What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
A fully 4k post-production workflow is significantly more expensive than 2k. More importantly, it's also much more time-consuming. These big Marvel tentpoles have tight release schedules of three per year, and the only way the many VFX vendors can hit their deliverables on time is to do their work at 2k.
That and the fact that the average filmgoer isn't going to notice a difference - 2K holds up pretty well even on an IMAX screen.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
A fully 4k post-production workflow is significantly more expensive than 2k. More importantly, it's also much more time-consuming. These big Marvel tentpoles have tight release schedules of three per year, and the only way the many VFX vendors can hit their deliverables on time is to do their work at 2k.
Makes sense. I do wonder why Black Panther was done 4K and the only one. But it does make sense especially for making the release dates.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Makes sense. I do wonder why Black Panther was done 4K and the only one. But it does make sense especially for making the release dates.

We can be VERY grateful for the occasional title like Black Panther as obviously not too many people care that much about 4k DCP's on either the viewer or the studio side.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Couldn't say. Whatever time and money was wasted on 4k certainly could have been put to better use fixing the lousy CGI and the terrible green-screen in that movie. The only Marvel movie with end-to-end 4k is the fakiest looking one of the whole bunch.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Couldn't say. Whatever time and money was wasted on 4k certainly could have been put to better use fixing the lousy CGI and the terrible green-screen in that movie. The only Marvel movie with end-to-end 4k is the fakiest looking one of the whole bunch.
Very true.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That is the effect of the Vibranium ;) ...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

There is more variation in quality in Black Panther and I would think this is one of the reasons that 4k is rarely used with CGI heavy movies - the difference between real 4k and less than perfect CGI gets more obvious than in cases where everything gets taken down to 2k. That being said state of the art 2k CGI can certainly look better than for example that fight on the rails in Black Panther.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
There is more variation in quality in Black Panther and I would think this is one of the reasons that 4k is rarely used with CGI heavy movies - the difference between real 4k and less than perfect CGI gets more obvious than in cases where everything gets taken down to 2k. That being said state of the art 2k CGI can certainly look better than for example that fight on the rails in Black Panther.

Honestly, the real problem with Black Panther is that, despite spending $200 million on it, they couldn't be bothered to shoot a single second of footage outside of a soundstage. All those outdoor scenes in green-screened "Africa" were embarrassing.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, the real problem with Black Panther is that, despite spending $200 million on it, they couldn't be bothered to shoot a single second of footage outside of a soundstage. All those outdoor scenes in green-screened "Africa" were embarrassing.

It is a bit hard for me to follow your line of argument here as there were location shots in North America, South America, Africa and Asia.

I will leave it at that as even though Black Panther is not a perfect film I am still happy that it has been done in 4k, showing that 4k is possible even with a CGI-heavy superhero movie.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Donald Sutherland talks about Nicolas Roeg´s work on Lawrence:

"Look at Omar Sharif on a camel, coming from the other end of the desert towards the camera. That’s Nic. Look at the Sahara’s empty foreground, and suddenly the smokestacks of a steamer crossing from left to right along the unseen Suez canal. That’s Nic."

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-nicolas-roeg-remembered-by-donald-sutherland

Would you like to comment further on the above quote, Mr. Harris?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Donald Sutherland talks about Nicolas Roeg´s work on Lawrence:

"Look at Omar Sharif on a camel, coming from the other end of the desert towards the camera. That’s Nic. Look at the Sahara’s empty foreground, and suddenly the smokestacks of a steamer crossing from left to right along the unseen Suez canal. That’s Nic."

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-nicolas-roeg-remembered-by-donald-sutherland

Would you like to comment further on the above quote, Mr. Harris?

Not comfortably. I would presume these would have been considered second unit shots, but I’d not go there without consulting the camera reports. I do know that Freddie selected the mirage lens at Panavision. Heavy bugger...

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Remember the new 70mm/Datasat print is a 4K digital out , I do not think it looks as good as the 1989 version but the 5.1 audio
is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks