What's new

Which Pre/Pro to buy? (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
my dealer I deal with just got in the Parasound C2 to determine if he is interested in picking the line back up. I am going today to demo and see what it has to offer. I read the review in Home Theater Mag and they just did a review in the new DVD Etc. Mag about the C2 which also reviewed very well. The Anthem seems to be a nice piece but I do not need all the Bells and Whistles it offers.
DVD ETC. gave the Parasound Halo C2 a "97" rating, which is obviously very good.

As far as not needing all the "Bells and whistles" offered by the Anthem, you could say the same about the Halo C2 since it has more than enough bells and whistles itself.

From what I can tell, the Anthem actually retails for about $600.00 less than the Halo C2, but the C2 can be had for much less than its retail price, which is not true for the Anthem. In the end, the price of these two great pre/pro's will be very close (within $100.00).

I need to see/hear the C2 to make my decision final. Looks like I need to head down to The Good Guys.

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
Anthem review is in the next issue, I heard.. Let's wait and see? Can't go wrong wih either, I'd say..

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur,

The DVD Etc. Magazine was delivered to the subscribers yesterday through the mail. I am not sure if it is in the stores as of now but should be by Friday.

Ted

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
me?

BTW, C2 includes awesome mx-700 remote.. If the price about the same and u want to choose one over another, this expensive nice remote night help your decision..

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur,

I just went and listened to the C2. What an awesome pre/pro. I also read the DVD Etc. article and it received awesome ratings. The piece sound incredible as well as looks super. I am going to pre order one as soon as my dealer picks the line back up which I believe will be soon. Check this piece out.

Ted

John A. Casler

Second Unit
As a dealer of Krell, Bryston, ATI, and others, I'm surprised the Bryston SP1.7 hasn't been brought up.

If I'm not mistaken it seems to have all the properties your looking for, including THX formats and balanced outputs.

It also has an "audiophile grade" analog 2 channel abilty.

Regards,

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Does anyone here have the Sunfire TG3 pre/pro and if so what do they think of it? The only thing holding me back right now from upgrading my Yamaha RX-V995 reciever is being out of work, lmao. I am how ever still doing my homework on weather or not to go flagship reciever or pre/pro. I realize that long run the pre/pro would give the best results in performance. I am contiplating getting both DVD-A and multi channel SACD. I currently play stereo SACD in my DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD player. It is a nice unit other than it not playing CD-R or CD-RW's. HD is something else I want to upgrade to along with a front projection unit on a 110" screen.

Currently looking at these models to replace my reciever.
Flagship Reciever
Denon AVR-5803
Pre/Pro
Sunfire, B&K, Adcom and ???

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
From my use with the Ref 50/MX-700 combo the sidekick isn't really needed. Just my .02 on that issue.
Based on what I have seen regarding the "sidekick", I would definitely agree with you Roger.

That being said, the Halo C2 is still at the top of my list now (overtaking the B&K Ref 50).

Dave-

As someone who is currently building a dedicated HT (an actual room addition to the existing house) and going with a front projector on a 110 inch screen, I would definitely recommend going with seperates! With a front pj, a huge screen, you will obviously need a fairly large room. Seperates will definitely give you noticeably better performance than a receiver.

If you are going with high end gear like a front pj and huge screen, don't skimp on the audio!

I have not demo'd the Sunfire, but I hear good things.

I would definitely add the Parasound C2 to your list above. Although it retails for more than the others ($4000) it can be had for quite a bit less.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was impressed with the Sunfire at the CES show in Las Vegas this past January. The Denon at CES was very impressive as well. Its hard to find a pro/pro that has all the extras like the Denon 5803 has. Assignable amps, assignable digital inputs, dual 8 channels inputs, wireless docking station for remote, electronic crossovers, 3 zones and a few more things I think. Oh And lots of inputs with good power built in. So I would imagine that if it was used as a pre/pro it would really rock? I want to have both multi channel dvd-a and sacd. But I might just stick with SACD and play the dvd-a back thru the surround decoder ?? As far as the projector I have no idea what one to go with yet but I am leaning towards a Stewert Film Screen for the projector. I really like there product!
I am waiting for the release of Adcoms dvd/dvd-a player that was at the CES show. It was very impressive and has the look of a highend peice, retail($1,000).

I have a pair of Altec Lancing Voice of the Theater cabnets to go on the sides of my 110" screen. I may just end up building a custom JBL center channel with dual 12's and a horn? That would match my Altecs :D. Am not sure if the SACD/DVD-A multi decks are audiophile quality or if they are lacking ?? There is just alot of work and research involved with building a HT. But of course I dont need to tell anyone here that, lol. If I go pre/pro I am thinking of getting a Audio Control EQ to go with it :emoji_thumbsup: .

Good luck on your HT Rob let us know how everything goes.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
There is just alot of work and research involved with building a HT. But of course I dont need to tell anyone here that, lol.
You've got that right Dave!

I have spent so much time on the computer over the last 6 weeks or so researching my HT design and equipment that my ass is sore from sitting so much! :eek:

Looks like you are on the right track Dave. Good luck.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know what the street prices of the Parasound C2 is going for? I have seen anywhere from $3000 to $3400. My dealer quoted me $3400. I think is a little high. Please let me know.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks