What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (5 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I can't wait to check Life with Father on HBO Max. I was lucky that I got to see a 35mm nitrate Technicolor print at MoMA. A WA restoration will probably beat that!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This story was forwarded to me. It's from a gentleman film collector in Australia, Paul Brennan:

Lucky polite me was in my seaside cinema in 1978 screening a 'new 16mm print' of NOW VOYAGER when a man came gasping from the auditorium into the foyer. "Where'd you get that print" he demanded. I old him it was from a 1940s US service lot in Guam left over from WW2 which was sent 1950s to NZ TV and then in 1977 onto Sydney for use or junking, Hence my hiring and screening. "That was NEVER shown anywhere" he yelled. "I am Casey Robinson and I wrote the screenplay in 1940 for this adaptation, and you have an unreleased pre edit studio screener" I told him it was 4 reels on 16mm far longer than any previous print we ever screened: "It was NEVER seen" he yelled. Casey had emigrated to Oz in the late 70s and died here. One of his final gratitudes to me was to write the famous Walt Whitman / Olive Higgins Prouty book quote, in his own handwriting, which is seen here below. He died in 1980, In Australia, but was astonished he saw the never seen 140 minute not-released version (with all the flashbacks) in quiet Australia one week night in my lovely theatre. The 16mm print was stolen in 1996 by a rude enthusiast.

This is reminiscent of the preview version of The Big Sleep that only played overseas for servicemen. Imagine if this version were found in the Warner vaults!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
There is no doubt in my mind that "Life with Father" and "Sunrise at Campobello" are coming out on Blu-ray before 2021. WA didn't do that work on those two classic movies to just stream them.
I never meant to imply that they weren't coming. I would be very surprised if they weren't. All I was saying was that it sounds like HBO Max got at least 4 films with new transfers this month. That's almost an entire slate of WAC releases (movie-wise) for a month. And most (if not all) of the confirmed new transfers put up on HBO Max so far have been announced for Blu-ray right away (which in this case would mean those four would be announced for October). If true, then that leaves little room for horror fans in time for Halloween (unless Dr. X has been finished by UCLA). Like I said before, I can understand the pandemic affecting things in that way, and I'm willing to cut WAC some slack about that (and other delayed promises).

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I'd like to see Blossoms In The Dust released, it has been years since I have seen it but I recall enjoying the Greer Garson drama immensely.

Since it was in the Warners Holiday Box set, I can see them release it in November or December, however though I recall lots of orphan babies, it was not an overly Christmassy film.

I'd be just as happy with Sunrise At Campobello.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
A lot of interesting info on this month’s podcast. Some of the primary points brought up:

1. The original three-strip negatives for Show Boat survive complete, but nothing to announce at present.
  2. Apparently the holdup on Showgirl is that the intertitles are all in Italian and need to be translated.
  3. Pre-Code Horrors: Freaks only has fourth-generation elements at Warner, but there is a plan to release it in the future. Both versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde need a lot of work and they’re searching for better elements. George Feltenstein would also love to do Mask of Fu Manchu and Mark of the Vampire, but both are costly to restore and nothing to announce at present.
  4. They’re working on more Film Noir/Gangster films and some are being worked on now.
  5. Some of the Forbidden Hollywood titles will make it to Blu-ray in the future.
  6. Some Jean Harlow films are in the works, but nothing concrete to announce.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Someone on Twitter posted some sneak peek images from the new restoration of Doctor X and they look quite good.

Eg24DabXcAECIuR

Eg24EDdX0AEQ4h0

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
A lot of interesting info on this month’s podcast. Some of the primary points brought up:

1. The original three-strip negatives for Show Boat survive complete, but nothing to announce at present.
  2. Apparently the holdup on Showgirl is that the intertitles are all in Italian and need to be translated.
  3. Pre-Code Horrors: Freaks only has fourth-generation elements at Warner, but there is a plan to release it in the future. Both versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde need a lot of work and they’re searching for better elements. George Feltenstein would also love to do Mask of Fu Manchu and Mark of the Vampire, but both are costly to restore and nothing to announce at present.
  4. They’re working on more Film Noir/Gangster films and some are being worked on now.
  5. Some of the Forbidden Hollywood titles will make it to Blu-ray in the future.
  6. Some Jean Harlow films are in the works, but nothing concrete to announce.
As well as a rather detailed explanation of the difference between remastering and restoration by George Feltenstein, using Mystery of the Wax Museum as an example.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
My personal hopes for Dinner At Eight, Red Dust, and China Seas.
"Red Dust" was worked on to get it in good enough condition to be released as a MOD DVD. Don't know if anything more can be done to it or needs to be done to it in order for it to get a blu ray release. I would add "Red Headed Woman", "Bombshell" and "Libeled Lady" as wanted Harlow blu ray releases.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On the podcast while discussing the poor condition of the "Banana Splits" show they mention the only animation project needing more work is the restoration of the original 1/2 hour night time ABC broadcast version of "The Bugs Bunny Show" . Mr. Feltenstein said after years of talking about this someone may be finally listening so maybe someday ..... At least it is not never.

Last edited:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Would we think Dinner at Eight would be possible on Blu? Given that it was just re-released on DVD by WA?

I am considering a purchase of the new DVD because my copy of the original Warner's DVD of DaE has become unplayable.

Hi Mike, they said in a recent podcast that that doesn't have any bearing as to whether a Blu-ray will or won't be released in the future. I hope we'll see Dinner at Eight on Blu-ray.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
That is great news on jean harlow films being looked at for blu ray which also means clark gable. Also would love to see Random harvest get released.

Did they say anything on sergeant York? I know it was getting a full restoration since it was selected by the library of congress for being historically significant and Robert Harris stated it was in middle of a full restoration but then no news on it for 3 years now. I just got an overseas blu ray of to hell and back and would love to see sergeant york beside it in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks