What's new

Which Moody Blues DVD is better? (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I have been "struggling" on which DVD to buy..
Moody Blues: A Night At Red Rocks With The Colorado Symphony Orchestra
Moody Blues, The: Hall Of Fame - Live From The Royal Albert Hall
The hall of fame DVD has dts, and from what I can tell the Red Rock DVD is just DD 2:0. I love dts...:D
But I love the song selection on Red Rocks show
Is the sound on the Hall of Fame show that great that it is the one to buy??

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Do what I did -- compromise and get them both! The concerts are completely different, with different set lists and orchestrations of the songs that are common. Also pick up "Legend of a Band." All three discs are worth it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
We got Red Rocks and Legend of a Band. My wife loves them both. As to the third disc...don't give her any ideas! :eek:

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The surround sound on Hall of Fame is really something special, especially on a track such as English Sunset. That DVD received an honor as one of the best-sounding music-related titles last year.

Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Hall of Fame sounds spectacular. It is one of the discs I use to demo my system for guests. Be aware that most of the bass is in the front left and right channels, and there is no 0.1 LFE channel. Not a problem if you have your speakers set up as small, or if bass from the front main channels is reduplicated to the sub ("both" setting on Yamaha receivers).

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, have to agree there - Hall of Fame sound is great (and that's just Dolby Digital, I don't have DTS :frowning:). Pity it wasn't anamorphic tho.

MattHR

Screenwriter
LIVE AT RED ROCKS indicates Dolby Digital (2.0) on the cover, but also includes a PCM track, which is unusual for Universal Music. It's switchable "on-the-fly", and renders the Dolby track useless upon comparison.

I have the RED ROCKS laserdisc (PCM), which I always thought sounded great, until I heard the HALL OF FAME dvd (DTS).

However, the RED ROCKS laserdisc's PCM is still superior to the DVD's PCM. Fuller sounding, with better detail in the orchestra's backing instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks