What's new

Which is better? S-video or Component Video (1 Viewer)

PaulShady

Agent
What is the difference between S-video cable and Component video cables? I found out PRICE definately is one difference, $40 for a 6 foot cable at ratshack.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Thanks,
Paul

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
s-video:split between 2 colors

component:split between 3 colors

component looks to be better in reliability/construction

thats about it any other questions?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, Mike was close but not quite there. S-video is not split between two colors but rather the split between Luma (brightness) and Chroma (all colors). That's why you often see S-video called Y-C. Component video adds another step. One cable (labled "Y") carries the luminance, just like svideo. Plug in just that cable and you will have a black and white image. The other two carry the difference between blue and the luminance (Cb) and the difference between red and the luminance (Cr). The color channels can be mathematically recombined with the luminance to give a full color picture. Typical benefits from component video are better resolution and improved color saturation. Perhaps some other members can correct me if I'm a little off, as it's been awhile since I was "in the know" on video.
Also, doing a google search yeilds a ton of information on the subject. :)
Paul,
FYI, if you are looking to buy from Radioshack, I'm 99% certain that they use the same cables for their A/V (red, white, yellow) as they do for their component cable. So buying those will be significantly cheaper. I believe several memebers of this board have done the same with favorable results.
Merry Christmas,
Dan Hine

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, a nice explanation there. I just want to clarify one thing here. The difference in component and s-video on like pieces of gear with similar quality cables is not night and day. Yes, there can be differences, but a great s-video connection can be very very close to component. With the composite though, the difference can be considerable, starting with fewer lines of resolution than either component or s-vid.

Lex

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Mike,
I know what you mean! I've been saying I'm going to upgrade my 27" TV for about a year and a half now. Maybe this year it will happen for me! ;) Wish me luck...
Doug,
Absolutely! I agree.
It's nice when people agree in a thread. :) 'Tis the season.
Dan Hine

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
i will have to wait till my 27" dies before i can upgrade(its a wife thing) but the good news is i think it might be soon!(movers messed it up 2 years ago and its been going down hill)

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I actually agree with Doug 100%

I have an s-video cable that gives up nothing to component cables.The differance is so small its almost not noticeable.

PaulShady

Agent
WOW, you guys really do know your stuff! Thats why I love this forum!
Thanks to all the reply,
Paul
Merry Christmas to all!
:D

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, finally someone agrees with me. Mark even! LOL.
Yes, it's true that S-video is a more delicate connection, and won't take a tremendous amount of abuse. S-video can be equated to a cicular mouse and keyboard connection. Eventually wear can occur with connections over and over. However, with higher quality cables that have a good metal housing at the contact points, the risk of bends is reduced. But it still wouldn't be a good idea to go running across a room and trip on one. :)
But RCA connections is definitely more durable!
A final consideration for all you HDTV wannabees or lucky bees. S-video will NOT carry High Definition Television. It simply doesn't have the required lines of resolution to handle it. That one, must be component unless it's an over the air broadcast, in which case, I don't think cabling of S-vid or component is an issue. I am speaking not of experience here, and sigh, I am non-HD. Don't read anything into that, please! lol.
Lex

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Doug,

I think that even OTA HD will need to use component unless the tv has a built in ATSC tuner. One exception of this is if you have RCA's DTC-100 which outputs through a VGA connector. But unless your tv has a VGA input you'll still need a transcoder to change it to component. Gosh, too many connections. I really hope firewire takes off pretty soon. One wire for each component? Sweet!

Dan Hine

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I wonder if Component will yeild much better results for me.
I am running a non HD NTSC 3 CRT RPTV (ABCD?) linked to a
Panny CV51 Interlaced running a Monster Svid from Receiver
to DVD and a Rat Shack Gold Svid from Receiver to TV.
I find that the picture is very sharp and saturation looks
to be fairly good but since I have never tried Component I
can't say it won't be drasticly better. I am running a 61"
so it may very well be night and day due to the screen size.
I am going to switch over anyway, I am just procrastinating..
Ohhhh I know what I can do.. Go to Best Buy and purchase a
pair of AR Pro Series Component Cables then open em and take
em back and buy them a week later for 10% of the original
Price.. LOL :) (I love buying open package cables at Best
Blunder!)

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
One thing to add: With my DVD player and TV, progressive scan is available only with a component video connection, not with S-video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks