What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (15 Viewers)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Really stoked about this batch! Moonfleet, Wagon Master, Jezebel are all day one purchases. Now I'm getting a bit excited that someday we might actually see BD versions of Helen of Troy, Scaramouche, Ivanhoe, The Silver Chalice, Raintree County and Land of the Pharaohs. Hope these deep classics sell like hotcakes.

To this list I would add The Nun's Story.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Really stoked about this batch! Moonfleet, Wagon Master, Jezebel are all day one purchases. Now I'm getting a bit excited that someday we might actually see BD versions of Helen of Troy, Scaramouche, Ivanhoe, The Silver Chalice, Raintree County and Land of the Pharaohs. Hope these deep classics sell like hotcakes.
Also...Knights of the Round Table (1953) MGM's first Cinemascope movie. Also the Long awaited..The Curse of Frankenstein ! New Restored version. UK Bluray was (and is) Terrible !

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

It looks like Western and Knight themes still beat out more ancient historical backgrounds but I share your hopes that maybe we are getting closer.

Perhaps we will also get Ford's flawed but incredibly beautiful Cheyenne Autumn and The Prodigal. For sheer fun alone The Prodigal would be my number three ancient times film candidate from Warner after Land of the Pharaohs and Helen of Troy.

In any case Moonfleet, Wagon Master, Jezebel and maybe The Witches go on my WB Shop shopping list.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Just Moonfleet and The Jetsons for me. Not a big month for me but glad that WAC continues to release a good variety from their holdings each month as always.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
For sheer fun alone The Prodigal would be my number three ancient times film candidate from Warner after Land of the Pharaohs and Helen of Troy.

YES! I'm a super fan of The Prodigal, too, as was my now sadly departed friend Holly Woodlawn. It was Holly's favorite film in fact, and we sat through it multiple times usually along with exotic tiki cocktails. It would look FABULOUS in hi-def!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
YES! I'm a super fan of The Prodigal, too, as was my now sadly departed friend Holly Woodlawn. It was Holly's favorite film in fact, and we sat through it multiple times usually along with exotic tiki cocktails. It would look FABULOUS in hi-def!

Very cool story and I can imagine that Holly would have liked The Prodigal!

It also goes to show that many people who like these movies and saw them in theaters back then are not that young any more. It would be nice if Warner and other studios would take that into account if in doubt so that they release an older movie from the 50s and 60s before they release something from the 70s or 80s. The audience for the later decades will generally still be there in ten years from now, people who still saw the earlier movies theatrically not so much.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Very cool story and I can imagine that Holly would have liked The Prodigal!

It also goes to show that many people who like these movies and saw them in theaters back then are not that young any more. It would be nice if Warner and other studios would take that into account if in doubt so that they release an older movie from the 50s and 60s before they release something from the 70s or 80s. The audience for the later decades will generally still be there in ten years from now, people who still saw the ealrlier movies theatrically not so much.
I'm certainly "not that young any more" and I like The Prodigal a lot. I enjoy most Lana Turner films but, as I've pointed out before, Warner Archive is not impressed by the big female stars of yesteryear and very rarely gives them a Blu-ray presentation. Lana's one outing was with John Wayne and it's obvious what was the selling point with that release.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I would love to see the last remaining big war epic on blu ray Operation Crossbow I am sure the Warner Archive team read this thread All the other great epic war movies have had a release on blu

I agree totally with your comments and Operation Crossbow and also Up Periscope will hopefully be released by WA. Someone at WA is obviously a big fan of James Garner so the latter title is a strong possibility surely.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'm certainly "not that young any more" and I like The Prodigal a lot. I enjoy most Lana Turner films but, as I've pointed out before, Warner Archive is not impressed by the big female stars of yesteryear and very rarely gives them a Blu-ray presentation. Lana's one outing was with John Wayne and it's obvious what was the selling point with that release.

Indeed Warner does not seem to see many leading ladies of the 50s or 60s as much of a draw with one exception being Doris Day who seems to have fared quite well with three releases that come to mind.

As for John Wayne he should have been in even more movies as almost everything he was in gets released!

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Warner need to start working on their Marilyn Monroe titles asap for quality BD releases! I expected them to be released years ago. Or are there problems with the surviving elements?

How about all the Elia Kazan titles still not on BD?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Warner need to start working on their Marilyn Monroe titles asap for quality BD releases! I expected them to be released years ago. Or are there problems with the surviving elements?

Like AMERICA AMAERICA, which would be a great title for Criterion.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Well, they did it to me again. Yesterday was starting to look so good (I'm the weird person this year who is now enjoying seeing months where nothing I want is announced), with only the next set of Popeye appealing to me (but I figured I could delay that one). Then they had to go and announce both The Set-Up and The Letter. While I've never seen either of them, I definitely want them. Admittedly, due to budget constraints, I will not be buying The Set-Up immediately, and I will be waiting until they make their November announcements in mid-October before I look hard into grabbing The Letter. I want it, if only to help keep WAC releasing Bette Davis films until I get the two I want (The Man Who Came To Dinner and The Bride Came C.O.D.), but I hesitate, if only because I'm waiting to see what else is coming for the remainder of the year. At this point, musicals from the late 20s through the 50s are the biggest must-haves for me (and I hope they have at least one more in them for the year, otherwise I will be very disappointed), followed by 30s films in general (after a 4 year long drought, I'm not taking chances and buying every one they release). Plus, I'm currently starting to wonder, after the last few months, whether they might finally be getting around to the Fredric March and Spencer Tracy Jekyll and Hyde films (seriously, at this point, those are the two films from that era I'm surprised they HAVEN'T tried releasing in the last few years, given the popularity of horror films). But, either way, I'm still looking forward to seeing what WAC has up their sleeve for the rest of the year!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see a release of National Velvet this year. It's celebrating its 75th anniversary!

s-l1600 (6).jpg

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Too bad Warner doesn't seem to care about their library of Ann Sheridan movies. I'd love to get some of that on Blu-Ray, but can't think of a single one that has been released.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
oo bad Warner doesn't seem to care about their library of Ann Sheridan movies. I'd love to get some of that on Blu-Ray, but can't think of a single one that has been released.

Have you forgotten Thank Your Lucky Stars? It may not be an "Ann Sheridan movie" in the traditional sense, but as far as I'm concerned, her song is definitely one of the three highlights (along with the ones done by the movie's biggest stars, Errol Flynn and Bette Davis).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Couldn’t agree more. What WB has been neglecting in their Monroe library should be made illegal. We need to pool financial resources, and take them to court. Or possibly pass a new amendment. They control the majority of her work, and treat her badly.

Precisely, how badly, is best left to one’s imagination.

But it’s on par with the way Fox, and now Disney, has been treating the Garland films.

Two reprehensible studios!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks