spielberg complaining about the release strategy for WSS.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wish people would stop complaining about what others post here. If their postings bothers you that much then simply place them on "ignore" and be done with it. Lets move on, please!
For the record I wasn’t complaining. I was merely agreeing with Travis on principle.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
But I do find it revealing that you were upset that the Spanish language wasn't subtitled. Such an admission reveals that you either don't get the message of the film or that decision by Spielberg is what really has upset you and made you dismiss this film. (Many who make this similar comment childishly call the film "Woke Side Story.") To subtitle the film would continue to treat the Puerto Rican culture as secondary. (Just listen to the lyrics of "America" to get this not-to-subtle point.). At no point was I confused by the character's intention, whether they were speaking Spanish or English. If you don't know what is being said, then you were not paying attention.
Nothing revealing and no confusion here as to the extent of what generically was being said cause it was simplistically filmed and used following moments of duress, joy, etc. However these weren’t simple phrases like George Chakiris as Bernardo saying “Vamonos muchachos!” But entire stretches of dialogue. And yes I really don’t know what is actually being said ‘cause I don’t speak Spanish nor does the majority of America. It’s not even a close call. And no amount of paying attention is going somehow magically translate for me the dialogue spoken. And for Rachel Ziegler to say “It’s 2021-Learn Spanish!” is insulting. It’s laughable that subtitling a language is now considered degrading a culture. That’s beyond woke.

Last edited:

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Nothing revealing and no confusion here as to the extent of what generically was being said cause it was simplistically filmed and used following moments of duress, joy, etc. However these weren’t simple phrases like George Chakiris as Bernardo saying “Vamonos muchachos!” But entire stretches of dialogue. And yes I really don’t know what is actually being said ‘cause I don’t speak Spanish nor does the majority of America. It’s not even a close call. And no amount of paying attention is going somehow magically translate for me the dialogue spoken. And for Rachel Ziegler to say “It’s 2021-Learn Spanish!” is insulting. It’s laughable that subtitling a language is now considered degrading a culture. That’s beyond woke.
Even though you didn't leave a link to that quote from her I won't doubt you except to say that if she even said it at all, it was to people like you who are incessantly whining about something that shouldn't be such a big deal. In other words, I'll say it. If it bothers you that much, learn Spanish. Otherwise, go to some political site and whine and cry and boohoo. God knows there's plenty of them.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
For me, comparing the two is a fool's errand. The original is a classic and shall always remain so. Spielberg didn't repeat it, he took the broadway musical and made it fresh, alive, and relevant again. There are definitely hints of Robbin's amazing choreography sprinkled throughout, but this film stands on its own two feet. I thought it was brilliant, invigorating, joyous, and a testament to Spielberg's unparalleled skills as a filmmaker. The only regret I have is that it took him this long to finally do a musical.

For years I have been lamenting how recent musical being hailed as "brilliant" never measured up to what I recall a musical truly being (specifically, "La La Land". Two actors who couldn't sing or dance). This version of WSS restored my faith that a great musical is no longer a mirage or a relic of the past. The exhilarating dance moves, powerful melodic music, precise camera choreography, and note perfect editing were in full force here and working in perfect unison. I have seen it twice and the second viewing was just as remarkable as the first. I cannot praise or recommend this movie enough.
"SOMEWHERE"
iYJrUyTQ-e1537804188784.jpeg
on stage

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks