Which is the correct TV size for me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Ray, May 23, 2001.

1. Greg Ray

Greg Ray Auditioning

I've decided on the Toshiba H series but I'm struggling with either the 56h80 or the 65h80. The room is 24'x 13.5' but I can't really put the TV at either end. So my viewing distance is about 10'. Is that too close for the 65h80?
    Also, any opinions about extended warranties. I can get one for 4 years at $299. I generally don't go for these but I'm thinking seriously about getting this one.
    I appreciate any opinions out there.
    Greg

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Try the 56" to start, these things look bigger at home.
    I'm 11.5 ft from my Tosh 56X81, the picture is big enough, although I think the 65" would be ok also.
    Your dealer will no doubt be happier to upgrade to a more expensive model rather than exchange a larger model for smaller if you change your mind once you get one home.

3. Steven_C

Steven_C Extra

I have a formula that I use when asked what the correct viewing distance is for a certain screen size. This is for a 16/9 screen with progressive scan. Take the screen height and multiply it by 3.3. Then take the screen height and multiply it by 4.0. The 3.3 figure gives you a 30 degree viewing angle, and the 4.0 gives you a 25 degree viewing angle. Let's use the PRO-510HD as an example. It has a 26" screen height. The 30 degree viewing distance is just over 7 feet and the 25 degree viewing distance is just under 9 feet. So I would say the proper viewing distance from this set is 7 to 9 feet. Now comes my personal adjustment to this formula that most of you are familiar with. If you went to a movie theater and you could choose anywhere to sit, where would that be? If you said the center I would suggest around 8 feet as the correct viewing distance for 510HD. If you said the front row I would say 7 feet, maybe less. If you said the rear of the theater I would say 9 feet, maybe more. There is no perfect formula, but this one makes sense to me.