What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (10 Viewers)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
How are the customs issued handled by importcds? Being a sibling to DeepDiscount, DVDPlanet, etc and I've read that customs issues are still pretty significant.

WOWHD seems to be the International arm of Deep Discount and seems to have a developing following due to better customs impact since I think they ship from within the UK

I know others like to use Blurayasforeveryone esp for things like BBY and Target exclusives and maybe DMC Exclusives. I think this is a one man site and cost varies substantially, but often far less than Ebay.

No problem so far. I usually order 3 or 4 titles to make the postage worthwhile.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Great news on Dark of the Sun, and I hope Colossus doesn't have only an English dub but the original Italian language too.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Me too! I have it in the Warner DVD Historical Epics set (along with Colossus & The Prodigal), who would have thought that Colossus would have been the first (& maybe only) WAC epic film release.

I have that one, too. The DVD of Land of the Pharaohs looks really quite bad so I never watched it, always hoping that I would be able to get some kind of HD version or possibly be lucky to catch a 35 mm screening. Instead of that we now already get the second Blu-ray release of colossus...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see LAND OF THE PHARAOHS. Sorta trashy, but what a great ending!
It is a Howard Hawks movie and I am not sure but it might be his only movie shot in scope? In any case I am sure that I will like it when Warner finally moves it into the HD realm.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
It is a Howard Hawks movie and I am not sure but it might be his only movie shot in scope? In any case I am sure that I will like it when Warner finally moves it into the HD realm.
It was indeed his only scope film, I’ve been hoping it will be announced every month from the Archives!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It was indeed his only scope film, I’ve been hoping it will be announced every month from the Archives!

Oh yes, that would complete my ancient Egyptian trilogy (along with The Egyptian & The Ten Commandments). Jack Hawkins as the Pharaoh & a blacked-up Joan Collins as the love interest. It's a Hawks folly, but what a fun one, & as Dick said, that ending (the closing of the Pyramid), once seen never forgotten.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Great news on those two announced releases. Colossus is actually my favorite of those three in that DVD box set. I enjoyed all three of them to be honest, but the sword fight on top of the Colossus and the tomb scene are tops. Rory Calhoun is a cool actor too, don’t see much of him on bluray. I also like the soundtrack, I believe it was the same composer that did Legend of the Lost that was recently released by Kino.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Great news on those two announced releases. Colossus is actually my favorite of those three in that DVD box set. I enjoyed all three of them to be honest, but the sword fight on top of the Colossus and the tomb scene are tops. Rory Calhoun is a cool actor too, don’t see much of him on bluray. I also like the soundtrack, I believe it was the same composer that did Legend of the Lost that was recently released by Kino.

Then I am really happy for you and I hope it will sell well. If it looks really good I might even get it myself to give it another try and to support the release of more ancient world epics.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
On Facebook:

Now we are nine!
Happy birthday to us - and thanks for all your support! And get ready for some exciting releases in the months ahead - both delightful DVDs and beautiful Blu-rays (it might just turn out to be our biggest year for Blu-ray yet!). And keep your ears peeled for a birthday announce or two emanating from one of our Wondercon panels!

Wondercon is today through Sunday.

What I wonder, is whether this might be their way of saying that things have finally gotten to a point where it would be financially feasible for them to release some multi-film sets on blu?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
What I wonder, is whether this might be their way of saying that things have finally gotten to a point where it would be financially feasible for them to release some multi-film sets on blu?
I doubt it. Its rare for them to even release a set on DVD and they haven't released one on Blu yet. Since these are limited releases with limited sales it doesn't make any more sense for them to do box sets than for Twilight time to do box sets. I think the bargain days of catalog titles in box sets are gone other than repacking of titles by major studios.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I doubt it. Its rare for them to even release a set on DVD and they haven't released one on Blu yet. Since these are limited releases with limited sales it doesn't make any more sense for them to do box sets than for Twilight time to do box sets. I think the bargain days of catalog titles in box sets are gone other than repacking of titles by major studios.
I get that. I've been saying that I doubt they would do this myself for some time. But how else could they have their "biggest year for Blu-ray yet?" I have a hard time believing that there is much of any other way they can release more movies on the format than they did last year, especially with the pace they have started out at. I admit, they could be talking about bringing out some classic tv on blu (although I have my doubts about that), or they may be releasing some of the bigger classics, just at a slower pace (and I'm not sure too many here think that's the way they are going yet). And I never said they would be BIG sets either. I would think maybe 2-3 films max (since some of the last 5-film sets from WHV came out at about $50, and since MOD releases are more expensive than retail releases and WAC seems to be wary of releasing stuff that costs more than $60, anything bigger than 3 films seems unlikely). It would also partly explain why we have gotten fewer releases so far (if they are doing sets, not every film in the set would be started or finished at the same time, and they wouldn't always have other stuff finished to make up for it).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I get that. I've been saying that I doubt they would do this myself for some time. But how else could they have their "biggest year for Blu-ray yet?" I have a hard time believing that there is much of any other way they can release more movies on the format than they did last year, especially with the pace they have started out at. I admit, they could be talking about bringing out some classic tv on blu (although I have my doubts about that), or they may be releasing some of the bigger classics, just at a slower pace (and I'm not sure too many here think that's the way they are going yet). And I never said they would be BIG sets either. I would think maybe 2-3 films max (since some of the last 5-film sets from WHV came out at about $50, and since MOD releases are more expensive than retail releases and WAC seems to be wary of releasing stuff that costs more than $60, anything bigger than 3 films seems unlikely). It would also partly explain why we have gotten fewer releases so far (if they are doing sets, not every film in the set would be started or finished at the same time, and they wouldn't always have other stuff finished to make up for it).
When they first started Blu Ray releases it was 2-4 a month. Last year it was 4-6. They have released 13 titles so far compared to 17 last year at this time. They could release 6 titles a month and easily have more titles than last year

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
OKAY, promise, no more bitching about WB from me since they've just blown my mind with the blu-ray announcement of Colossus of Rhodes...WOW, can't wait for this one. Sign me up for Land of the Pharaohs and Helen of Troy if there's any chance. Can't get enough of this fabulous stuff. Oh, and maybe The Silver Chalice and The Prodigal just for fun.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
OKAY, promise, no more bitching about WB from me since they've just blown my mind with the blu-ray announcement of Colossus of Rhodes...WOW, can't wait for this one. Sign me up for Land of the Pharaohs and Helen of Troy if there's any chance. Can't get enough of this fabulous stuff. Oh, and maybe The Silver Chalice and The Prodigal just for fun.

If we're talking about "epics", I wouldn't mind seeing King Richard And The Crusaders, Ivanhoe and Knights Of The Round Table getting the blu treatment.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Colossus of Rhodes! It would be fantastic if they included the uncut Italian version! ( The Italian version is longer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
At this point, bigger does not mean in quantity ! :) Maybe it will be by December..or they have bigger titles / major titles to announce. Hard to say so far

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
When they first started Blu Ray releases it was 2-4 a month. Last year it was 4-6. They have released 13 titles so far compared to 17 last year at this time. They could release 6 titles a month and easily have more titles than last year
Considering it *seemed* like they were having trouble late last year releasing that many titles a month, I have my doubts that that would be the case. Of course, my idea about the multi-film sets is just a theory (and possibly wishful thinking). I would think it would be a possibility for some of the various film series/ screen teams (I certainly have a hard time seeing the Astaire-Rogers films coming out fast, for example, since it seems like they have so far only released a small handful of musicals a year and usually featuring different stars).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks