What's new

Which R PTV has the best Resolution? (1 Viewer)

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Your going to get a lot of different opinions on something like this. I'm not sure there will be a definitive answer. Take a look at this, for example, which claims to offer full 1920 X 1080 resolution:

CEDIA, Minneapolis, MN, September 27, 2002 - Toshiba, a leader in innovative digital color TV technologies, announced today that the next generation of the ultimate home theater experience will begin shipping in Q4 2002. Featuring the world's first three-1080p chip system, the Toshiba Cinema Series® 57HLX82 57-inch projection TV utilizes Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCOS) technology to bring the future of home entertainment into today's home theaters.

While the advanced 1080p Chip System ensures the ultimate in color purity, saturation and brightness - providing an astoundingly clear and film-like image with full 1080p resolution - the Toshiba 57HLX82 extends its promise to lead the projection TV category and combines this unique high-resolution technology with additional advanced and innovative technologies.

"With our three 1080p chip system, the Toshiba 57HLX82 is the highest resolution television available to consumers - more than twice the resolution of other Digital Light Engine projection TVs," noted Scott Ramirez, Toshiba Vice President of Marketing.

LCOS- 57HLX82
"By adding this new LCOS set to our Cinema Series® line of advanced digital products, we're following through on our promise to provide discriminating home theater enthusiasts with today's most innovative technologies to meet their most demanding specifications."

The super-thin flat-panel projection set (about 18 inches deep) utilizes three 1080p LCOS microchips (red, green, blue), along with Toshiba's new HID (High Intensity Discharge) 8,000-hour lamp and a variety of today's most advanced digital optical technologies to provide consumers with the ultimate in image quality, brightness and color purity. In addition, the set's built-in DVI (Digital Visual Interface) with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) ensures consistent high-quality reception of all digital television broadcasts. For video game enthusiasts, a 15-pin D-Sub input provides XGA reception from a connected PC.

The 57HLX82's striking cabinet design features a glass shield with anti-reflective coating and the industry's finest pitch (under .1mm) screen designed especially for this LCOS display technology. A built-in storage space underneath the screen is ideal for either a center-channel home theater speaker or additional components.

In order to provide realistic home theater audio, the 57HLX82 features Virtual Dolby (SRS Tru-Surround), along with high-performance bottom woofers and screen-height tweeters. A Toshiba home theater remote control allows users to control a variety of additional audio/video components.

The Toshiba Cinema Series® 57HLX82 will begin shipping in Q4 2002 at a suggested retail price of $8,999.99

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure that the highest resolution rear projector is the 73 inch Mitsubishi. The nine inch guns pack a greater pixel count than the 7 inch guns of the Pioneer Elites.

I had read that some of the Hitachi's also have 9 inch CRTs. I can only assume they would look pretty good too.

-Dave

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

High res is nice to have but if it is a difference that you cannot see ... then what is it worth to you?

Toshiba RPTV's, Sony's Hitachis Panny ... all do roughly 11-1200 lines.

Pioneers do 1200 to 1300 ...

Chance of you seeing the difference between sets ... marginal ... especially on uncalibrated TV sets.

Also to note ... more to image than just resolution. A hig res image with bad colour decoder is a high res image with bad image ...

Regards

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are correct about the color. That is the first thing you notice when you see a big screen TV.
The Hitachis I have seen look very good. I understand Hitachi makes most of their own parts while the others like Sony buy from them.
The Hitachis do tend to be a little green while the Sonys and Mistubishis tend toward red.
I guess my question was pertaining to which one has the most 3D image?
And does a TV with a lot of resolution make a huge difference when it has to go through a fresnel screen anyway?
I would also guess it would be darker because the "pixels" (for lack of a better word)are smaller.
I am just rying to make sure that the one I buy has the most natural image without a lot of grain, etc.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a set showing 1100 lines versus 1200 lines. Very doubtful infact.

It has been described that TV's displaying 1 million pixels look real. So if 1 million = real ... how does 1.2 million pixels look? How does 1.3 million pixels look?

You are looking for a difference that you won't see.

There are other aspects of images that should also be considered.

Regards

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Pioneer Elites come with the best picture (on adverage) out of the box.

It's a quality that you pay for in the price of the TV.

Mits, Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, Panny all can look good, even better or best after a professional calibration.

The total costs of one of those and an ISF job would be less than the ELITE costs, and for much less $$ you can have the satisfaction in knowing your set is performing very near the best that it can get.

This is in relation to image quality only,

Somtimes features also play a role in price, so don't cut yourself short there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks