What's new

which pvr includes dvd recorder? (1 Viewer)

Charles

Agent
has anyone used a pvr that has a good dvd recorder built in? If so, who makes the best one and how much $?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If I were starting from scratch today, I'd take a serious look at the two Pioneer TiVo/recorder units. Further information here.

M.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The Pioneer Tivo units are the only true PVR / DVD-R/RW machines. They are rather pricy though. If your primary interest is in time shifting television, and saving some of those shows to disc, I'd look no further.

If you are primarily interested in using the DVD-R to archive footage from camcorder tapes or the like, I wouldn't recommend those units though, as they don't really have any editing features, and lack digital input for digital video cameras. You'd be better off with one of the Panasonic machines, and a separate Tivo for TV.

Tivo is king for TV watching. But the DVD-R features on these first Pioneer units are somewhat lacking IMO (although they are great for dumping shows you record onto disc).

Charles

Agent
Thanks, when they come out with a direct tv tivo machine that handles HD and records/plays DVD for under 1K, I will buy. That will be the perfect addition to dedicated home theater! Anyone know when that might be?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Maybe in 4 years?

I think you are asking too much for one box. HD DirecTV/Tivo will be out in ~6-8 months or so. But HD DVD-R, like Sony's Blue-Ray, isn't out in the U.S. yet, and it's like $3500+ in Japan.

It'll be quite awhile before you get HD DirecTV + HD DVD-R all in one box. And maybe you won't ever get it, as content providers may prevent DirecTV from making such a box. They aren't eager to allow recording stuff in HD to removable media, as they'd like to be able to sell you the discs later.

I would buy HD-DirecTivo, and get separate standard, non-HD, DVD-R if you really want one.

Charles

Agent
thanks, I have time before I need to decide what to buy I am just finishing up plans for the new house. I am going to have a good (not crazy) budget for the dedicated theater and I definitely want to include a HD direct tv tivo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks