What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (5 Viewers)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And a re-Quest for "Johnny Belinda", too.

Otherwise:
"The Days of Wine and Roses"
"Sergeant York"
"Pride of the Yankees"
"The Life of Emile Zola"
"A Day at the Races"
"A Night at the Opera"
"Bringing Up Baby"
"Wuthering Heights" (1939)
A really great list...but I wouldn't buy any of them. I looked at the DVDs of A Night At The Opera & A Day At The Races the other month, & they hadn't aged well (for me anyway), & I always found Bringing Up Baby rather annoying (all that shouting). Sergeant York is great, but it's been showing on TCM (UK) & I've looked at it twice, & I think that's enough for me (in other words, I don't want to own it). I don't fancy Wuthering Heights (I did see it a couple of times on TV in the sixties), I've never seen Pride Of The Yankees & The Life Of Emile Zola, & The Days Of Wine & Roses, great film though it is, is a bit of a downer for me. I do love a lot of thirties & forties b/w films & could make a long(ish) wants list. I'm just saying how hard it is to please people.

Just ten b/w movies (to keep it to a short round figure) that I'd give a Yahoo! to if they were released:

The Mask Of Fu Manchu (1932)
Gold Diggers Of 1933 (1933)
Tarzan & His Mate (1934)
Angels With Dirty Faces (1938)
Boom Town (1940)
Air Force (1943)
Bataan (1943)
The Big Sky (1952)
The Bad & The Beautiful (1952)
The Hill (1965).
Not once since joining HTF in May of 2015 have I taken another persons Wish-List and cited film by film my reasons for not wanting to purchase them. Some Wish-Lists reflect the same titles that I would hope to purchase, others only a few and some, none at all. I route for my films and, even if another person's title doesn't interest me, I still find myself routing for theirs. The bottom line is that I route for restorations, proper transfers making their way to the BD light of day and the ongoing life of physical media. I see three titles from your list that interest me, Billy; but I have no interest in citing the specific reasons as to why I don't want the other 7 titles; as it serves no purpose and would only defeat the larger overview of your own desires. It is my hope that your dismissals of another members Wish-List does not negate nor cancel out even the remotest of considerations from WAC or any other studio. 9 films wiped out by one voice and post seems entirely counter-productive; especially when, thereafter, your critiques are followed up by your own alternate Wish-List, with just as many titles. Just sayin', Billy...meanwhile, good luck to you, me and all others who hope the see even a couple of their desired Wish-List titles become a future announcement and reality. Peace and out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not once since joining HTF in May of 2015 have I taken another persons Wish-List and cited film by film my reasons for not wanting to purchase them. Some Wish-Lists reflect the same titles that I would hope to purchase, others only a few and some, none at all. I route for my films and, even if another person's title doesn't interest me, I still find myself routing for theirs. The bottom line is that I route for restorations, proper transfers making their way to the BD light of day and the ongoing life of physical media. I see three titles from your list that interest me, Billy; but I have no interest in citing the specific reasons as to why I don't want the other 7 titles; as it serves no purpose and would only defeat the larger overview of your own desires. It is my hope that your dismissals of another members Wish-List does not negate nor cancel out even the remotest of considerations from WAC or any other studio. 9 films wiped out by one voice and post seems entirely counter-productive; especially when, thereafter, your critiques are followed up by your own alternate Wish-List, with just as many titles. Just sayin', Billy...meanwhile, good luck to you, me and all others who hope the see even a couple of their desired Wish-List titles become a future announcement and reality. Peace and out.
Great post!

Reactions: PMF

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Sorry PMF, but how can you say they were dismissals, I started off by saying what a really great list it is! My point was no matter how great a list is, even a lifelong film fan won't necessarily won't agree with them, & I just thought I'd give reasons why, out of politeness really. So many wants lists everywhere, (including plenty of mine), & so many great lists where I think, really good, but I wouldn't buy any of them, so many thousands of films awaiting release. But if you want to take umbridge, that's up to you.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
A really great list...but I wouldn't buy any of them. I looked at the DVDs of A Night At The Opera & A Day At The Races the other month, & they hadn't aged well (for me anyway), & I always found Bringing Up Baby rather annoying (all that shouting). Sergeant York is great, but it's been showing on TCM (UK) & I've looked at it twice, & I think that's enough for me (in other words, I don't want to own it). I don't fancy Wuthering Heights (I did see it a couple of times on TV in the sixties), I've never seen Pride Of The Yankees & The Life Of Emile Zola, & The Days Of Wine & Roses, great film though it is, is a bit of a downer for me. I do love a lot of thirties & forties b/w films & could make a long(ish) wants list. I'm just saying how hard it is to please people.

Surely nobody can accuse you of not being hard to please :D
Kidding aside you give a number of reasons why people in our hobby will not even buy relatively high profile titles any more.

And for the record: I would buy most of them, very good list.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Surely nobody can accuse you of not being hard to please :D
Kidding aside you give a number of reasons why people in our hobby will not even buy relatively high profile titles any more.

And for the record: I would buy most of them, very good list.

A really great list. As I get older I'm getting more picky (& maybe losing any good taste I once had), films I would have bought automatically ten years ago, I'm passing on now.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Sorry PMF, but how can you say they were dismissals, I started off by saying what a really great list it is! [...]
Thanks for clarifying. My initial concerns were about the second half of your sentence. "No Sale" on all 9 titles did not feel like the most encouraging of messages to WAC; as potential "Sales" and profit most assuredly play a large part in most of their business decisions to produce a disc. On the flip side of things, though, we also have two threads with hundreds and hundreds of posts in favor of "Raintree County" and "Ryan's Daughter"; and obviously, that hasn't swayed Warner's or WAC to much degree, either.

BTW, your 3 titles that I would purchase are:
"The Gold Diggers of 1933" (1933)
"Angles With Dirty Faces" (1938)
"The Bad and the Beautiful" (1952)

P.S.
I'm at peace with you, brother Billy;
as I have no choice but to be;
after all, if I ever get to visit the UK, I'm gonna need a free place to crash.:D

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Has anything been heard about Warner's plans for Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid finally coming to Blu-ray?

It is now the only Peckinpah movie that has not been released on Blu-ray which is a shame as it is in my top three of his movies.

Probably still unreleased as it is a complicated project with three versions that all would ideally have to be included to make everybody happy. Strangely enough I thought that the Turner version worked better for me than the Seydor cut that is supposed to be closer to Peckinpah's intentions.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, Pat Garrett is a huge title, & I prefer the Turner cut to the Seydor cut, & just like the DVD release, I expect the release (when it comes) to have both cuts. I keep reading that it's going to be a Criterion release, but I don't know where that rumour started. I want it!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Has anything been heard about Warner's plans for Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid finally coming to Blu-ray?[...]
Yup, Pat Garrett is a huge title, & I prefer the Turner cut to the Seydor cut, & just like the DVD release, I expect the release (when it comes) to have both cuts. I keep reading that it's going to be a Criterion release, but I don't know where that rumour started. I want it!
Oh yes, this one is definitely overdue for a BD edition and a definite purchase from me now makes three.

Hey guys, mind if I join the Posse?:wave-hello:

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
WBShop Spring 2019 WAC "$4 for 44 + Free Shipping" started today and runs through Monday March 25 11:59pm PDT
Single Disc Items released through Jan 2019 appear to be included. As usual, after the 4th item each additional eligible item is discounted to $11 so no requirement to do groups of 4.

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44

Also a bit of a variation for those 2+ Disc sets, TV series, 3D Sets, etc -- up to 30% off. Decent prices, but not world beaters.
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-multidisc-sale

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Has anything been heard about Warner's plans for Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid finally coming to Blu-ray?

That, along with a 4K upgrade of THE WILD BUNCH, would be totally awesome.

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
And a re-Quest for "Johnny Belinda", too.

Otherwise:
"The Days of Wine and Roses"
"Sergeant York"
"Pride of the Yankees"
"The Life of Emile Zola"
"A Day at the Races"
"A Night at the Opera"
"Bringing Up Baby"
"Wuthering Heights" (1939)

I think the problem some of us are having with WAC of late is that they seem to be releasing a lot of what was once considered B grade stuff (Bad Ronald, Brewster McCloud, Frankenstein 1970) that didn't do well when it first came out but has since acquired a cult status, while a lot of the certified 'classics' still remain MIA. I second everything on the above list and will add for the record:
High Society
Scaramouche
The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
The Great Ziegfeld
Ivanhoe
National Velvet
The Harvey Girls
Good News
Bathing Beauty
That Midnight Kiss
Holiday in Mexico
Random Harvest
Gaslight
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (both versions)
Johnny Eager
Million Dollar Mermaid
Marie Antoinette
Knights of the Round Table
Personal Property
Reckless
Broadway Melody (of every year)
The Thin Man (all of them)
Random Harvest
Week-end at the Waldorf
Till the Clouds Roll By
Words & Music
I Walked With A Zombie
Madame Bovary
The Prisoner of Zenda (Ronald Colman)
Around the World in 80 Days
The Student Prince
Camille
Flamingo Road
Possessed (Gable/Crawford)
A Woman's Face
Anna Karenina
All This and Heaven Too
Old Acquaintance
The Letter
Tarzan: The Ape Man
Red Dust
Boom Town
China Seas
Honky Tonk
Idiot's Delight
The Merry Widow (Chevalier/MacDonald)
Maytime
Small Town Girl
For Me and My Gal
All of the Astaire/Rogers movies
All of the Busby Berkeley musicals
All of the Andy Hardy movies
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

...and this is just the tip of a very deep iceberg. So, no shortage of goodies to mine. So, when a movie like Frankenstein 1970 gets pushed ahead of this lot - and others - you can maybe understand why some of us think, "hey, wait a minute....what about....?"

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great list, but I have a horrible feeling that Frankenstein 1970 would probably outsell them all. But I do love that anticipation about what's released every mid-month, usually followed by disappointment. Looking forward to mid-April!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
...and this is just the tip of a very deep iceberg. So, no shortage of goodies to mine. So, when a movie like Frankenstein 1970 gets pushed ahead of this lot - and others - you can maybe understand why some of us think, "hey, wait a minute....what about....?"

What about Garbo, I always say. Thank you for remembering her on your list :D

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Great list, Nick Z! Probably good that they only release a handful every week, though. I'm afraid I'd have to sell
my first born to afford all the titles I'd want from that list!

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Great list, but I have a horrible feeling that Frankenstein 1970 would probably outsell them all. But I do love that anticipation about what's released every mid-month, usually followed by disappointment. Looking forward to mid-April!

Would it? Horror of Dracula was one of their single most anticipated horror films and that never even cracked WBShop's top 20.

WAC would have to really suck at their job if they couldn't sell Tarzan or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks